Gold Rat 8 inch highbanker review

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have purchased a Gold Rat 8 inch highbanker and I wanted to give a bit of a review of my first experience with the company and the equipment.

Firstly, I wanted to make clear that I have no affiliation with Gold Rat but rather I have an obligation to pass on this collective information to my fellow forum members.

I purchased this highbanker from the Gold Rat website, and it was easy enough to pay via PayPal. Shipping was very reasonable at roughly $27 from Queensland to Melbourne. It arrived within 3 days, and my son and I unwrapped it like a Christmas present!
We found the highbanker very easy to set up, but you need to check all the nuts and bolts to ensure everything is right before first use. Unfortunately the pump that I had paid for wasnt in the delivery, but a very apologetic Dustin had it expressed to me and in my hands in 2 days. Fantastic service!

We took the highbanker to Slatey Creek for our first time out, hoping for our first ever finds of the yellow stuff. The highbanker was easy to transport thanks to a Bunnings garden trolley which held all the equipment and made it easy to move. We set up in about 15 minutes including battery and solar panel, and we kicked off.
We enjoyed a relaxing day digging and processing our material from buckets directly into the hopper. It was so much more enjoyable than classifying material down to pan.
The highbanker handled quite a bit of material at a time, and even with a pan below the matting to check for losses, no gold went past the mat.
We processed approximately 300 liters of material over the course of the day, and together with my wife and two boys, we created some wonderful memories.
As a bonus, we found our first ever gold which had us all excited (even though we really need to learn so much more about locating deposits). Lots of specks and about 4 nice flakes.
If you are considering investing in a highbanker, I could not recommend this unit any more highly. Buy Australian and support a fellow prospector.

I hope this helps with others making their minds up regarding future purchases.
Frank. :)

I recently bought the 12" and couldn't be happier with it. Fantastic high quality product and Dustin's customer service is amazing, I honestly don't know how he does it.

Latest posts