Heathcote reef lines and alluvial areas for Google Earth - from Lidar

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been putting together a couple of files for funsies (don't even have a gold detector at the moment!) over the last few nights regarding the Heathcote goldfield, and I figure that it could be useful for others. I've created separate files for both reef lines and alluvial / surfacing based on the relatively recent 1m resolution Lidar data that's publicly available. Attached is a zip with those files in both Google KML format and geopackage for QGIS. Some notes:
* The usual, these files don't imply prospecting access to the ground covered, please check if you're allowed to prospect in any given spot before you head out.
* Pretty much all the decent hard-rock mines (and anything that to my eye looked like a linear row of shafts or pits) are there, the line is named if known but the state of putting names to mines at Heathcote is a dog's breakfast at the moment by the looks. Both the department maps and Geovic are woeful. I'm interested in the history so I'll be looking to update the file with more names when I can attach them to workings.
* The alluvial layer is a bit dynamic based on the density of pits in any given area, I've tried to create shapes that convey information about where the good gravel was, sometimes that meant cutting out a couple of outlying dud prospecting pits. And I haven't worried a lot about tracing out underneath the town, not much point for the modern prospector! In some places, property owners have filled in all the alluvial pits so well that it's barely discernible in the data, but I've punched the layer through a few of these for continuity, doubt the laws of nature change too often.
* None of this is ground truthed beyond the memories in my head of being out there over the years, some of the surfaced areas I'm sure are difficult to interpret in the Lidar, and no doubt I've probably marked out a few gravel borrow pits and minor hard-rock stuff as surfacing too. And there's tons of just one-off scattered pits throughout the field that are pretty tough to give much importance to when you're trying to summarise the whole lot.

Basic workflow was:
Grabbing the DEM tiles of interest off https://elevation.fsdf.org.au/
Install QGIS and merge the DEM raster tiles into one file
Install the Relief Visualisation Toolbox plugin and run the Sky-view Factor visualisation on the DEM
Go to the display properties for the new layer and bump the gamma down to 0.1 for best viewing.

Compare and contrast to the 1956 geological map and the Doug Stone prospecting maps which didn't have the luxury of a perfect laser scan when they were made...Screenshot 2022-06-04 205901.png

Attachments

• Heathcote Gold Lidar.zip
    149 KB · Views: 24
Thank you very much Guessologist, greatly appreciated..
I have some Heathcote detecting information although I haven't yet been, I want to detect there.
Not a computer power user I downloaded a google recommended playstore app for QGIS; where I was immediately requested to purchase baby wipes, and then to have my eyes tested. Spudded that one in an instant!
I have downloaded QField and that seems best.
Cheers
Wilko

All very interesting, it's times like this I wish I had a patients to just sit there and become more proficient with what's available out there. Hope you get a detector and get rewarded for your efforts.
Cheers T.

Can't see any Lidar tiles to choose from - or how to choose. Any tips? I'm guessing it is point cloud data (nothing says Lidar)

There's an Order Data button in the top right that takes you to a tool to draw an area of interest with, then it gives you a list of the data tiles available. In the Heathcote area it has 50 centimetre resolution digital elevation model tiles derived from a 2020 lidar survey, they're the ones I've been using. The full point clouds are available for that survey too.

thanks for your post - it's the "kicker" that I needed to start on something I've been thinking about for a couple of years now... I see that the DEM 1 metre resolution elevation files for my area of interest were re-processed to 5 metre resolution :(

There's an Order Data button in the top right that takes you to a tool to draw an area of interest with, then it gives you a list of the data tiles available. In the Heathcote area it has 50 centimetre resolution digital elevation model tiles derived from a 2020 lidar survey, they're the ones I've been using. The full point clouds are available for that survey too.
Thanks for that

thanks for your post - it's the "kicker" that I needed to start on something I've been thinking about for a couple of years now... I see that the DEM 1 metre resolution elevation files for my area of interest were re-processed to 5 metre resolution :(
It's a rainy Saturday in Gippsland so I've downloaded QGIS, it was a huge download at 2.9Gb :oops: .........just gotta work out how it all works now.

I've got my DEM files - just gotta work out how to "merge" them and open them in QGIS....... or is it open them in QGIS and then "merge" them, I think it's the latter...

Last edited:
.... an improvement of sorts
.... the area is roughly the size of an AFL ground (it's an 1870's Saw Mill site). I'm unsure if the huge pixel blocks are due to the original geoscience file resolution (doubtful IMHO) or the way QGIS is rendering and displaying the image (IMO most likely). I have watched a handful of YouTube tutorials but none touch on this issue. There is an error message re RVT (this refers to the relief visualisation toolbox plugin) "you didn't select raster" but I can't discover where to do that! .......in anycase it's all quite puzzling because what is displayed on screen is actually a raster image albeit a tad overblown . QGIS Help didn't help here either. By way of comparison I'll try again with a Heathcote file and see what I get.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

.... the area is roughly the size of an AFL ground (it's an 1870's Saw Mill site). I'm unsure if the huge pixel blocks are due to the original geoscience file resolution (doubtful IMHO) or the way QGIS is rendering and displaying the image (IMO most likely). I have watched a handful of YouTube tutorials but none touch on this issue. There is an error message re RVT (this refers to the relief visualisation toolbox plugin) "you didn't select raster" but I can't discover where to do that! .......in anycase it's all quite puzzling because what is displayed on screen is actually a raster image albeit a tad overblown . QGIS Help didn't help here either. By way of comparison I'll try again with a Heathcote file and see what I get.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well I got it sussed out...... My DEM download is the 1 second Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) Digital Elevation Model Version 1.0 package which comprises three surface models: the Digital Elevation Model (DEM), the Smoothed Digital Elevation Model (DEM-S) and the Hydrologically Enforced Digital Elevation Model (DEM-H). The DEMs were derived from the SRTM data acquired by NASA in February 2000 and were publicly released under Creative Commons licensing from November 2011 in ESRI Grid format. Digging a little deeper I find that the 1 second data is a 30metre grid - so I'm looking at 30x30metre squares in my image rather than 0.5x0.5metre (50x50cm) squares in the OP's Heathcote pic where the data is just 2 years old compared to 20 years for my data.
I'm encouraged to look at few prospective panning locations to see what is under the tree canopy so hopefully the DEM data is up to date in those areas.

Last edited:

Latest posts