Another Pick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Wednesday I dug another hole to nowhere. The nice "deep nugget" type signal was still there but had not improved.

Deep hole.jpg

At this point I hit the cap rock and decided to dig no further however it showed me that my pick was not up to the task.

Plough disk.jpg

I don't carry a big pick because most of the gold I find is close to the surface and the little pick is easy to carry.

Pick handle.jpg

Today I'd planned to have a go at electroplating but couldn't find the materials so after looking about my eyes fell on this old mattock handle so I decided to put it to good use.

Pick parts.jpg

A bit of spotted gum is a rare find about here so a little trim and a rub down with sandpaper and a good coat of lanolin turned it into a new handle.

Finished Pick.jpg

It took me an hour and a half so at today's wage rate I suppose it ended up a pretty expensive pick but one good nugget should cover it :)

And here I was thinking you had knocked one up to fit the end of that mini excavator I have seen in your driveway
when you built the fishing hole.

"Nah.. that's not a pick.... THIS IS A REAL PICK !" type of moment.

Good work.