How DEEP is yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to try running it up where it is a bit Sparky because that is where the power lie's and help it to see them tiny nuggets, you will be surprised how much difference it will make running it right on the edge, VLF's seem to come alive up at those levels,

John.

oldtimerROB said:
I can,t see the Impact going all the way to 36 inches on a weaker signal but it might surprise at 5 Khz..I might have to concede the CTX may go deeper but it may cost more than AUD 1280 for the Impact.
After 40 hours using it in the GT I have to say its very stable in very high mineralisation in the all metal mode which has a two tone discrimination option to identify hot rocks/iron giving great tonal resolution and separation.
In that time I have only found only two or three old rusty bent nails,a brass button,some lead/brass, and more tiny bits of silver foil making the GT a fairly clean area full of hot rocks.
While the all metal mode or GEN is also very sensitive to small gold in 20 Khz. It does not go deep enough for gold prospecting, so lately I have decided to only use the DEEP mode for my general search mode as it is also surprisingly stable and determined in very high mineralisation and gives off a little bit of chatter of no consequence. It does however provide many more stable VID numbers than the GEN mode and a reading of 51/52 signifies gold. I had to find the optimal tone break setting by placing a rusty nail beside a gold nugget.Too low a setting will mask gold as well as iron.Too high and it will not mask iron and hot rocks.

Rob, the CTX might go deeper on larger targets but it's not very good at seeing tiny subgram nuggets, nuggets over a gram it will probably do better on but for thin gold chains and small gold it is not the best on.

If you mean increasing gain or sensitivity to 95? Then in theory it wont work on the goldfields due to mineralisation.As we are comparing different detectors for prospecting,one of the parameters for the test was to keep sensitivity down to 70 percent maximum.

Well my machine multiplies the Gain at different settings so there are 2 ways that I can get 70%, If I go by numbers then I am actually only using 50% of the power, but even doing that you should get over 40"+,

John.

oldtimerROB said:
I just got epilepsy looking at the monitor screen too early in the morning. :eek:

I get it every time I read one of your posts :D

Ooo that's a bit harsh, I would rather Rob stuck around to discuss his thread/post instead of vanishing for days at a time.

oh crap...that smiley face emoji at the end of my post must be broken again...sorry for that

madtuna said:
oh crap...that smiley face emoji at the end of my post must be broken again...sorry for that

I click on them and they don't always work, My computer is a real pain at times.

I won,t be able to go detecting in the summer and post new pearls of wisdom as usual :lol: cos I get too many migraines from the stronger sun. My Russian wife wont come cos she is petrified of our snakes.They only have small slow moving vipers over there that are not deadly.Will do some beach detecting in SA in Nov. though.

Had a look at the CTX and at $2600 it is twice as costly as the Impact but look identical in build quality.Also unlike the Impact we don,t know anyone who has tested it in very high mineralisation on goldfields.The CTX has been put out primarily for beach and park detecting much like the Impact.The Impact is establishing itself as a cheap all rounder able to be used in any environment and as such should appeal to people taking up detecting as a hobby/ or ones without deep pockets, and not professional gold prospectors. You can make up your own mind if the Impact-CTX comparison was a fair one.

oldtimerROB said:
Had a look at the CTX and at $2600 it is twice as costly as the Impact but look identical in build quality.Also unlike the Impact we don,t know anyone who has tested it in very high mineralisation on goldfields.The CTX has been put out primarily for beach and park detecting much like the Impact.The Impact is establishing itself as a cheap all rounder able to be used in any environment and as such should appeal to people taking up detecting as a hobby/ or ones without deep pockets, and not professional gold prospectors. You can make up your own mind if the Impact-CTX comparison was a fair one.

You can't really compare the 2 because the CTX uses a frequency with a total of 27 harmonic frequencies, But saying they are both multi frequency machines but that is all the have in common,

In hotter ground from a Prospecting point of view the Impact is streets ahead with it's ground tracking system and it's high sensitivity works better for finding gold due to it's low conductive properties, In this situation the CTX falls short by quite a large margin,

The CTX excels at finding deep silver and in a beach environment and relic hunting the CTX is the clear leader, Neither machine would be the choice of the full time prospector because most of them would use an LF machine where the ground was favourable but mostly they would use the SDC, GPX and the ZED,

Both machines are first class detectors but they are very different from each other, And although the Impact is a high Gain machine even your Air Tests fall short compared to some other VLF's, I know Air tests do not represent true depth but if that extra depth is not there when air testing it won't be there on in ground conditions, That is not saying that the Impact is not powerful because it is,

There was a lot of hype while the world was waiting for the Impact to be released but it was not adopted into the Prospecting community like a few other VLF's over the years, I personally wanted to buy the Impact but from an all out power point of view it just seems to come up short from what I already own, But again where mine falls short the Impact excels but from a Prospecting VLF point of view and for searching for low conductive coins from 2 or 3000 years ago and raw power mine excels even though it does not have some of the bells and whistles of machines designed later, but on the other hand it was built by a Prospector and the best VLF engineer in the business.

Like many I could name, you could keep jumping from one machine to another but you would be better off sticking with it and mastering it over a few years, because there is an old saying, Be wary of the man with only One Gun, because He probably knows how to use it, And detectors are much the same,

I can't count all the miracle VLF's we have been promised since I bought the first model of what I use and now I am using the 4th updated model and still that miracle VLF never happened and nothing new that has come out since then (2010) has done what they said and none of them are an improvement across the board, they have a couple of good features but fall short else where, And it has always been that way, So you either need to stick with what you have or find one that works for you,

J.

