How DEEP is yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho. Thanks for the Goldhound link.Just a few points on the CTX. He said himself he did not buy it for general prospecting but for discriminating in trashy areas-medium/high trash density. Not much info that he is using it in very high mineralised ground like me in the GT.He uses a gold detector for non trashy areas but is non specific about it. If you look at reports around the world on different forums they describe how the CTX and Deus are unable to be ground balanced in very high mineralised ground unless Sensitivity is drastically lowered and Disc,settings drastically increased which leads to drastic depth reduction. That's why they are used in iron infested sites and not general prospecting.
Detecting in the GT this year I did not come across any trashy areas except for South Wedderburn where I found a melon seed 35 years ago with my Whites but could not pick up the tiny bits of silver foil wrappings then which my Impact could with ease. No gold there and others have missed these signals with their GPX,s. I also found this foil South of Maryborough but not Havelock or Dunolly where I encountered hot stones everywhere but extraordinary few bits of iron/nails which I can discriminate out even in all metal mode due to their low tone.The Impact has adequate discrimination and excellent separation for the trashy areas but it is a feature I don't really use much.An expert could discriminate out the silver foil using a second or third tone break settings in the disc. modes which I have not looked into.The Impact was also very stable on the hills which were rich with nuggets back in 1976 and where the min.is very high with extreme patches.
I use the Impact for general prospecting in the GT due to its high stability in those conditions and never had to change the default sensitivity,isat or disc. settings because it wont ground balance. It can handle Wedderburn soil with ease.
Those that hate the Impact being better than other brands will only try to rubbish it and continually ask for proof of finds.However I am only on this forum to compare detectors in similar situations as I am technically minded.

OK you got me this time Rob...I'll put it on the buy one day list....I've obviously underestimated it's advantages as a class leader, maybe I'm just one of those guys that needs to be continually hit over the head with the truth until one day it finally sinks in.

Best to sell something first.....not sure which detector though...they are all rubbish so who would bother paying a decent price for second rate detectors?

Better hold off on the Impact OldGT. :eek:
In true Nokta/Makro form it looks like they've rehashed the Impact already by making it waterproof, lighter, cheaper & improving some things like beach mode then called it the Makro Kruzer multi.

mbasko said:
In true Nokta/Makro form it looks like they've rehashed the Impact already by making it waterproof, lighter, cheaper & improving some things like beach mode then called it the Makro Kruzer multi.

Not correct. Different detectors with a different coil series as well as differences in functionality and features.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
mbasko said:

Not correct. Different detectors with a different coil series as well as differences in functionality and features.
Yeah more of a"tongue in cheek" type post in response to OldGT's "tongue n cheek" post than anything mate. Been a few of em on the thread :eek: :D
You've got to admit though it's not the first time, & probably won't be the last, we've seen Nokta/Makro release machines either with similar specs or upgraded soon after initial release.
Different coils & some different functionality doesn't hide the fact that the multi is a 3 x selectable frequency machine that has been made waterproof, lighter & cheaper than the 3 x selectable frequency Impact. More rehashing of current VLF technology & nothing new. Could make the Impact a hard sell next to it?

mbasko said:
You've got to admit though it's not the first time, & probably won't be the last, we've seen Nokta/Makro release machines either with similar specs or upgraded soon after initial release. Different coils & some different functionality doesn't hide the fact that the multi is a 3 x selectable frequency machine that has been made waterproof, lighter & cheaper than the 3 x selectable frequency Impact. More rehashing of current VLF technology & nothing new. Could make the Impact a hard sell next to it?

I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. These are quite different machines being sold to a different type of user.

There isn't a standard for current VLF technology and there are several different technical approaches taken in VLF machines, just as there are different technologies used in different pulse induction machines.

Categorising a machine as a rehashed VLF machine is ignoring the state of the art digital signal processing employed by various detectors, the stabilisation technologies involved and the additional features that vary from machine to machine.

The Nokta Impact is a very advanced machine at an excellent price point, to be honest in my opinion there isn't another machine on the market now at that price point that comes close to it. The Equinox might change that, however in my opinion the Equinox is the product of an upsurge in northern hemisphere sales of advanced VLF machines like the XP Deus and Nokta Impact.

The CTX, Deus, Impact, Equinox etc. etc. etc. are all different machines with points that may better suit one user over another. That doesn't stop, & never will, people comparing them in performance + specs. Even detectors of the same brand/company get compared.
I'm sure many CTX users & those in line for an Equinox would argue that point - (nothing in Minelab range that comes close).
The whole detecting industry has been behind the 8 ball with faster processing & wireless technologies for years. They are catching up now but it doesn't warrant anything new with the actual VLF platform just as adding or removing various bells & whistles doesn't either.
I have no doubt that the Impact is a very capable machine as are other Nokta/Makro detectors. I'm sure the Kruzer will be too but it looks like a release for no other reason than to try to compete with the Equinox hence 3 frequency, lighter, waterproof, cheaper etc. Just like the Equinox was developed to compete with the Deus, Impact etc.
Good luck to Makro - it's a very nice try but it's still not going to be a true multi frequency detector!
The Equinox has been the only recently announced detector with any true new VLF technology since BBS/FBS tech. That's just my opinion - & my opinion doesn't sell detectors, nor do I.

mbasko said:
The Equinox has been the only recently announced detector with any true new VLF technology since BBS/FBS tech.

Without wanting to get into a debate about one detector over another, this is absolutely incorrect. The XP Deus contains quite a number of technological advances in VLF. The Impact also advances the technology with advanced digital signal processing that's clearly not available in many other detectors.

