Living with Electric Vehicles

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point people generally forget with regards to EV’s is that basically they are a car being fuelled and propelled by a different power source. They still have the issue of emitting CO2 either directly or indirectly…nothing new or ground breaking..just marketing BS..

Meanwhile, in reality just one of the wars raging around the world. If the world could be at peace and EV's do as is forecast we could achieve a reduction?
Astronomic carbon footprint Russian/Ukraine war.
Notably, the war has an extremely large carbon footprint. Ukraine estimates the emissions from Russia's invasion to be roughly around 33 million tonnes of CO2 from the conflict and 23 million tonnes CO2 from fires caused by the conflict.
Excellent point, and there is another new conflict thats going to add even more to the total, So far the world is not exactly jumping in on buying EV's but in terms of reducing the total it's a good start, The UK is full of hollow promises, where they surgest green energy like solar and people don't want the panel across the country side and when the mention Wind farm they don't want that either, And they don't want Coal fire power stations and then they talk about Nuke power stations and then they don't want those either. so until someone just stands up and says this is what we are doing and tells the whingers to keep quiet they can't go foreward,

As far as individual homes goes I think personal solar is a great idea, and ever since solar came on the market It would of been a good idea to of fitted it to as many new build properties as possible be cause that would of reduced the extra strain on the Grid.

I thought 31 mil tons was coz of the pommie and US Tanks.

The wife and i were lucky to survive when our cruise control failed to turn off.
luckily we were only doing 60kph coming up to a tee intersection and managed to make the turn but not before using up all of the road and heading into oncoming traffic on the wrong side.

In our case when i touched the brake nothing happened, the brakes were screeching but the vehicle kept powering ahead.
WHAT HAPPENED? When you touch the brake it's supposed to de-activate the cruise control.
In this instance i had a blown brake light fuse which is also the fuse that the cruise control uses for de-activation.
I'm still having nightmares. Very scary stuff.
It doesn't have to be an EV for this to happen Nissan have made the right decision with the recall.

If the people that drive EV's have a complaint, I'll listne/read about it in order to learn.
As for those that complain about EV's without having/driving one, , , that be your worry.
Yes, I drive an EV Van.

If the people that drive EV's have a complaint, I'll listne/read about it in order to learn.
As for those that complain about EV's without having/driving one, , , that be your worry.
Yes, I drive an EV Van.
Hi nesral.
Tell us please if you don't mind.
Where do you recharge and how long does it take?
How long for a full recharge from home as opposed to a recharge station?

Hi all. Thought I might throw in a few general bits of info from my experience owning an EV for about 8 months now. Mainly related to charging.

When at home it is charged almost entirely by electricity from our solar panels. Currently only have a portable15A charger that will take the car from 20% to 80% in 12hours. So that generally happens over 2 or 3 days while the sun is up. At the house we are trying to finish building, there is a larger solar PV system and there will be a fixed charger that will take it from 20% to 80% in less than 6 hours. Many other EV models would do the same in under 4 hours on that same charger.

When travelling it is generally charged during the day when there is normally a large surplus of electricity on the grid and wholesale prices can even go negative. EVs charged during the day have the potential to make a significant contribution to grid stability.

The battery in our EV is 60kWhr.

At a DC charger it can charge at up to 80kW per hr. Even though it gradually slows rate of charge for about the last 10kWhr we have never been at a charger for more than 60 mins. 20% to 80% normally takes less than 40mins.

Temperature can make a difference to both charging rates, charging efficiency and mileage.
It takes about 11 to 11.5 kWh in to achieve a charge rate of 10kWhr.

The charging stops are normally an opportunity for a break, dunny, stroll around, coffee, dunny etc.
A recent trip to SA from the snowy valley region in NSW, involved 4 charging stops for the 1100km trip. Probably not fair to say that added 4 hours to the trip due to the other necessary activities during the stops.

The small country town we were visiting in SA only had 6kw per hour free charging at the visitors centre and 15A and 32A outlets in a park that are made available for people to use there own chargers on.

Will I travel more than a 400km in the EV during peak holiday madness periods? Absolutely not. The diesel ute will be used for that as I have no interest in some of the waiting around that I have read happens at those times.

Is there a load of BS misinformation about dangers and environmental impact of EVs? Absolutely.

Are there enough chargers available in all areas? Absolutely not.

Am I saving money on fuel and would still buy an EV after current experience? Definitely.

Would I currently recommend an EV to everyone? Nope. I would talk to them about the pros and cons, and their expectations. If you are thinking about buying one try to talk to as many owners as you can rather than other sources of info.
Ps. My car hasn't caught fire and the computer is yet to take control and drive us into a wall.

I ment to add, if you are interested in the location of charge stations of all types, the Plugshare app is a must have.

We all know from our detecting experience that batteries have a use by date.
Are second hand EV's saleable without batteries?
Just asking.

I'm looking to replace the batteries for my 5000 now before next season, they won't hold a charge. Show me one that lasts forever & i'll have one of those.
But seriously grubstake the longevity of EV batteries is a problem that has to be addressed.

Latest posts