Jerky.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks RJ. I followed your links and the various recipes, and have ordered a dehydrator (and Liquid Smoke - many types to trial). I've been buying Jerky (pricey), but would now like to make it in bulk cause the rats (kids) seem to raid it all - can't hide that stuff. They can now make their own :lol:

Cheers ramjet about posts on jerky pretty new to this forum stuff I will be making my jerky hot from now on to keep free loaders at bay cheers Muk.

Hi all I too make jerky and it seams to evaporator on me ha kids, but iv over come that now bye making it out of roo meat and flavoring mine in hot chilli :) but that has its own down side if u know what I mean ;-)

have posted it before but here is my improvised smoker as i hadnt built my proper smoker house yet
1467591855_image1.jpg

done this just so i could smoke some jerky before a prospecting trip and my love of smoked jerky

Woolies spicy barbecue mix sprinkled on before drying makes a nice jerky cheers Muk.

Ramjet said:
Mmmm jerky. It gets eaten faster than i can make it.

We have a smoking foods section if you want to share tour recipes. big_smile
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com hp?id=2930

There is also a link in there to a Jerky topic
With some time on my hands, I have followed some of the jerky recipes and am loving it (so are kids). Drier running as I write.
Laying out the meat in the drier is a pain though - must buy thicker steak in the future - mmmmm

Heart smart silverside makes not bad jerky has low salt content put in freezer for about an hour firms it up a bit before cutting into strips I've tried heaps of different meats and it doesn't seem to matter if you make a good batch or bad it all still gets eaten cheers Muk.

Muk said:
Heart smart silverside makes not bad jerky has low salt content put in freezer for about an hour firms it up a bit before cutting into strips I've tried heaps of different meats and it doesn't seem to matter if you make a good batch or bad it all still gets eaten cheers Muk.

I have used silverside. Makes great jerky

+1 on the silverside. Infact the cheaper cuts of meat fit the bill. I've marinated top dollar steaks and the jerky doesn't come out any tastier.

A big fan of the spicey jerky and like to add a couple teaspoons of 3 million + shu chilli extract to the marinade. It's about 125 times as hot as tabasco sauce. The meat soaks it up and brings the heat right into the core. My family love hot food but it's also made unsuspecting grown men cry.

nuggetino said:
A big fan of the spicey jerky and like to add a couple teaspoons of 3 million + shu chilli extract to the marinade. It's about 125 times as hot as tabasco sauce. The meat soaks it up and brings the heat right into the core. My family love hot food but it's also made unsuspecting grown men cry.

And for those who like their jerky hot, check out the medicinal benefits of hot chilli: http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot Sauce/healthytoo.htm

About the only thing it doesn't cure is gold fever.

Latest posts