Hill End Historic Site draft plan - Have your say

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasko

Matt
Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone with an interest in Hill End should have a read of the Hill End Histiric Site draft plan & make comment by January 4 2021.
https://www.nsw.gov.au/have-your-say/hill-end-historic-site-draft-plan

On a whole the document doesn't pose a great deal of threat to hobby fossickers/prospectors. I do 100% agree with the conservation of these historic sites & the need to protect them.
There are a few areas of concern though.
NPWS Hill End Historic Site Draft Management Plan said:
The historic site is almost completely surrounded by the Hill End and Tambaroora Common which comprises approximately 2500 hectares of Crown land managed by the Hill End and Tambaroora Common Trust under the Commons Management Act 1989. Parts of the site are held under Part 11 of the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 including most of the former town of Tambaroora, and some isolated parcels to the west and southwest of Hill End village. These lands are vested in the Minister for Energy and Environment and are managed as if they were part of the gazetted historic site.
There have been several areas acquired by NPWS under Part 11 of the NPWS Act basically giving them control over parcels deemed to have historical significance. This isn't really a huge issue (at the moment) other than these areas are not clearly marked & may be inadvertently thought to be part of the Common hence ok to detect, dig etc.
I put in that these areas should be NPWS responsibility to mark/barricade & maps should be available at the Visitors Info Centre.
I had been previously unaware of these Part 11 areas.
The areas are marked in the draft along with other NPWS no go areas:
1608251938_20201204_161041.jpg

1608251964_20201204_160936.jpg

As a heads up it appears NPWS will be putting together a strategy for more of these types acquisitions:
NPWS Hill End Historic Site Draft Management Plan said:
Develop a land acquisition strategy capable of responding to market opportunities for property with recognised heritage significance within or adjoining Hill End village and in Tambaroora.

As part of the Hill End Historical Site Draft Management Plan they also have a Hill End Historic Site Draft Planning Considerations document available here:
https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/...d-historic-site-draft-planning-considerations
Again no real threat to hobby fossickers/prospectors though I did highlight the following that I thought was erroneously added.
NPWS Historic Site Draft Management Plan Considerations said:
While fossicking is not allowed within the boundaries of the historic site (see Section 3.4), fossicking is a permissible use on the Common and has resulted in significant ground disturbance in places and the illegal collection of relics. The Heritage NSW is responsible for enforcing compliance with the provisions of the Heritage Act for the Crown land.
In my submission I pointed out that legal hobby fossicking/prospecting has not resulted in significant ground disturbance. Any ground disturbance made by legal fossicking is insignificant, especially in comparison to the gold rush diggings.
The only area/s I've seen modern significant ground disturbance out there on the Common was obviously caused by the use of machinery (illegal mining?).
As such instead of listing "fossicking" as the cause of significant ground disturbance NPWS should have a section in their list of Considerations that specifically addresses all illegal activities like shooting/hunting, 4WD, mining/fossicking, firewood collection etc. that doesn't single fossicking out or suggest that an otherwise legal activity on Crown Land is the cause of significant ground disturbance.

Anyhow if interested in the area have a look & make comment if you want to. Pretty straight forward & can be done via an online form.

Good stuff Mbasko...as always! :D Will jump into a submission ASAP....Every opportunity to have a say in these processes is an exercise in free speech and a vital part of our Democratic System....I encourage all and sundry to take that opportunity and make a submission.
A very big thank you to Mbasko is warranted... :trophy: for his continuing efforts to bring these issues to our attention and constantly keeping us up to date and in the loop. :Y: :cool:
Footnote:Submission made..very simple and quick...Please people, ;) consider making one of your own. Cheers Rossco.

Latest posts