Hello from the Adelaide Hills

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm not trying to discourage SA detecting,i've got plenty of gripes with the system.

knowing where the gold is and not being able to touch it is torture. :Y:

If it's any consolation, the Liberal candidate for Heysen, Josh Teague, has just knocked on my door asking for my support in the upcoming elections, and wondering if there were any particular issues that I'd like to see addressed. I talked to him about the over-restrictive control of state land for fossicking purposes in the Adelaide Hills. It may have just been political spiel, but he assured me that this is an area (the opening up of state land for recreational purposes) that he is actively pursuing.

shmiff

Disclaimer: I am apolitical.

An afternoon of coincidences.. after meeting Mr Teague I happened to get the manager of the Labour party's election campaign in my car, and immediately afterwards the legal manager of the South Australian mining department in my car, so I got the chance to have lengthy discussions with both of them.

The legal manager was very helpful. According to him, the 1971 Mining Act does not prevent prospecting or fossicking on any Crown/State land; in fact everyone has the right to do so. The real obstacle is the Environment Act; the minister of that department has the power to restrict access to their land even though we would legally be allowed to prospect on the land if we could gain access to it?! The Environment Act usurps the Mining Act in this instance, mostly for reasons of duty of care.

His advice was to write to the Minister for the Environment after the state election and put forward reasons why access to the land should be granted.

He also suggested the possibility of introducing a licensing scheme like that of Victoria, whereby we indemnify the department for any injuries that we may sustain while prospecting, and may include an agreement that the prospecting licence allows the transfer of ownership of any finds from the Crown to the individual.

A group letter from a proper association would be most effective, especially immediately after the elections when the politicians are looking to make their mark and introduce popular reforms.

shmiff

Welcome. Hope you read all you can as it helps .

1519726037_welcome_2.jpg

wow,that's pretty awesome.

now you see what I mean by EPA and the heritage register.

there's also the matter of parks or reserves covering big swathes of the gold bearing land.

barossa goldfields is a great example.

where you able to get a website or place that actually lists said crown land?

Not yet, though I'll post the information if I find it.

I gave the politician my contact details and asked him to keep in touch. They're very keen to get votes at the moment so this a great time to bring up issues and ask for changes.

shmiff

To add to this,the gov a few years ago (maybe 2 or less?) bought back a section of land and turned it into a conservation park.

It has some of the only stated auriferrous ground in sarig.

This became a Conservation Park.

Yep,plenty of gold there.

malri_au said:
wow,that's pretty awesome.

now you see what I mean by EPA and the heritage register.

there's also the matter of parks or reserves covering big swathes of the gold bearing land.

barossa goldfields is a great example.

where you able to get a website or place that actually lists said crown land?

Hello malri,

I stumbled across this website

http://maps.sa.gov.au/plb/

It's great. You can select overlays to show things like ownership parcels, land usage, state heritage areas (not all of Hahndorf is heritage, just a corridor of it) and state/Crown land and recreational areas etc. etc. There's almost too much information.

Let me know if you find it useful.

shmiff

malri_au said:
If you know anything about gold and SA,the name Teague is an important one. Interesting.

You could only hope that he's a relative. :Y:

Hello Malri, seems like you know a thing or two about a thing or two, how many years you been fossicking in S.A ? :)

Hi everyone ,
I have been going to Cox creek in Bridgewater and have had people stop and tell me I can't do that here. The same locals that don't mind the overflow of there toilet/shit collection sumps flowing into the Cox . I'm about to have soil samples done and present them to the same bunch of idiots at the council and encourage them to give us places where we can enjoy our hobby and then I might drop the shit in the river issue

Good on ya @Ash . I know this thread is old... but I'm a newbie in SA too (newer than you i think) and just wanted to encourage you in what you're trying to do and in letting us know how it goes.

Latest posts