INTERNET, which provider and setup is the best and why ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only problem with cable is that no company will lay any more cable (insert poo joke here ) and its not in every area so if your lucky you can get it

For the GT, I use a Telstra wireless pre-paid USB and can connect up to 3 wi fi services, and have had excellent service from the folk at Maryborough Vic Telstra. Where I am, I only have a few dead spots for internet/phone service.

We have Telstra cable in the house and I can't fault it. It 's unlimited download and with 2 teenagers in the house you can't go wrong. It's fast and reliable and they supply all the hardware.

I have used internode for the last 15 years.
the only isp who answers the phone with a real person who is located in Australia. :eek:

support local I reckon

cheers ;)

And how have you found them BN,.. and what sort of deal do you get with them ?
Big Nugget said:
the only isp who answers the phone with a real person who is located in Australia. :eek:

support local I reckon

cheers ;)

Wolfau said:
Gee this post got me thinking. I have been online now for nearly 20 years.

Time sure does fly..

And think of the info that's been collected about you over that time!

silver said:
And how have you found them BN,.. and what sort of deal do you get with them ?
Big Nugget said:

support local I reckon

cheers ;)

their service is fantastic silver. im rural 2, or whatever they call it, so the best I can get is adsl2 over the Telstra network.
costs me about $120 a month, includes line rental, for 400GB.
if your in town they can supply naked dsl which is a lot cheaper.
You may be in an area where you can get naked? 8)

they are an Adelaide based isp which has been bought out by iinet.

Cheap internet that works - TPG but if you download naughty torrents they will report you.

Quality internet - iiNet - they focus on protecting their clients more...

But with the new Gov rules coming into place, i don't think it will matter who the provider is, all internet traffic will be logged.

I plan on setting up a VPN connection. $50 per year, private internet, no government people watching what i do.

So I just found out there is no NBN rolled out to my place yet(the plot thickens).
so what are my home internet options ? tiring stuff(all this thinking).

can you get ADSL or ADSL2?
Its going to depend where you are as to services you can get.
You can ring them all and ask, and they tell over the phone whats in your area.

The further your away from a copper node (ie old system)the less bandwidth you will be able to get,but if they quote you to being able to get let say a minimum of 9MBps and they dont deliver you can get out of your contract and try Someone else.

I had been with TPG since 1998 in Sydney then moved to Melba, Canberra just 734m from the exchange and was getting 22mb ADSL2+. It was really good.

We then moved 4 years ago to Campbell, Canberra and stayed with TPG due to the overpriced competitors. Living in a lovely suburb with big leafy trees attracts its fair share of possums and they liked to use the line to walk on. The TPG account when we moved in was about 7mb until the line died, TPG reported it to Telstra who fixed the line but the speed dropped to 3 1/2mb. The possums did it again some years later and this when I decided to search for another solution.

The new solution has been available to the area for the whole time we have been living at this new address but the prices have come down and it is now affordable. So we have moved to Transact VDSL which is a new cable to the home and currently not possible for the possums to walk on. The speed is great at 60mb down and 15mb up.The price $80 only $20 more that TPG and substantially quicker. :)

Mate PM me your postcode and ill see if i can help, i spent a few years in data and still have a few contacts i can call up, i might be able to help.
Cheers
Ryan

Thanks for the offer Ryan,... I've still been looking, I used a Telstra site to check my land line just now and it says I have access to ADSL Broadband at my home, at least now I know which plans I can look at for the best deal.
Ryan1981 said:
Mate PM me your postcode and ill see if i can help, i spent a few years in data and still have a few contacts i can call up, i might be able to help.
Cheers
Ryan

Latest posts