Local high school hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Upgraded from el jaycar cheapo to a Minelab X-terra 305 last week and pretty much spent the weekend at the local high school. I love the x-terra and have pretty much dialled it in for school oval mode. I cut out all the lower frequency signals so I don't have to dig the pull tabs and I'm pretty confident that high school students don't wear gold rings. I also lose out on the 5c and some 10c but that's OK with me as I'd rather find the bigger denominations quicker. By the end of today I was only digging 20c, 50c (not that many, must be easy to spot for an early pick up) $1 and $2 and knew for certain what I was digging. Being free from the terror of ring pulls, I discovered the only thing worse was digging coins that had met with the mower blade. I don't mind the mangled 20c but when I was getting the gold coin signal I was hoping it was $2 and not a useless old mangled $1. I dread finding a mangled $1 mule or wavy 20c.

So all up for about 15 hrs work I got:

* Most importantly -experience on my new detector
* A small locket that was given to Nicole with Love from Dave for her 18th birthday. I was at first considering tracking Nicole to return her special 18th birthday present (the date was engraved also so I could have asked the school her name and matched the birthday) because untill I had cleaned it at home I thought it was with love from Dad. But I then realised Dave was probably just a long forgotten boyfriend.
* One half of a 'friends forever' charm.
* A small '13' charm. I'm not sure if all these charms are silver. There are no stamps but they gave pretty high readings and cleaned up nicely at home.
* A small sleeper earring
* A 1962 sixpence - My first predecimal. The school was built in 1976 so I was pretty suprised to find it. Wasn't too deep either.
* A 2004 5 yen coin
* And $51.10 - not including four mangled $1 and five mangled 20c and a 5c that looks like a taco.

All up it was a good weekend. Now i've just gotta go and lather my right arm with tiger balm ;)

Yeah L/R definitely an area where coins were plentiful. The half of the footy field closest to the main school buildings. I remembered from school days that you don't play end to end as it's too far to run for quick lunchtime games. Usually setup a smaller field and run sideline to sideline. Must've been HEAPS of coin rattling tackles. Also within about 20m each side of the cricket pitch and 25m from each end for those massive run ups that the bowlers take. 100m sprint section of the running track as well. Not so much action on the soccer field. The footy field was paying big time, that's why i went back for a second day :p

Latest posts