How can I get over fear camping alone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going camping this weekend. Will be going at it alone in a state forest somewhere. Been camping for years on an off but never really by myself. How did you get over your fear of camping alone?. I cant help but think we lived in the wild for thousands of years it should be natural for us but still feels scary when it gets dark.

Americans have some awesome anti bear electric set ups. Guess you are more worried about people than wildlife though ?

Make friends with the locals and make sure people are aware that you are there. Safety is all about being aware of your surrounding. Camp in designated areas talk to fellow campers they all aren't trying to find your secret spot. Don't hide away in the bush with camo nets. If your really in secure join a group there are always like minded people looking for adventure but have the same problem. 35 years out in the bush driven around Aus. 5 times and never had a bad experience with like minded traveller. At all times be positive and enjoy the time.

I have to say, all the experiences I have had have been good ones. State Forests included.

If there is an option of staying at a campground nearby, think free camp or whatever, then I'll usually go that option. The main reason is injury, if something happens you have got people around who can lend a hand (last year a bloke was bitten by a black snake in a free camp on the Turon River, somebody drove him to a hospital).

Another good reason for staying in a recognised campground is that you get to meet up with all sorts of people. I find that if you are by yourself, then you tend to talk more, or people will stop by for a chat. You'll also get to know whether you like camping by yourself, with the safety net of help close by. Although sometimes you have to ignore the late night parties that go on nearby and the occasional idiot.

I say give it a try and if you are really uncomfortable, you can always bug-out.

VicGoldHunter said:
Redfin said:
If it worries you that much go camp at Waanyarra, surrounded by likewise people.
Use it as a base camp.
Kingower only 30 minutes down the road.

Good idea but Im going for it, its good to step outside your comfort zone
:D :Y: I say go for it .
Try and give the impression that there is 2 people at your camp ( set up 2 chairs , Use 2 coffee cups ) Talk to yourself after dark .
Might sound weird but might help .
I always talk to myself out bush :lol: I used to chat with 3 of the 4 voices in my head up till 2 years ago :eek: , We had a argument
and have not spoken since :lol: :lol: So i talk to myself now ;)
But seriously give it a go , try and give the impression your not alone :D

davsgold said:
Camp out at Wolf Creek (crater) by yourself for a few nights and watch the movie while ya there, if you survive all that then I think you will have conquered your fear. :8 :perfect:

cheers dave

We were south of Old Halls Creek last year, not far from the Wolf Creek crater road and had a strange encounter. It was about an hour before dark and I was in a creek with my detector and my pick and the wife was in our van beside the track we came in on about 60 mts from me. I heard the low hum of a diesel but couldn't work out which way it was coming from, after a couple of minutes an old Patrol with a home made camper on the back came crawling over a hill behind me where there was no track. He couldn't see me but he saw the van, he changed direction and headed straight for it stopping about 20mts away and checked it out for a few minutes. He then moved about 5 mts and checked the other side of the van for a couple of minutes. He drove about 50 mts down the track and turned around, making another pass he stopped for a couple more minutes to watch the van. He then drove off very slowly. All the time I was standing behind a tree with my pick over my shoulder watching his actions and the wife was inside the van watching through the curtains, I wasn't too concerned as I can still look after myself but the missus made it very clear that we wouldn't be staying there that night. We were well off the regular prospecting areas and was very surprised to see another vehicle out there.

Latest posts