New here, blindly optimistic!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have very fond memories of spending my school holidays in Charters Towers with my grandparents, doing some gold panning and feeling like I’d find my fortune as an 8 year old! Didn’t really work out that way, but 30 years later here I am :)
Me and the hubby are taking our kids out to the Towers this weekend and I’d love to teach my girls all about prospecting and give them something for show and tell after the school holidays. We have a basic panning kit (metal detectors are a bit out of our reach!) and a fossicking licence for Young’s Block. I would welcome any advice on what to do, what to look for, or even if you think it’s a waste of time! Any other spots around that might yield a result? Thanks so much :)
Pam

Welcome to PA Pam!
When panning in a stream, think like a piece of gold.... I'm heavy, where would I like to take a rest!!
Natural bedrock, inside corners of faster streams, all make nice resting places for 'heavies'!!

Welcome to the Forum Pam.

That part of QLD is a bit outside of my prospecting range so hopefully someone on here closer can give you some informative advice. What I can add though is it's "never" a waste of time, as no matter what you find, even if only a quartz crystal, the chase is what the kids will remember and the experience is what memories are made of. Good luck with it and hope you have a great holiday.....Wal.

Latest posts