Injuries and accidents while detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone suffered injuries or accidents while detecting .

About 12 months ago I was beach detecting on a night time hunt . Low pressure system of the coast was generating swell and I decided to rock hop across a headland to the other side as I have done many times before . Climbed up onto the first basalt Boulder and jumped to the next in the rain . Overbalanced forwards and then backwards and fell . I remember looking back at the jasper looking bedrock thinking this is going to hurt. I had a harness on at the time which gave a slight bit of cushioning and as I hit the bottom the swell came in . ..... hmm no pain.

I remember the water being warm and not too salty because of the amount of freshwater in the system .

The detector was okay as I could here it picking up signals through the headphones and my head light was still working so I could see under water . I was amongst the boulders now and used my metal sand scoop to wedge me through the rocks as the waves smashed overhead .

I was hoping the boulders were not moving and because of their size they seemed stable.

As I made my way through the maze I managed to climb up onto another Boulder to see my way out , about 4 meters in front I saw a flat sandy spot , as the waters receded .

In one of the few perfect jumps I had done in my life I managed land on the spot with all my gear , except there was one problem , the sand turned out to be settled foam . Down I plunged about 2 meters into the water between to basalt boulders with one having the sand being gauged from underneath.

I knew then I needed to get to the surf and out of the rocks .

As I made my way out to the surf and around I could see I had about 100 or so metres to go and realising there were still boulders underneath me , I still was in much danger.

The equinox and scoop were tethered to me by bungee cords and I positioned them underneath me for protection and allowed the swell to push me over the top of the rocks .

Still no pain , so far so good .

As I headed in towards the beach, the boulders started to jut out . Although smaller in size, they we no less dangerous . And because I could stand up , I could also get knocked over .

And thats exactly what happened for the next 20 minutes until I reached the beach and pulled my self together and checked for injury.

Shins bleeding from a million cuts that was about all I suffered . All equipment seemed fine .

I tailed it back across the headland using the path and as I was climbing the steps watching my blood drip onto the ground I was stopped by a bloke with a head light.

I thought he was going to ask if I was okay , but instead was I out there looking for coins and what detector I was using .

I said in an annoyed tone to the first question , yes , I was looking for coins out there . And to the second question as I pulled up the Knox , i realised the detector was in 2 pieces .

You could not of done a perfect laser cut clean through even if you tried . It was then I realised how lucky I was not to loose my life or suffer more serious injury , and how stupid I was to underestimate the conditions.

Anyways I tailed it back to the car and since the cable on the detector was not cut , I detected on the way back to the car holding the bottom half with the coil in my left hand and the top part in my right . As I neared the car I heard a familiar signal pulling up a silver ring .

I wish I took a picture of the detector but the blokes at gold diggers did and in a happy ending I had a new detector back within four days from minelab.

1619848517_9be9fa15-9a34-4a9f-8654-a19668589479.jpg

1619848517_d468662c-f922-4e2f-ad7c-43a7292f7ffb.jpg

Parked on an angle, and I went to get something out of the car, and gravity slammed to door shut on my little finger. That was about 8 days ago and my finger is still as sore as!

I put Vicks on my mozzie bites as it takes the sting out of it and stops you scratching it..

I then reply it every couple of hours :)

goody2shoes said:
I put Vicks on my mozzie bites as it takes the sting out of it and stops you scratching it..

Nah. Claratyne. One a day

I once fell because my arm was locked in the arm rest holder with the wrist strap Velcro when I tripped on an exposed tree root and could not get it out in time and fell head first into some big rocks.
I smashed into them full weight into my left temple. I was not fully knocked out but mate I was in la la land for several minutes. I felt full on sick for several weeks. My dr had me get scans and it showed damage to my sinus cavity that side. The scans showed up black in an area that should not have, I was put on meds, anti biotics as it showed infection of some kind there from the resulting fall and accumulated blood. It took 3 months to feel right. Have never locked my arm in since.

goody2shoes said:

thanks i will try that next time. Got a really bad reaction to the bites. took a week to got down. itching drove me nuts. I wear gaiters and long pants. cheers hh

Latest posts