Judging/grading detectors.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotrob

Rob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've had very little exposure to the vast range of detectors available now & in the past (apart from the SDC2300 & the GPX4500) which I use.
A friend is wanting to join our prospecting past time but doesn't want to start with a GPZ. He has been looking at second hand detectors & is asking if an SD 2200 is better/worse than a GPX4000 or is a 1700 better than either of them.
I don't know so I'm asking the question on his behalf.
Can you please list the range of (new & old) detectors from best to worst so he can get some idea of where to start.
Thanks guys.
Rob.

Those are some pretty old devices. My concern would be battery life and cost of replacing battery.
Not to say these are not really good machines they are, but make sure they are in good condition.
What is the replacement battery worth?

Any of them are good & different people will have different opinions on them. For example a lot of people swear by the SD2200D & still have them as a back up.
IMO the older machines have good depth but can lack the sensitivity + ground handling of the GPX onwards but at the right price an older SD/GP series can be a good starting point.
Another thing to keep in mind now is repairs if needed & Minelab may not or may not be able to repair anything older than a GPX4000 https://www.minelab.com/anz/customer-care/product-notices/discontinued-products
Generally most will likely advise you to get the latest Minelab model you can afford.
Minelab timeline: https://www.minelab.com/anz/metal-detectors/gold-detectors

One other option might be to check out the QED. If in Victoria he may be able to check one out first. IMO the QED is close to the GPX series but at a more affordable entry price new.

Oh and best to worse is really subjective. and depends on the users experience, settings and ground you are detecting.
Personally I would say a GPX4500 is better than a GPX4000 having said that some guys can really make the
4000 work well and find gold. It all comes down to experience.

Sorry really hard question to answer. Mind you I would love a GPZ but know I wold be living in my ute if I were to buy one :)

HoudiniHarry said:
Those are some pretty old devices. My concern would be battery life and cost of replacing battery.
Not to say these are not really good machines they are, but make sure they are in good condition.
What is the replacement battery worth?
Battery replacement is negligible compared to other things that could go wrong. Batteries for SD/GP series are readily available or packs made if you can.
Finding someone who can legitimately repair things when Minelab won't isn't easy either.

Latest posts