hot rocks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peko said:
I don't see how you can call a hot rock,a hot rock if it has gold inside.
My understanding of a hot rock is a rock that it heavily mineralised compared to the surrounding rocks that sounds off a detector and maybe magnetic also,but contains no gold.
A specimen is gold in either nugget form or reef form in a host rock like Quartz or ironstone.

So tell me how a hot rock can contain gold.

Peko, these blokes are just telling how they have been caught in the past thinking that the find was a hot rock, when it wasn't. Just making fun at their own expense, but learning from the experience. In some places there are so many hot rocks that it is easy to become used to thinking, "just another hot rock" when now and then they may have hidden the goodies.

Rob.

To explain more the rock that was broken to reveal the nugget, came from an area where there were lots of other rocks of the same colour, some rocks gave a stong signal and some didn't. The nugget appeared to be encased within the rock but not part of it. It came out shiny and clean and it was beautiful. I don't think we took a photo but I'll check with my mate. I had become slack about splitting hot rocks to check them because in some areas there are so many. So it was a lesson I won't forget. We went back to the area where the gold bearing Rock came from but didn't find any more in rocks but one piece in the ground.

1466066308_bob_s_first_detector_find.jpg

This came from a brown rock that gave a strong signal on one side. Cracked it in half on the spot. One half gave a soft signal the other half gave a strong signal. A second crack revealed the gold. I soaked the specimen in battery acid and have since used multi grips to gently break the stone away. The little nugget came away very clean indeed. My first find after three and a half years of detecting. When I saw the large rock in the scoop and got the signal I immediately thought of this thread as I had followed it previously. The rock was the first thing I checked in the scoop. So thanks guys this thread helped keep me focused and record my first nugget find with the Eureka.

Cheers Bob.

I never turf a hot rock that I detect till I check it right out. Have found numerous hotties that have had gold in them over the years. A good indication is to balance over it and then wave the coil back over it and see if it still gives the same signal as it did at the start. Most duds will dissipate after that and most goodies will stay the same. Still check em though but it looks more positive by miles for the stayers.

Latest posts