Most current VLF detectors are the result of an amazing amount of engineering and design, as I said a couple of posts ago there's not a technological standard for VLF detectors, many approach signal processing and stabilisation differently.

The Equinox is not a known quantity yet, I haven't used one and as soon as they're released I'll have one here to use and compare with all of our other current model VLF machines. Only then can I make a judgement about whether the current breed of advanced European detectors has been trumped.

I got a giggle anyways Mbasko. If the Equinox wasn't so close I would have had a serious look at Noktas range, in fact I have, and to be fair their price points are more than reasonable, well worth taking the punt that they are the goods. :Y:

But hey I'm just a sad old fisher user that doesn't even have boost to use...for now. All those treasures will just have to wait until a real detector reaches my grip. :p

Between the old 3000 and the F75 it might be worth retracing my steps. Rob if your still around I'll draw you a map where you should be swinging the impact, all the trash has been cleared. :p

Maldon Gold Centre said:
Bogger said:
Without wanting to get into a debate about one detector over another

Your not doing a bad job thus far ? :rolleyes: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks Bogger :lol:

I do my best :)
Actually was in Maldon yesterday and was going to call in but just ran out of time doing the family thing :|

Bogger said:
Maldon Gold Centre said:
Bogger said:

Thanks Bogger :lol:

I do my best :)
Actually was in Maldon yesterday and was going to call in but just ran out of time doing the family thing :|

No worries. We're actually open Wednesday to Sunday so I wouldn't have been there.

However if anyone wants to visit on Monday or Tuesday just give me a call and if I am nearby I can come and open up. :Y:

Bogger said:

Don't worry that was the OP intent from the beginning haha Rob will be loving it....He'll be cheering you on all fanatical....Ah he will be talking about it for months....God bless him.

But seriously those on the outside wanting to hear appropriate information are all ears, I might have to drop by the store and have a yarn where we can compare detectors and hopefully sell me one. Might not be tomorrow but one day soon.

I thought this was Metal Detecting For Gold,if your using a vlf for gold and asking about a can in the ground mate get real,by a Minelab PI and when you learn the detecter you will know the difference between a can and gold.?

300 said:
I thought this was Metal Detecting For Gold,if your using a vlf for gold and asking about a can in the ground mate get real,by a Minelab PI and when you learn the detecter you will know the difference between a can and gold.?

Coils generally blank out or "overload" on a big piece of gold. Sounds like trash most times.
So talking in relation to cans and trash is completely relevant when it comes to metal detecting for gold.

YellowFever said:
300 said:

Coils generally blank out or "overload" on a big piece of gold. Sounds like trash most times.
So talking in relation to cans and trash is completely relevant when it comes to metal detecting for gold.

Indeed yes :Y: have asked this exact question from several "experts" and I mean experts in both machine operation and experience and both times the answer I received sent me scurrying back to dig the signal I took for granted as being a tin can. Put your coil over a decent hunk of gold and I'll lay bets what you see / hear will have you digging a lot more "cans" :eek: Discrimination ? Pffffffffft overload is overload to my ears :rolleyes:

This bike is 43 grams of 18 carat solid gold (apart from tyres) and no matter where I have buried it, the coil overloads without a problem. Would love to see what a 10 ounce of near pure gold would do ? :eek: Probably shouldn't post this as means less chance of the biggies being left behind :rolleyes:

1516832074_gold_bike.jpg

Maldon Gold Centre said:
mbasko said:
The Equinox has been the only recently announced detector with any true new VLF technology since BBS/FBS tech.

Without wanting to get into a debate about one detector over another, this is absolutely incorrect. The XP Deus contains quite a number of technological advances in VLF. The Impact also advances the technology with advanced digital signal processing that's clearly not available in many other detectors.
Absolutely incorrect :lol:
Explain to us what advances in actual VLF/Induction balance technology the Deus has? I think my idea of advances in this dept & yours differ.
Yes it's very innovative & was ahead of the rest with fast digital processing enabling fast recovery/reactivity, lightweight + use of wireless tech but this hardly qualifies as new VLF/Induction balance technology (selectable frequency had been done well before the Deus). If they use a VLF/Induction balance technology like BBS/FBS or Multi-IQ let me know because I can't find anything. It's pretty much a selectable single frequency detector with innovative processing & design features that haven't reinvented anything with the actual basic VLF/Induction balance transmission.
As far as digital signal processing all manufacturers are catching on with it & catching up. Deus were early innovators but don't hold any stronghold on that tech nor do Nokta/Makro.
Most new detectors are little more than rehashed old tech with more bell's & whistles attached to stimulate sales. Yes a lot of engineering energy - maybe more needs to be done by some manufacturers with actual R&D on transmission tech instead of bells & whistles :lol:

I agree with mbasko, most modern machines are a rehash of old tech and then suffer a name change so we think it is something new when it is just borrowed technology with a new name, BBS and FBS and a couple of Whites machines are true Multi-frequency where all frequencies are or can be combined and the others are just selectable frequency machines so classing the later in to the same class is very misleading and do not perform the same in certain areas and along with the level of discrimination,

I see no reason to change from the VLF I have unless I want a modern plastic one which I don't but there again mine is only 18 months old, I bought the first version due to seeing what it could do and because of it's success rate at finding Gold, So far I have not seen many nuggets found with these new machines if any and according to the OP even doing the coke can test they lack power even in an air test, I believe the GM and the Equinox is going to sort the men from the boys but when it comes to the beach and discrimination BBS and FBS type machines will still rule the VLF Roost.

J.

Latest posts