Laws Regarding Metal Detecting In Sydney?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm about to receive my Garrett Ace 250 in the mail soon and I can't wait to take it for a swing but I have a question. What are the laws regarding metal detecting in Sydney, or NSW for that matter? I am new to this hobby so would like a bit of info that will stop me from doing anything illegal.

Can I metal detect on public land such as the local beach, parks or anywhere else on public land without getting into trouble? Obviously for private land, the permission of the landholder must be obtained and for National Parks or nature reserves detecting is a big no no but this question focuses more on public land. Fellow Sydney metal detectorists- did you need to obtain permission to go on beaches or parks and detect? If so who did you contact? The council?

I know the ethics regarding metal detecting- re-fill holes, put rubbish in the bin etc but am not sure if detecting is allowed on public land or not.

Cheers,
Paleo

I always thought it was aloud. As long as you don't go digging up footy ovals and cricket pitches your in the clear. Beaches are all good but I would also like to hear from someone that has some legal facts about the subject.

Cheers
Greg

My understanding is that detecting on public land is allowed unless stated otherwise by either local council or at a higher level. I'm not aware of any suburban detecting laws as such, but it's not to say they don't exist.

Most councils (if asked) will disapprove the digging up of local sporting grounds, playgrounds or other maintained recreational areas, and some may even have local regulations in place to prohibit it. A simple phone call is all that's needed to find out for sure.

School grounds are a definite no go zone and you can be fined for trespassing at a minimum.

If in doubt, always check with your local council.

Nugget.

I think the general rules of fossicking may apply. To detect something in school grounds etc is one thing , but to start digging holes would be a no no !. The beaches are fine , but most popular Sydney beaches are screened late at night, so you would have to get there before they clean it out

The beaches even in Sydney go for kilometres, look for the eroded areas after storms, even now after the recent storms would be good, I got about 30 bucks over a 50 metre stretch at Long Reef beach the other week and that's not even a hugely popular beach. Eroded and low sections are nearly always the best spots. Get amongst it, there is cash in that sand somewhere.........

Not really a screen that can catch coins I don't think, mainly just catches bigger rubbish and makes the beach look pretty for the tourists.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I have sent the local council an email regarding this so hopefully they should get back to me soon, then i'll have a definitive answer to share with you all.

Latest posts