Knee Replacement / s

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Far out you blokes.... I was lucky, my knees were getting stuck sometimes and I asked tbe doctor about them (when I was younger) he said there's these rough bits that keep growing and wear away over time.... you know to help keep it all there and smoother for mobility.
He told me to go climb a mountain or walk.up some big hills to wear them down a bit.... so I did, and it worked for me..... but that was way back then hey (my knees are still fine now)
That was about 35yrs ago.
:D

AngerManagement it is not good being confined and restricted. I had an arthroscope operation in 1998 and then again in 2008. The second one was to remove two large bits that were moving around and occasionally jamming up my knee under the kneecap and causing it to collapse and partially dislocate. The surgeon did the second operation to give me back some stability as I was in danger of having a serious fall at work. I had already gotten away with some lucky escapes. I could have had a knee replacement back then but the surgeon said I should see if I could last a bit longer. I managed another ten years as I eventually had the replacement in 2018. The second arthroscope didn't help with the pain but it gave me a stable knee joint and I was able to cope with the discomfort and pain without the need for any anti-inflammatory drugs or pain killers. A knee replacement is a big step and ultimately it will be your decision when the time comes. I knew it was time in Sept.2017 when I was limiting my detecting to within 500metres of the car. After a day detecting I wouldn't get too much sleep due to the pain. Each morning by the time I had got dressed, had breakfast and was ready for the day I had used up all my good steps. For the rest of the day walking just hurt and it had been that was since 2008. I didn't enjoy my last trip overseas as much either as there was a lot of walking that left me very sore. In Oct. 2017 I saw my surgeon who had done both my other operations. He looked at only one x-ray and said he didn't need to see any more. The knee was totally stuffed. But it was up to me to say yes I want to have the knee replacement. There was no pressure or suggestion from him telling me what I should do. After seeing the surgeon I didn't get done for another ten months( June) as there were too many things that I had to do. I thought it would be better to be stuck inside for the winter months. Whatever course you take AM. Good luck. The way back from a knee replacement can be tough but worthwhile. It has been for me anyway.
Oh and Nightjar If you happen to continue following the thread don't be discouraged. At five months you're still travelling at par for the course. I had graduated to detecting mullock heaps but at five months I wasn't pain free and I wasn't doing a days gardening or shed work. I was still doing three to five sessions of physio at home, working on climbing up steps without using rails. Far from pain free and just starting to phase in things like gardening. I would maybe mow the lawn one day but leave the edge trimming for the next day. All the maintenance chores were gradually phased in over time. Be patient but continue to work at that physio. Good luck to you too and hold onto some hope of detecting later this year. There is still eight months of it left. A defeatist attitude won't get you anywhere. All the best to both of you.

Cheers Bob.

Thanks BOB....

Been some time since I did any real detecting and not sure the future will hold many more opportunities for some quality time in the field for many reasons.

Been 12 months since I last got away and did a bit.

The hard part for me is that I own and live in a rather large Queenslander and the house and the yard require a solid ongoing effort to maintain.

While I would hate to loose the spare shed and access to metal and wood working gear etc. I am open to a move as it is just the 2 of us in a place fit for 5.

My wife however is a diferent story... doubt she will be moved even when hell freezes over.

Thus my biggest concern is my ability to maintain the place. It is only once you become a tad immobile that one realizes how much bloody leg work is involved. Was planning to clean up and down size over the next 10 years.

At 63 I am still way too young to be put down. But even my 88 year old dad is more active and mobile....

Interesting.... Lots of minor issues LOL... PCR and LFT not ideal but could be any number of reasons.

Had a gut full of Pain meds and being Immobilised HOWEVER: 6am Tuesday the 2nd I go in for a TKR :) or is it ?

Been in some nasty places around the world and were situations were not ideal or supporting of a safe return home. But it never seemed to be an issue. Been under the knife way too many times and months in hospitals over the years...

But the thought of a TKR and Rehab is giving me the sh1ts, bloody anxiety that I have not had previously... Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Chat in a few weeks time :)

AngerManagement said:
But the thought of a TKR and Rehab is giving me the sh1ts, bloody anxiety that I have not had previously... Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Chat in a few weeks time :)

All the best AM, My surgeon and GP have told me more than once, "You're expecting too much too soon." Everything is proceeding normally and 3 to 12 months recovery is not uncommon.

:Y: :power: :clap: :perfect:

Nightjar - Your graphic in a SQUAT is offensive roflmfao

I have been advised that it will never happen ever again... Then again it has been a few years since I last was able to, if I was to include teh left knee.

You guys all stay safe and healthy as the Travel and Camping restriction lift.

My wife has two knee replacements and Parkinsons and she can squat down!

Didnt say she was stable though. :playful:

Rehab, rehab, rehab and youll be able to do most things and be pain free eventually.

