How can I get over fear camping alone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dam it said:
madtuna said:
Good idea Damit!
Step out of your camper and have a coffee out of one cup in your jeans and T shirt, then go back in then come out again in a frock and have a coffee out of the other cup. :Y:
:lol: :lol:
Even better just Nude Up :lol: :lol: Keeps everyone away :Y:
Nope...in summer the cold water from the tap is too hot to shower under so I strip off and shower under the tank stand in the front yard.

3 times now as soon as I've got nude with a head full of shampoo, a car load of indigenous has turned up :8

Watch these before you go mate and nothing will scare you

Wolf Creek isnt for the faint hearts of backpackers. In it, they get captured in a sick game of hunt and prey in the Australian outback by a deranged killer. The movie doesnt actually portray real life events even though it as inspired by some.

Between 1989 and 1993, Ivan Milat committed a series of murders in North South Wales. Seven young backpackers international as well as Australian fell victim to him and were found partially buried. In 2001 Bradley Murdoch murdered another backpacker.

The American movie series Saw is an international hit but are you aware of its Australian origins? Saw started as an Australian short horror movie. Its often referred to as Saw 0.5.

Fun fact: the short film was incorporated as a scene in the well-known 2004 feature length American horror movie.

The Babadook has supernatural elements to it and is more a psychological horror than an Australian slasher film. The story revolves around a widow and her six year old son who becomes obsessed over his fear of monsters, particularly the kinda human looking Barbadook.

Strange events start to happen after the mother downplays the monsters existence. An ultimate showdown with Barbadook ensues and the ending takes quite the turn.

Upgrade is a different genre of horror movie, covering elements of science fiction and action. But unlike the other movies (maybe except Saw), its main horror appeal is the body horror that is going on through graphic bodily mutilations.

In the movie, a paralysed man is able to control his limbs through an implanted chip. However, the chip starts speaking to him and he becomes quite the killing machine. Was the accident that lead to the death of his wife and his paralysis maybe planned?

Is Lake Mungo a true story? This low budget Australian psychological horror film certainly looks like a documentary. But its all scripted and played out with real actors, not interviewees.

7.62marksman said:
Watch these before you go mate and nothing will scare you

Wolf Creek isnt for the faint hearts of backpackers. In it, they get captured in a sick game of hunt and prey in the Australian outback by a deranged killer. The movie doesnt actually portray real life events even though it as inspired by some.

Between 1989 and 1993, Ivan Milat committed a series of murders in North South Wales. Seven young backpackers international as well as Australian fell victim to him and were found partially buried. In 2001 Bradley Murdoch murdered another backpacker.

The American movie series Saw is an international hit but are you aware of its Australian origins? Saw started as an Australian short horror movie. Its often referred to as Saw 0.5.

Fun fact: the short film was incorporated as a scene in the well-known 2004 feature length American horror movie.

The Babadook has supernatural elements to it and is more a psychological horror than an Australian slasher film. The story revolves around a widow and her six year old son who becomes obsessed over his fear of monsters, particularly the kinda human looking Barbadook.

Strange events start to happen after the mother downplays the monsters existence. An ultimate showdown with Barbadook ensues and the ending takes quite the turn.

Upgrade is a different genre of horror movie, covering elements of science fiction and action. But unlike the other movies (maybe except Saw), its main horror appeal is the body horror that is going on through graphic bodily mutilations.

In the movie, a paralysed man is able to control his limbs through an implanted chip. However, the chip starts speaking to him and he becomes quite the killing machine. Was the accident that lead to the death of his wife and his paralysis maybe planned?

Is Lake Mungo a true story? This low budget Australian psychological horror film certainly looks like a documentary. But its all scripted and played out with real actors, not interviewees.
:argh: I dont think this type of stuff is going to help :eek:

Come on you guys. Some of that stuff isn't very helpful...just having fun I know.

Maye let someone know where you are going and when you'll be back. Take an emergency beacon with you but it will cost you $400 to set it off so I believe ?
If you are in a mobile area keep us updated.
Do you have UHF radio ?

Back when I did my first lap of Oz (more than 10 years ago now) I learned of the places in which the aussie bogans and weekend hooligans like congregate.

I've had a few encounters which weren't all friendly including:
Having fireworks placed under my van and lit while I was asleep in it.
Hearing gunshots in the middle of the night followed by the sound of something being smeared across my car window. Got out the van to find rabbit guts had been painted all over.
I've had people come in at night doing burn outs through my camp.
The occasional local telling me I'm not welcome to camp because he might want to camp there at some point. :lol:

This is over the course of a year so it isn't all too bad. Also I wasn't yet very good at picking a quiet spot to camp.

A few things I learned about getting a good night sleep.

Camp off the beaten track, the more remote, the better. In state forests I like to camp at dead ends off small infrequently used side tracks which don't lead to any place of significance. Aso, maintenance tracks for power lines etc are great too.
Quarries, large clearings etc attract 4x4 enthusiasts at all hours. Avoid.
Check the area for signs of bogan behaviour. Burnt rubber, beer cans, drug paraphernalia or just general rubbish? Move on...
Keep your camp out of plain sight when possible (out of view of main roads)

I've been around Australia again since then and numerous trips to the WA goldfields without ever an unfavourable encounter and met lots of great people in my stays at camp grounds.

A good camp fire will keep your mind off things mate. Hypnotic after dark and a good feed after a while. A good time to let the gold fever set in your mind.
Chances are your camped doing the same thing as others did 170 years ago..
Pretty kool really.
Point your vehicles headlights up the main way in.
If your hear a few pops from guns, dosent hurt to put your high beam on for a bit so they can see your there hey.

madtuna said:
Good idea Damit!
Step out of your camper and have a coffee out of one cup in your jeans and T shirt, then go back in then come out again in a frock and have a coffee out of the other cup. :Y:
Ahh! So that WAS you Steve!, you would have looked better with the high heels though! :lol:

LoneWolf said:
Just stay out of Belanglo State Forrest... There are real Ghosts there.... :skull:

LW....
Ivan Milat and a British back paker were walking into the Belangalo State Forrest and the back packer says..."geez it's spookey in here!"
Ivan replies..."tell me about it, atleast you've got company, I have to walk out by myself later" :D

Always camp with your van door facing where it can't be blocked in. Happens quite a lot in road side rest stops where a car pulls in and blocks the van door while they raid your car.

Sorry ask VGH is Nic short for Nicole or Nicholas. Makes a difference to answer

Always tell someone where your going and likely hood of coming home

Your original question being safe? There plenty of things that can kill you in Victoria this time of year.

1) The car, largest killer in Victoria
2) idiots people kill people second killer
3) still warm Snakes
4) open or covered up mine shafts

Getting lost

5) dehydration
6) hypothetical (Hope I spelled that correctly)

Thanks LW , my old English teacher told me i will not amount to anything, hmm Im retired at 50 shes still working, and hypothetical is the correct. It hasnt happened yet so deal with it as it comes up. Bush fires. Floods. Getting bogged, trees over track cant back up. I left the Prado, in middle of bush for two days , got bogged to the ass, took 4 utes to get me out and a slab later.

Latest posts