Got My Eyes Set On Purchasing This Highbanker - Need Confirmation!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to purchase my first highbanker and have decided to go for one I found that appears to me to look like a quality made/designed piece of equipment - however with my limited experience I would like to get some confirmation on whether or not this is indeed the way to go.

The bloke that runs the show is named Mark and I talked to him over the phone, he seems like a real genuine enthusiast with a lot of experience and who knows what he's doing. His website is: goldirocks.com.au and the sluice I'm thinking of getting is the Highbanker Modular ($1480).

Let me know what yas think... and if there are any other similar highbankers that you think might be better value for money that I can get here in Aus, please share!

Cheers,

navieko

Hi navieko
Welcome to the forum.
I don't own a highbanker yet, so I'm not qualified to comment on that one.
My advice is do the research. Look at lots of different machines.
Plenty of info here on the forum but try YouTube as well.
Of course I must recommend looking at Wal and Liz's videos.
Great explanation of his machine :)
I know you are buying, not building but cant be bad to have more info.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=426

Good luck

Rod

I am not 100% sure but if this is the highbanker I saw at the ford i would give it a miss, especially at that price. The highbanker I saw the riffles were backwards and had about a 10mm gap on either side and did not fully touch the mat, allowing water and material to pass under the riffle and around the sides. I may be wrong but the photo's look similar.......

Hey Lads,
Not trying to rain on your parade but if you are just doing it as a hobby there are cheaper units around that will do Just as good as a job as the expensive ones.
I pick up the miners den model for $460ish and bought a Honda WX15 pump and was still under a grand.
It looks good, but can they deliver the goods so to speak.
Put some research into it or even make one yourself.
I wouldn't invest that much money unless I knew I had a good spot that was producing some good color.
Also as Ian (Shivan) said "Make sure there are no visible gaps that can create a disturbance and loose your gold, bloody hard work if you shovel all day only to get a few little specks and not a lot more than you should.
Cheers
Brad.

Appreciate the advice guys!

Just to clarify, I have done a fair bit of research before stumbling across this highbanker and have considered - and still haven't ruled out - some of the cheaper ones, however pretty much all the cheaper ones I've seen would in my opinion need quite a bit of modifying in order to get them to work as efficiently as I want - and I just don't have the time, skill-sets or patience to make/do extensive modifications myself.

@Shivan - I would be very interested in knowing for sure if this is the same sluice that you've reported seeing flaws in... there is an e-bay listing of the same sluice which has more pictures - perhaps you could take a closer look at them and let me know if it does have the same problems or not?

Just type in "HIGHBANKER-MODULAR-SLUICE" in ebay.

One of my biggest attractions to this particular sluice is it's apparent ability to process even 2 shovel loads a time, and as well break down very muddy material. Also looking at the pictures I get the impression that it's a very solid unit built to last.

Of course the downside to it all is that there are no video reviews to be found and all information I got is from the guy selling it.... so there is bit of a risk - especially for that price.

I'll keep doing some more research anyhow, but any more input would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers,

Navieko

$1000 is a ot of cash, I got mine made up and all up with 25m hose and a 5.5hp pump I am still under $500. And I am a building nuffy. It really is easy. BUT if cash is no issue then spend on.

navieko, after looking at the ebay pics i am sure that was the one i saw. In the 3rd pic you can see the sides of the riffle bar does not come close to touching the sides of the sluice, and insted of putting the riffles at a slight angle he has just put them in 90 degrees. The overall build was ok but the actual sluice seemed like it needed alot of work for the $$$$ asked. Just my 2 cents ;)

Appreciate the advice folks, starting to lean more towards the 48" RDH. For $1200 I can get the setup including a 2.5HP pump and all the hose/fittings included. However I will spend more time keeping an eye out for good second hand deals as well.

Cheers again for your input shivan, I appreciate it!

There is also a guy in Seven Hills Sydney who makes them , but again expensive

M & D Marks Super Sluices

(02) 9838 0397

3/, 27 Anvil Rd, Seven Hills, NSW, 2147

Save yourself $1000.00 dollars go and buy the highbanker from minersden..
There is only two mods to do..
1.Put a spraybar on it.
2.Replace the grizzly bars to half inch flat expanded mesh..
Add a pump and some layflat hose your ready to go...
Highbanker $460.00
Pump on ebay 1 inch $230.00..
Layflat and fittings $60.00.
Spraybar $20.00
Thats the way i would go...
Cheers GR....