AngerManagement said:
Have made the call previously; we often take our physical health for granted and then reality hits home.

For many of us there is no Check Eng Light warning and or we ignored it for a tad too long and then we get caught out.

As we get older I am sure there are a few here that have had hips and or knees replaced. I have been in strife for a few years post lots of damage some 40 years ago and about 8 operations to date. And now I am advised that a replacement is the only option.

The Covid-19 relaxations have caused fun and games for the schedules and who has moved up and or down the priority list. See the man this Wednesday to set a date and time to have it done.

Interested in any first hand experience Re Recovery time and Impact on your Mobility, post a knee replacement - focusing on Camping and Detecting activities !!!!!
5 months post op knee replacement. Back to detecting and boating. Just cant sit back on my heels but hope in time I can. I am kneeling although it feels a bit strange. I was up and walking 3 hours after operation. Got to get moving.
More than welcome to PM me if you are in Vic and looking for a surgeon.
Cheers Tania

My missus had her knee joint replaced and a nee knee cap and had a invasive scist below the joint and a bone graft...finally. 2 weeks ago now. Shes now walking unaided. Pin pointer works well on her knee :p .
Shes still taking meds and having trouble sleeping. But getting better every day. Went shopping with her today but shes tired now. Told her shes not doing anything tomorrow or next day.

Cannot stress enough - the effort put in with 'pre-hab' (exercise before the operation) can dramatically improve the quality of your rehab results after the operation(s).
If your knees have given you a lot of grief over the years you will definitely notice the improvement.
Follow the health professionals instructions, especially to avoid things like infection.
The medical field has come a long way baby, don't be scared, be excited :)
Good luck :heart:

Hi anger management, yes had a knee replacement 2 1/2 yrs ago at 70 and I am looking to have the other replaced later this year if possible. Recovery seems slow to start but like most things, time & effort is the key to getting back to what you like doing, so DO the exercise sessions by the book & DON'T go slack on 'em!
For me my new knee didn't feel like it belonged for about 12 months but that doesn't mean it was painful or anything just different, although the first few weeks you WILL need strong pain management to help you with recovery exercises. Don't be a hero & decline the pain killers because if it's hurting then you won't want to do them. 2 years later I'm not aware that I've had surgery. Swinging a detector post surgery means I had to improvise my swing. I'm a right hand swinger & had my right knee replaced so had to extend my shaft length & modify the arc in its swing to avoid getting too close to my metal knee. Do the surgery, you won't be sorry.
Hope this helps. Ol' Codger. :beer:

Don't want to get off topic, but BigWave mentioned watching his knee surgery on the big screen.

Just less than three years ago I had a prostate procedure called prostate artery embolization. It is a relatively new procedure where an interventional radiologist goes in through an artery in your left arm, snakes a tube up the arm and down to the prostate, and injects little plastic beads into the arteries feeding the prostate. This blocks off the blood supply and causes the prostate to shrink. Results were excellent (after the first week when the prostate gets inflamed and angry and you are pissing razors). The procedure is a day surgery and has almost zero side effects. I did not want to have the TURP operation (the re-bore) as I know a few blokes who have had serious side effects - incontinence and impotence.

Anyway the whole thing is shown on a TV set above the table, so the radiologist can route the tube properly. I asked if I could watch, so they just sedated me instead of knocking me out. Very weird seeing the tube working its way around inside you, and you could see a little cloud when they injected the beads.

Now I often sleep through or just get up once (a mug of tea before bed!), much better than three, four or more times, and no more duodart or other medication.

DrDuck that's the best bit of news Iv'e heard for a long time. Was not game to mention surgery to my GP for fear of the TURP route. Hang on I need another p##s !!

ol'codger said:
DrDuck that's the best bit of news Iv'e heard for a long time. Was not game to mention surgery to my GP for fear of the TURP route. Hang on I need another p##s !!

OC, a lot of the GP's don't know about the procedure, I had to get the info to give my GP to get a referral. It was done at Liverpool in Sydney.

Some urologists don't like the procedure because the TURP operation is their bread and butter.

I haven't had a knee replacement but know quite a few that have .
It seems that the ones that have access to a pool recover faster and have a much better outcome than those who don't .
Maybe its the low impact of exercising in the water .
Just a suggestion for what its worth .

1591251979_knee.jpg

ALL I CAN SAY IS ...............

Pain meds not agreeing with me at all.

P/Opp day 4 came home and not in a good place mentally and with the pain.

Now 7 days and 3 days of ups and downs at home.
Constipation is a big issue re drugs and last thing I need is an infection....

17th is off to the Drs for a review / follow up as to progress and range of movement....

I take my hat off to all who have been b4 be and those that follow. PS. Those that take on a DTKR are just mad.....

Latest posts