Yep the CXT works well on gold above a certain size and Goldhound has it down to a fine art, but the CTX really is a true treasure hound and for picking Gold off the beach I would prefer the CTX than a PI,

But I think that Rob is trying to hard and needs to not take it so serious, he has a good machine and he just needs to put the coil over it.

People are starting to wake up the Impact has possibly the best separation in the business and also the best stability in very high mineralisation.This puts it top of the charts for a VLF gold prospecting machine for finding gold in tough ground.Its only drawback is it is not waterproof.Its versatility is I can use it in the 20 Khz frequency for gold prospecting and then 5 or 14 Khz to find deep silver in beaches.In the USA and here very few people have heard of Nokta so it will sell in very small quantities compared to Minelab or Garrett.Europe is where their main profits come from so we are last in line when it comes to deliveries.They are a young company and I expect many more brilliant products from them in coming years.
The CTX may go deeper but I can,t find any info on how it can cope with very high mineralisation and if it can,t cope then its depth will be drastically reduced in goldfields. Read the thread about it by Goldhound and he has not much confidence to use it outside really trashy areas.
I have detected in the GT for 40 hours with it and encountered only very light trash.I have found far more bits of silver foil wrapper which can,t be discriminated out without first masking out gold.But hot rocks are much more numerous than all trash put together.So I would only use a detector which can give a low tone for iron and positive hot rocks and a plus 95 reading for negative hot rocks when in all metal mode and a masking out ability when in a discriminating mode.The Impact has all this. With my bad back I could not use a Minelab PI and have to dig up every target.I will leave that up to the young bucks.
Ridge Runner as I have said many times before I am not in a position for various reasons to put in the hours in order to be able to find gold.With a bit of luck I may just find the right spot however.End of story.

There are other VLF's that can handle mineralization that have worked there for years, The Impact is not doing any thing new, As for the ground and Hot/Cold Rock reading 95 etc that came out well over 20 years ago on Whites machines, Along with many other features that are present on the Impact,

The reason people are not flocking to buy the Impact is because it is average when it comes to power amid other high Gain VLF's and it has borrowed features heavily form past ground breaking machines, The company might call it a new machine or new design but the fact it is It is made up of all the good features of past products repackaged in to a new shell and as such it is nothing that we haven't seen many times before, And having selectable frequencies and high Gain makes it better for prospecting than the CTX but the CTX just works better for coin and jewellery and beach hunting,

Forget the ML fan base here but the CTX just makes more sense and it is built using ML's own Technology not borrowed features from other brands and it owes it's heritage to the early ML Explorers, like all detectors they both have issues and weaknesses along with their strong points this is why it is important to buy the machine that suits the user and not what the user likes/prefers. Tesoro are a prime example they look like toys but get them in Iron filled sites where there are 3000 year old coins and those things are Lethal.

J.

More food for thought Ridge Runner.Just been on Finds Treasure Forum and members there are saying the Impact goes just as deep as the CTX but also deeper. Still the Impact is a good looking machine,well balanced and easy to use.The price is right and it costs half that of the CTX. Minelabs will always be overpriced as Nokta can draw on cheap unregulated labour from all over the Middle East.Don,t forget the Arabs were responsible for introducing more advanced science,medicine and mathematics to Europe including our decimal system and the number zero.

oldtimerROB said:
More food for thought Ridge Runner.Just been on Finds Treasure Forum and members there are saying the Impact goes just as deep as the CTX but also deeper. Still the Impact is a good looking machine,well balanced and easy to use.The price is right and it costs half that of the CTX. Minelabs will always be overpriced as Nokta can draw on cheap unregulated labour from all over the Middle East.Don,t forget the Arabs were responsible for introducing more advanced science,medicine and mathematics to Europe including our decimal system and the number zero.

Out of all the modern machines from the last Ten years the Impact and the CTX and the V3i and Deus are the best high end machines on the market, some machines will go deeper than others but that is mainly because to how they can handle the ground,

The Depth those guys are talking about is not proof of all out abilities because to find that out you would have to take both machines to all their locations and measure every target dug,

The best way to buy / judge any machine is to forget all the talk about depth and Specs or what looks good on paper, This is why it is never a good Idea to buy newly released machines because they need to prove them selves, forget all the fancy tricks shown on forums and Youtube, ( Show Me The Finds ). I wanted a VLF that not only could find Gold but one that was the best all rounder at it and I also wanted the best relic machine that was good at finding coins as well and that was 7 years ago, Well since then detectors have not changed and it is still the best Gold finding VLF when it comes to small and large Gold, So it is a very safe Bet with a proven track record.

Forget all the garbage that companies come out with and all the reviews where the reviewer says that they took it to a hunted out site and found even more finds because no site is ever hunted out because different settings, Ground Moisture, Sweep speed, Concentration levels, EMI, Going over a patch that was missed by just 1/2 an inch the last time etc etc, When a person can take a detector out each and every time and make good finds along with every other user doing the same that is when you know a Detector is good or not,

Marketing, Reviews and BS put out by the companies is no excuse to buy a machine regardless of the Brand. There are possibly 2 or 3 VLFs that are still at the top of the heap and there are 2 or 3 PI/Hybrid machines that are proven Gold Getters, Every thing else is just a rehash/copy of what has already been made.

Latest posts