Good Prospecting Boots, gloves ect... ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNug

Joel
Reaction score
The good old crocks have been my foot wear recently. After trying on a pair of ridiculously slippery non-grip gumboots, I refused to wear them again... Any one mind sharing there footwear when prospecting ? Hand gear as well ?

Much Appreciated
Joel

I wear redbacks [no metal] in winter.
Even a lot on non steel cap boots have a steel spline in the sole.

I wear Merrell Refuge Core hiking boots, they're so light and comfy I ended up buying a second pair as backup :lol:

Nugget.

Hahaha that's for sure Rod ! I remember reading a post about the steel capped boots and detecting... sounded like one hell of an experience. :lol:

How long have you had those hiking boots for Nugget ? That's exactly what I'm after, comfortable and light !

Cheers
Joel

Trusty gumboots for me :D Though mainly when highbanking or detecting. Panning normally leave the joggers or boots on.
As for gloves we started off with a pair of the rubbery/plastic chemical gloves (as they were long and waterproof). They ended up with holes in them very quickly and only got used in winter. I now have a pair of demolition gloves from bunnings. Whilst not water proof, they protect from jagged rocks and glass and are better than bare hands on a cold morning :rolleyes: ;)

BigNug said:
How long have you had those hiking boots for Nugget ? That's exactly what I'm after, comfortable and light !

I've had them for about twelve months now I'd say, and I haven't even had to open the second pair yet.

Nugget.

for winter in the creek try a pair of dive gloves

assuming you can find a pair to fit your hands that is

unfortunately i cant get gloves to fit my 24 cm long hands / 11 cm index fingers so i am still searching 8.(

backcreek said:
Nugget said:
BigNug said:

I've had them for about twelve months now I'd say, and I haven't even had to open the second pair yet.

Nugget.

howmuchisit?

I think I paid $160 / pair.

True, I actually purchased my first pair of gumboots only a couple of weeks ago, $19.95 from Bunnings :p

I like rigger type pull on boots.

Mine have a composite toe although must still have some steel in them but the detector only goes off right on them. Don't pose a problem under normal circumstances. Mine also go well in water but will leak if you try to stand in water all day. Fine if walking thru/along creeks etc. Once worn in their like slippers.

I wear my work boots, Oliver ATS. Composite Toe and no metal content at all. Although the 5000 will pick up something in them, I think it is metal that has melted into the tread at work.

Columbia Hiking boots, lace-up with no metal eyelets, think $80. Thermal socks for winter $20, thinsulate gloves from ebay for $5. Paid $35 for possum fur gloves but they were useless.

HeadsUp said:

unfortunately i cant get gloves to fit my 24 cm long hands / 11 cm index fingers so i am still searching 8.(

Wow ! You must be able to pack a punch my friend :D
Thanks for your response mate, will look into a pair of diving gloves.

Joel

BigNug said:
HeadsUp said:

Joel

go to a dive shop and try a few pairs on before you decide , then buy the same kind on ebay for 1/3 of the price ;)

you have to compare the feel to other kinds of glove , thinsulate is used in a few brands of glove too but you have to weigh up the waterproof-ness compared to flexibility so you can still have dexterity without getting sore muscles in those fingers over a long day of work.

and as for packing a punch ? , not any more mate i have arthritis in my hands from martial arts training . a good punch comes from the whole body anyway . not just big hands :/

if i cant buy gloves to fit me i might have to consider just dipping my hands in to a tin of silicone rubber . hahaha :)

HeadsUp said:
BigNug said:
HeadsUp said:

Joel

go to a dive shop and try a few pairs on before you decide , then buy the same kind on ebay for 1/3 of the price ;)

you have to compare the feel to other kinds of glove , thinsulate is used in a few brands of glove too but you have to weigh up the waterproof-ness compared to flexibility so you can still have dexterity without getting sore muscles in those fingers over a long day of work.

and as for packing a punch ? , not any more mate i have arthritis in my hands from martial arts training . a good punch comes from the whole body anyway . not just big hands :/

if i cant buy gloves to fit me i might have to consider just dipping my hands in to a tin of silicone rubber . hahaha :)

Sounds like a plan mate !

Yeah I wouldn't want that either my friend, I should be able to duck into a diving store soon. :D

You could say that again ! I'm just being a silly bugger ;)
hahahahaha one way to get around it hey mate :)

Latest posts