Goldrocs said:
Save yourself $1000.00 dollars go and buy the highbanker from minersden..
There is only two mods to do..
1.Put a spraybar on it.
2.Replace the grizzly bars to half inch flat expanded mesh..
Add a pump and some layflat hose your ready to go...
Highbanker $460.00
Pump on ebay 1 inch $230.00..
Layflat and fittings $60.00.
Spraybar $20.00
Thats the way i would go...
Cheers GR....
I agree I got my pump for $100 delivered 5.5 hp., and hose for $50 delivered from ebay, save your cash and use it for petrol or give me the savings. :p

I reposted this because it applies to this thread aswell.** I guess the problem with working out your highbanker is it is like asking people "what car should I buy?" Everyone will swear by what they like the best and that everyone else's is rubbish. I went with a similar design to the good old wal-banker but with a wash box on top because I dont get gems stones down here. But in saying that I could easily wash out a big nugget because i didn't follow Wals design. If i had my time over I would most likely build a Wal-banker because it has no obvious draw back other then it is a little slower to shovel then rake BUT finding one decent nugget/ big gemstone would make up for this instantly. I am pretty liberal when it comes to others finding gold because I have no competition when i go out, BUT if I was in a high volume area I would jump with glee at every rubbish highbanker I saw as they are just leaving the gold for the switched on guy that went with the Wal-Banker. Oh and if anyone cares i swear by magnas hahahah wink

Hi guys,

It was awhile ago when I posted this but wanted to let you all know that if it wasn't for your input here I would have made a stupid decision in wasting a LOT of money on something that, let's face it, doesn't even come close to the Wal-Banker. Yep I've done my research, and you were right - that thing is a beast.

Already awaiting quotes from a few fabrication places to get the Wal-Banker made!

So once again thanks for the wise advice - I'll be asking for it more often! :8

Hi. Highly recommend that you check out the clip posted by Wal nLiz it's called "High-banking for Gold." My brother has just purchased on from the US - 6footer and it cost $500 including freight ($100). Wish we had seen the clip first. Wal goes through all the tech - how and why it works and then were to source materials. I'm actually only joined this forum - am hunting for the measurements :)
cheers (& good luck) Natascha.

I was just talking to a bloke about the goldirocks unit this morning I'm amazed that they are selling units for so much and from the pictures it looks like they run the mesh bak to front. Hope you get a good price from your fabricator mate all I can say is get two quotes can save you heaps

Well, I have tried making my own few but im not very good at the metal stuff, so after $300 spent on scrap (is now) I bought one from a shop ($450) had to mod as was loosing lots of gold under carpet, so did not work outa the box, and cost another 25 to mod and still has poor results as sluice or hibanker! My Angus is the only thing not to let me down.

And I have listened to all who have helped but it did not work for me and the area im working, med to heavy clays. Months of trial and error.

So I battled on ebay for one of these Goldirocks and got it for $1250. That's loads I hear you say! And it is! But well worth it!

When it arrived I was sceptical with gaps under first few riffles, the design is deferent from all the US stuff. The thing is solid enough.
Just like it says in this thread, but let me tell you, your wrong! This bugger really works fantastic !!

Its a plug and play hibanker, no BS, No mods needed to make it work, and all that fine gold was just sitting in the rubber mat at the top! The riffles do the job great as it forces water and heavies under riffle
bar and into carpet and the lighter stuff flows over the top! Its much better than I expected.
Even with my pump running to slow it works great! It has tripled my gold intake.

Yes its expensive, but every thing Australian made is!! Thank the Gov for that!

Soon I will pop up a revue vid on this Goldirocks hibanker Stay tuned.

I love it! Ill I need now is a bigger one :lol:

Soon to be used on a Working Mining Lease! That's how happy we are with this unit.

Say what you like about it, it does what it says on the Tin, and that's more than I can say for others!

As I don't drink, my wife said gold is a cheep hobby! Would have drunk that money fast when I was younger!

Latest posts