How DEEP is yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
Most new detectors are little more than rehashed old tech with more bell's & whistles attached to stimulate sales. Yes a lot of engineering energy - maybe more needs to be done by some manufacturers with actual R&D on transmission tech instead of bells & whistles :lol:

Sending a signal or mix of signals into the ground and receiving them back is the relatively easy part of metal detector technology.

The true performance of a modern metal detector depends upon how those signals are processed in terms of digital signal processing and software.

Discounting signal processing technology in a detector as just the same tech re-hashed is a mischaracterisation of the developments in technology.

Target separation, stability, discrimination and other detector capability all depend on software/signal processing hardware in a modern detector.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
Sending a signal or mix of signals into the ground and receiving them back is the relatively easy part of metal detector technology.

The true performance of a modern metal detector depends upon how those signals are processed in terms of digital signal processing and software.

Discounting signal processing technology in a detector as just the same tech re-hashed is a mischaracterisation of the developments in technology.

Target separation, stability, discrimination and other detector capability all depend on software/signal processing hardware in a modern detector.

Like it or not VLF technology reached it's peak 20 years ago, Whites fisher Garrett and a few others have found Gold all over the world including in Aus, the future VLF's need better coils which is one of the biggest parts of unmasking and target ID, having a lower ratio disc control would also help separate targets which is why machines that block edit with only 10 or 20 blocks of discrimination are left wanting, This is where FBS excels and the next best thing is having rotary controls which are 100% variable.

A lot of the things you mention also involve the skill level of the user, because I could give an average user a high tech machine and a skilled user an average machine and the skilled person would win out every time, Some of the claims by companies are very misleading because they have no idea of the skill level of the person buying the machine.

Another thing is Digital processing has been part of detectors since the 1990s so this is nothing new where software replaces actual electronic components that are/were used to open and close and vary what each control actually does, Some machines are deceptive because although they use rotary controls they are still digital and every thing is done within their software like the Whites E-Series MXT and GMT and TDI's, Nokta AU Gold Finder and the Gold Bug 2. Along with all the Tesoro Range of detectors.

J.

Aside from all the arguments about technology which in my view progress cannot stay still and someone will always build a better mousetrap,the quality of build and the solid feel of the Impact would tell anyone it is a $2000 detector but sells much cheaper. Nokta has a huge modern design lab and this shows in its products.
The only thing lacking for me for general prospecting is the 40 coil which would not make it front heavy due to the rear mounted housing and due to the Impact,s excellent stability in very hot ground (see my reports from Havelock, Dunolly, Inkerman and Wedderburn), it will not cause the larger coil to overreact too much to the ground.
The Equinox has still to be tested in Vic,s GT and run the gauntlet of fire before it can be classed as an equal to the Impact or better whichever is the case.

Hi oldtimerROB, I think where most people get a bit of angst about your constant posting about your Impact being very stable in hot mineralised ground in Vic GT is the fact that you haven't found gold with it yet, my Makro GR has found old chocolate foil, bullets, bird shot and countless other junk in the goldfields too and I can set it to run stable also but it hasn't found gold for me yet so I wouldn't say it's proven in hot ground unless finding junk was my objective, my GPX4500 on the other hand found gold within 20 mins of me using it for the first time. My point is there's nothing wrong with my Makro GR or your Impact, it's just that they aren't as well suited to finding gold in hot mineralised ground as the Minelab PI machines are, you can keep flogging a dead horse as much as you want but proof is in the gold finds, I still love my GR but use it for where it's best suited.
Anyway, I hope you do find gold with the Impact one day, I know others have and they are a good machine from what I hear but wouldn't be first choice for a gold detector in hot ground, that's all :Y:

The reality is these machines can and do find Gold, we have seen quite a few folks do it yet in the same areas others don't, finding/buying a machine that suits the user plays a big part I am sure, PT goes out and finds Gold with almost any of his VLF's yet others struggle, I have done ok with mine too, VLF's are more about fine tuning where a PI is about horsepower and some folks are better suited to PI's.

With no disrespect intended, A lot of this boils down to the skill of the user, having spent the last 8+ years using/testing the last 3 models of the same machine from anywhere from 8 to 10k hours maybe more has helped a lot, and high lighted many bad habits that I have had to correct, Over thinking and trying to make a machine do things my way was just a couple of issues, Learning where the power lies had a major impact ( no pun intended ) from using the Mode that I hate most to it becoming my best friend, So I find it very hard to be impressed with the way other machines work,

I know these companies try hard but the VLF market truly has reached it's peak when it comes to depth, and if people are having no luck finding Gold with their VLF's then that says more about how they are using it, because if they can find all that junk then it comes down to 3 things, either there is no Gold there or it is too deep or it is how they are driving the machine, I bet that because people know that a VLF does not have the power in hot ground that they try to run the gain to the max where the machine is on the edge, Doing this will blind the machine and overload it with false signals, I have seen it and proved it, and when the gain is dropped then the signals have all come through, People adjust their PI's to a sensible level because they know they have the power/depth without cranking it up, but because it's a VLF they think that they have to run it maxed out to get any power out of it, which is not the case.

Turning down the Gain on a VLF can vary from model to model, but you can prove to your self just how much depth you are loosing by doing a simple Air Test, and Yes I know that air tests aren't worth a fart, But in this case they are,

IE:- So you always dig coins at 8 to 10" normally with your Gain set almost maxed out @ 9.4 or 94 or 28 what ever ??,, So now do and Air Test with the gain maxed out @ 10,100 or 30 ? and you are hitting that coin at 14" Now drop your gain down to 8 , 80 or 24 and now your Air Test is reading just on 12.7 to 13", but remember that Air Tests aren't worth a fart. Right ??

So lets look at those figures for a sec, 14"/gain of 10=1.4" per gain number but in reality you only get 10" in the ground so the ground is compressing the signal by about 40% so in your air test by going from 9.4 etc to 8, you have lost about 1" but in reality you have only lost 0.4" by time that signal gets compressed by the mineralization, But now all the signals all come through, You see so many videos of people talking about unmasking with a new machine etc But you can unmask targets with the right coil selection and by reducing your gain, Unmasking is a Buzz Word and nothing more and you can unmask targets as good as the next guy, This is why I said earlier about giving an average user a hot machine and a Skilled user an average machine and the skilled user will always win out, don't be afraid to lower the gain because in Ground results/depth we are talking millimetres not inches, Give the machine a chance to see what is down there and your finds rate will go up.

J.

Latest posts