VIC Beaches detecting laws

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just thought that I'd touch base on laws to metal detecting on Victorian beaches that are situated on National Parks, reserves etc. as this information is difficult to find on the internet and never trust anyone's word, you may just go out and come back with a fine to show for it.

There are 2 ways in which you can find out if you can metal detect on a beach:

- Call parks Victoria on 13 19 63, they have all the information in which the website does not but be aware you may be on hold for a while and there are a few options to go through in the automated system till you get to an actual human!
- Ultimately come up with a list of beaches which you want to metal detect and email [email protected].

Emailing comes with more benefits then calling:

- You don't have to listen to shitty music when on hold (Yippee).
- You have all the evidence in your email.
- You can enquire about multiple areas and have a list of areas you can detect. (go to one spot. no good? on to the next :perfect: ).

Yes there no easy way like having the information on the website which they should had obviously done but I hope this has helped some people out.

Happy hunting everyone. :Y:

I am not sure , but I think everything below the high water mark is ruled by the Maritime Board . National Parks can only rule down to the high water mark ?

Mike678 said:
I am not sure , but I think everything below the high water mark is ruled by the Maritime Board . National Parks can only rule down to the high water mark ?

Yep and some marine parks and reserves and or water ways cross all sorts of boundaries.

Let alone private beaches and or resorts. Some have special rules if beach / water sports are involved as their insurance comes to play.

And what works in one state my not be the same in another AND many countries have all sorts of rules and regs; let alone local mafia etc.

Mike678 said:

Yeah not too sure on that, could be right?

I just called them up when I was out detecting a few weeks ago and they said that not all national parks you can detect on the beach and there's no info on the website so gotta call/email them because they'll tell you where you can detect and not.

of course emailing would be better because you can look on google before you next go and email them with a list.

Your list gives them a list :argh: if they can't offer immediate accurate accessable information, how can they then turn around and say it's a no go zone :|

It is their duty to make information freely available on where is and isn't available for public use in all forms of recreation, access etc. You'll find just taking to multiple people will render you more confused than ever by virtue of the answers you receive. Put simply they struggle to understand let alone know wher is and isn't :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting to go where you please, always check if you have any concerns. However if the authorities can't provide you with accurate information through researching their website don't expect what your told or receive as written information to be any different :beer:

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...h/news-story/5f5378a43851170893dedc7eee8150c3

All of the beaches in Australia are technically Crown land, meaning they're for public use. As a general rule of thumb, any land that high tide touches known as the high water mark is Crown Land.

Australia has some of the best beaches in the world and they are all free. Unlike many Europeans, we don't have to pay for sun beds and umbrellas. ... Our beaches are public places for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-are-the-spiritual-centre-of-a-secular-nation

If somebody tries to tell you they own a beach in Australia they are dreaming.
All of our beaches are free access to all Australians and visitors from over seas.

Always nice and shows responsibility BUT if asking for info on areas of legitimate detecting locations remember that this is a VERY unusual request that the responsible authority gets and they JUST MIGHT take the easy option of saying NO GO.

Never seem anyone banned from digging deep holes, building high sandcastles etc on any beach (NP or other) so I'd just go for it.

I got told off by a woman for digging holes in the wet sand .....

Many years ago my mother used to pick up rubbish on the beach . She was told by another woman , that she should not do that as it was doing a council worker out of a job ! She was serious .

Mike678 said:

Some waters off the coast are classified as Marine Parks. They are basically off shore National Parks.

Mike678 said:
I got told off by a woman for digging holes in the wet sand .....

Many years ago my mother used to pick up rubbish on the beach . She was told by another woman , that she should not do that as it was doing a council worker out of a job ! She was serious .

There are nutters everywhere, However if you dig a deep hole in the wet sand then fill it before you leave....Sure the rising/falling tide will do the job for you, we all know that and the tides clear the beaches every day, but don't give the nutters any ammunition.

Adrian ss said:
This area could be a trap for young players.
https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/cooloola/about/faq

Wouldn't want to get ship wrecked or force land yer cessna on one of these beaches aye.....Ya might be fined for saving your own life.

Most of that is common sense BUt these days few have it and they are all entitled and it is about their perceived rights ; ignoring all others.

So many places have been trashed by the Bog%@$ that previously went OS; but now they are restricted to places closer to home.

You one need to see some of teh FB Posts and Questions re camping on/in remote National parks etc to get an idea... These are just some from Morten Island....

# Why are there no flushing toilets
# Where are the showers
# Why is there no water taps or showers
# Why is there no WiFi signals - What ISP do I need to change to, if I want to stream movies
# Why can I not dial 112 or 000 these are emergency numbers that work every where else around Australia
# Will Coles or Woolworths do deliveries
# I need my nails re done and a pedicure; who do I contact.
# Can I get my 26ft Van through the bush tracks ... I have an AWD and Max Tracks.
# What pressure should I let my 33" low profile tires down to ?

The list goes on but that is the society of today.

Latest posts