Ky from Canberra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.

My name's Ky and I live in Canberra. Long time forum reader, first time poster.

When I was a kid my Grandfather and I would go fossicking around the Canberra and Queanbeyan region. It's one of those memories that's enveloped by a warm glow.

Anyway Pop passed away recently. The feeling of loss was overwhelming, the world seemed to have lost a bit of colour and I didn't know how to process it all.

Recently I've been trying to focus on the nice memories, rather than the sadness. So I did a bit of research on Google, watched a few videos, brought some basic equipment and trotted off into the wild looking for treasures.

I'd pretend my Pop was walking with me and I'd chat with him as we walked. I'm not religious and I don't believe in the afterlife, so it didn't feel intuitive to speak to something I don't believe is there but it did help. I'd ask him to "show me where the shinies are" ?

Since then I've developed a passion for prospecting/fossicking and have found some nice crystals and rocks, which are the main reason I registered today as I need the group's wisdom to help identify what I've found.

Anyway that's the basics, thanks for reading.

Ky.

Ky, welcome to the forum, hope that you enjoy the forum and someone is able to help with the identification of the crystals and rocks. I understand your feelings and memories of your Grandfather, I have fond memories of my Grandfather when I was young, he lived in the Rye Park region on a farm and I would get to go and stay and we would take the dogs and a mattock and go after rabbits, then there were the tractor rides and just walks to check on the sheep or at times a huge fire to get rid of the tussocks or what ever needed to be burnt.

Then on coming back to the house Grandmother had the glass of fresh milk along with fresh homemade Anzac biscuits. Those memories will stay with me forever as I feel that it was the best time of my youth, so I fully understand, it was all a long time ago now, but the feelings are still there, anyway I hope that you enjoy your time here. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Graham

Welcome aboard Ky..... always good to feel someone helpful looking over your shoulder....whether iit's real or not hey ! Good luck on the hunt ! :D

Sorry to hear about your loss mate can only hope that time helps, it's awesome though that you have this great way of remembering him. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

G'day Ky welcome to PA, great intro :Y: don't worry about taking with you Pop your not alone there mate and you right it does help in a weird way. Looking forward to seeing your pictures of finds so get busy and rack up your 10 post's :power: I'm sure you receive either the answers your looking for or good opinion to help you research some more.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.

Although not able to create links, I think I can put my pics in a post so here goes:

1. Palm-sized rock with dark blue tinge:
1551229058_php8mmn92pm.jpg

2. One of the many cavernous, heavy chunks of this crystal thingymajig that I've found:
1551229248_phpgxcn85pm.jpg

3. Finally, a bunch of these things that Google image search repeatedly tells me is Turkish bread:
1551229330_20190226_140255.jpg

I have piles of the stuff to go through and check yet so there'll be lots more pics down the track. :D

DropBear said:
Welcome dude!

Down at Bredbo you can find some gems ;)

:perfect:

Thanks for the heads-up Tim! Anywhere in particular mate or just generally?

Cheers.

Latest posts