Jerky.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the best meat everyone's used I've tried heaps of different supermarket meats also lots of feral critters feral goat/feral donkey/feral camel/feral horse/roo/scrub bull the best was feral horse the best jerky I've ever made cheers Muk.

Has anyone made in out of ground meat (mince)?? I read about a jerky gun that squeezes it out in flat strips. Sounds a bit weird and how would you marinate that I wonder.

GT :)

Muk said:
What's the best meat everyone's used I've tried heaps of different supermarket meats also lots of feral critters feral goat/feral donkey/feral camel/feral horse/roo/scrub bull the best was feral horse the best jerky I've ever made cheers Muk.

You need lean meat as fat will go rancid. Anything lean will do. I have used silverside. Soak it in water for a while to release some of the salt and don't add salt to your marinade,

goldtruck59 said:
Has anyone made in out of ground meat (mince)?? I read about a jerky gun that squeezes it out in flat strips. Sounds a bit weird and how would you marinate that I wonder.

some jerky you buy is a ground meat formed flat and the texture is all wrong in my opinion, i had some kangaroo jerky like that and was not a fan of it at all

jamie said:
goldtruck59 said:

some jerky you buy is a ground meat formed flat and the texture is all wrong in my opinion, i had some kangaroo jerky like that and was not a fan of it at all

Thanks mate for the answer. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Just started considering making Beef Jerky as its yummy.

I want to know which cuts of meat they use to make those 2 foot long Jerky sticks you always find at outback roadhouses. I was chewing on one of those for a whole day last trip to WA.

Made another couple of bAtches added a fair bit of sweet chilli sauce to the mix very nice not to sweet and as you chew very slow wArm which keeps going the more you chew trouble is I can't help it I swallow it to fast so I can get another bit.cheers Muk.

Latest posts