INTERNET, which provider and setup is the best and why ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver

silver
Reaction score
Sad old story here, my internet (the BLINK stick{which uses Optus}) ran out last month on day 17, I'm on a month by month plan and pay around $37 for 8GB, it's been getting steadily worse as it runs out sooner and sooner each month, even though all in the household use it less and less and less each month to try and make it last for all the important things in life. So I'm just wondering what setup others on the forum use and which provider they use to get the best amount of GBs per month. I'm hoping to find out about having the internet come in through the phone line and be able to have 3 or 4 laptops being able to operate through it at the same time, my young fellow says we will need a router. I'd like to know all that I will need as well as who I can get the internet through as the blink stick is all I've ever known, so I have to admit that I'm a bit lacking in the knowledge that I'm seeking , so much so that I'm here asking so that I might get a bit of an understanding about it all before I go and spend good money on the wrong things. Just thought I'd put it out there to see if one or two of our wonderful forum members may have a good setup that works great for them, is around the $40-$60 per month and are willing to share their knowledge for mine and all the other forum members benefit. Thanks in advance for the time taken to respond. If anyone has any information on modem routers running on an ADSL cable that would also be appreciated as the young fella keeps going on about that too.

Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

What the young fella says regarding ADSL may impact your options and performance via a bundled package, but generally speaking that seems to be the best bang for your buck. If you are limited to ADSL then this will impact the make download speed and if several are sharing at the same time, then this may impact each others performance. Several years ago I chose Optus for my home bundle as it represented good value at the time and still seems reasonable, as I get 120gb of data per month and my home phone service for $90/month. But as I have fibre access in the neighbourhood, my service is not as speed restricted as it would be under ADSL. But I don't need the 120gb/month and would rarely use more than 12-15gb, but at the time it seems a reasonable deal. Also if the family visits, then I am covered and am unlikely to exceed my monthly allowance.

For mobile operation I too use a USB modem (Telstra 4G - prepaid) and it is much faster than my home service, but at an enormous cost versus what I get for it. I chose Telstra for this service as their mobile coverage was better than the others, but it still doesn't cover all the remote spots that you may go prospecting (like in WA or FNQ).

Rob

Are you able to get NBN in your area?

Or ADSL, if ADSL is what you can get try and get ADSL2+ up to 35MBITs

You will need a router to connect multiple devices, when it comes to getting a router most service providers can supply one to you, at a small price, But if there is someone in the house thats fairly handy on computers i would op for buying a good one,aim at spending $100-$200, most good quality routers have wireless connectivity these days.

The NBN packages are all around the same price, as to regulations and you can op out to have a home phone to,and that would reduce monthly costs

I use lots of bandwidth each month and am with IInet, And im very happy with there service, I pay around $85 per month for a 1000Gig, but they start there packages of at around 40Gig plus phone for $40-$50ish.
Cheers
Ryan

Ryan1981 said:
Are you able to get NBN in your area?

Or ADSL, if ADSL is what you can get try and get ADSL2+ up to 35MBITs

You will need a router to connect multiple devices, when it comes to getting a router most service providers can supply one to you, at a small price, But if there is someone in the house thats fairly handy on computers i would op for buying a good one,aim at spending $100-$200, most good quality routers have wireless connectivity these days.

The NBN packages are all around the same price, as to regulations and you can op out to have a home phone to,and that would reduce monthly costs

I use lots of bandwidth each month and am with IInet, And im very happy with there service, I pay around $85 per month for a 1000Gig, but they start there packages of at around 40Gig plus phone for $40-$50ish.
Cheers
Ryan

We have been with iinet for about twelve months now and they are very competitive price wise. I made the switch from dodo and glad I did the customer service is 100% better with iinet.

I run the same plan as Ryan with a wireless router connecting the pc, tv, 2x tablets and 2x phones havent gone over our limit yet.

What does that cost per month WS.
Wintersnake said:
NBN wireless. Includes Broad band phone (so no phone line rental) 200GB/mth

IINet here and with 300gb, Phone including national STD plus National Mobile calls, $150.00 Per Month
ADSL 2+
Not even going to think about going elsewhere. The customer service is fantastic.

Dont pay for a router mate sign a contract and let them give you one for free. I use iinet they are reselling transACT fiber cabl3 on nbn $79 pm 100 gb on peak 100 off 50/8

With a lot of people, they do not perform any maintenance on their computers. It is like any piece of equipment it needs to be maintained for proper performance. The other problem is what is called Spyware and or Malware. These are little programs that take information from your PC and keep using the internet.

When you install a new program or need to visit a page, some of them add little bits of extras, that you normally agree to, this is because most people just press, next, next, yes, install etc... Bang you have a new program installed and some other little application as well.

Java as example you get for free, but it wants to install a search engine. If you don't untick it, it will install it.

Have a look at the bottom right hand corner of the PC, you will see an arrow, click that and it will show what is running. You may be surprised. You can stop these if you wish as well.

The other way is click, Ctr,Alt,Del and go into your task manager. Have a look at what programs are using your resources, you can also check internet there as well. See if while you are not surfing the web if the web is still being activated and downloading. If your son has installed some type of Torrent down loader I can almost guarantee you are having data being taken from your allowance. That is unlikely but may have happened.

A good program to clear general junk up is CCleaner, or any number of Malware or Spyware remover.

I don't know if you can view web pages without all the animations, almost a basic view. Every pop up, every little video running in the side bar, all chews up your internet. This is why you are using it quicker. Plus make sure if you watch YouTube etc... Watch it in a lower resolution and not HD.

By doing the above you should slow down the use of the internet. As you mentioned you seem to be using it quicker and quicker.

If this is not the case and it is a clean system, then the others have offered good advice on plans and setups. Best of luck.

Lots of good food for thought(thanks everyone), the countdown begins,... mid month is when blink renews(takes my money), so I hope to know what I'm going to do before then, if not, I'll have to circuit around another month, I can opt out of blink anytime as it's only month to month,... I will start Googling soon to follow up on all your info to see what will be options.
{day two already and I've apparently used 850 567 KBs so far, almost a GIG).

I too have Optus NBN.
95mb down 45mb up.
Unlimited data, I usually use about 5-600gb a month
included is unlimited phone calls, local,national and international and mobiles.
All for $90/month.
New sign ons can get this deal for $115, at this stage, but prices move all the time.

Worth the extra few $ to stream everything or d/l what you want in HD.
I have my PC, 2 girls at home with laptops and my mother on her pc all connected, doesn't effect speed at all.
All both girls have playstations connected and I have a smart TV in the lounge connected.
Everyone kicks in so less than $20/month each :lol:

i was looking at optus as a maybe.... was with them years ago and they gave me the s*&^ supports was terrible but these days we don't really get outages like we used to.

might give them a call when my contract is up.

I have had Optus Cable since the beginning, some 15 years or so.
Only outage I have had was when a truck ripped through the line to our house.
very happy with them.

IInet 11 years here, never a problem and A+ customer service.

If you don't need a home phone as you use mobiles, you can also look at the Naked ADSL option.

Gives you ADSL without the need for paying $30 landline fee per month for a phone you dont use.

Latest posts