Golddiggerart - Detector finds...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
Nice lump of silver mate, well done on that, are you going to try to clean it up?

Yeah mate I have already started but need some paint stripper to clear the paint then I may look at buying a Blow torch kit from bunnings
to straighten it out....As for polishing I will just get some different grade sand papers and polish it when done.
Will be a slow process for me and only when I can get the time to do it. Rainy day project. :)

Edit:The silver linked bracelet I will take to a jeweller to put on the extra two links and a clasp so my wife can wear it. :)

Secret Squirrels said:
golddiggerart said:
Got out for a dig with kiara today, a few goldies around the athletics track kept us happy with a few brownie and a silver bracelet chain...
No hallmarks on the chain but one just knows what silver looks and feels like....
The Silver tub/pot I found on the way home, we had stopped along a track next to the railroad which I have always wanted to detect,
it was on the boundary fence of a property that has been cleared and I did see the owners but chickened out of asking if I could detect their land.

On the way back to the car I met a bloke playing with his dog and we chatted a bit and then I told him where I found it, I also told him
that I wouldn't mind getting permission to detect around the corner and he said they're a really nice couple so I may just go back and ask,
they can only say Yes or No and they did see me with kiara... :)
Over an ounce of silver woop woop...

Hi Art, what an inspiring way to get back in the groove, great hunt mate.

Don't be shy of asking for permission to detect mate, as you said, they can only say yes or no. I have found that given the right approach 9 out of 10 will say yes. I have a rehearsed spiel that i use that seems to work well in a country town where people are community orientated. It goes like this.

Hi, my name is Reg, I live in Maitland and work in the home services sector, when i have spare time i like to swing a detector and hunt for old coins and relics as a hobby. (I show some old coins, buttons dog tags etc) I keep a data base on all my finds and then i research the location and i'm gradually building a collection that depicts the history of the yorke peninsula in relics. Ive had my eye on your (farm site, paddock etc) for sometime now and i reckon it's got the potential to produce some interesting old relics to add to the collection. feel free to say yes or no, but if i don't ask i won't get, i was wondering if you would give me permission to detect on your site. i'm very environmentally minded, i use a little garden trowel and a screwdriver to extract any targets and cause a minimal disturbance to the soil. I take all the junk with me and i respect the property and it's owners. I'm quite happy to show you what i find and willing to hand over anything that has family significance.

Once they say yes i show my gratitude and ascertain they realise it will take a few trips to search the property fully and it could be spread over a period of time as i only detect in spare time.

I find avoiding mentioning gold, silver, jewellery or rings stops the greed or protection of my treasure thoughts from entering their heads. Instead i try to focus on the history and community/historical collection side of things. This seems to make them more willing to say yes go for it.

Hope this gives you some ideas and inspires you to go and ask.

Regards, Reg.

Thanks Reg that was great of you to do that mate.... Appreciate it very much. Cheers GDA

So I got out for a quick dig last night with Kiara considering the place where I picked up the silver bowl is a 3 minute drive away....

I cherry picked my targets as it was 10:00 pm at night and I didn't want to be out till the early hours of the morning especially with my
girl in tow.
Managed to get a couple of nice finds from around the same area and also a surprise find, a nice little ring a ding ding.
The winding key looks to me like it was from a grandfather clock but I may be corrected on that.

1530802467_36666112_10212408942607400_1116134409636937728_n.jpg

1530802484_36713686_10212408945047461_4436194221648510976_n.jpg

1530802502_36660321_10212408941967384_461371623228833792_n.jpg

Weather permitting Kiara and myself will be back to the railway track looking for my good finds....
I will also take a picture so you can see where I am detecting....

Until next time happy detecting and best of finds to all.
Cheers GDA :) :Y: :)

I always look forward to your posts Arthur :)
While your still finding cool stuff you've gotta keep hunting the site ;)
That ring is a cracker .... well done to you both :Y:

The Scrounger said:
So that is the key :lol: to finding that ring.

That is a very very nice little ring for sure,can you give us anymore details.

Nice :Y:

The Scrounger the ring is silver and the stone is mother of pearl. Never expected to find a ring along the track but back in the early 1900s to the present it was and still is a very high traffic area.... :)

Sandta said:
I always look forward to your posts Arthur :)
While your still finding cool stuff you've gotta keep hunting the site ;)
That ring is a cracker .... well done to you both :Y:

That's the plan....also need to see about detecting on the vacant lot before they start to landscape it. :)
Cheers mate... :Y:

Thanks Tony and Reg.... :)

So I got out the other night with Kiara to the railroad track and we managed to find some targets to dig, the council has layered the grassy area's with bark which makes it a little bit more difficult as it is built up over a foot in some places.
I went to see about getting onto the property but never bothered asking as the mounds of dirt were all cleared and the ground had been prepped for lawn?
Anyway here are the finds and also a gift of a coin sent from the USA from a bloke I have had contact with from youtube, he has offered other coins if I want any more so U may take him up on the offer as I would like a Silver Dollar.

1531024674_36712172_10212417020769349_5753084636880175104_n.jpg

Not sure what it is made of, could be brass/copper - Nickel/copper?

1531024703_36843126_10212417021609370_597740610153086976_n.jpg

1943 Walking Liberty Half Dollar 90% Silver

1531024957_36835457_10212426182798394_7149539931155595264_n.jpg

1531024970_36794340_10212426179758318_156957178945601536_n.jpg

Until next time, happy detecting all...

Cheers GDA :) :Y: :)

Nice hunt :Y:
Thats a good idea , swap a few different coins with each other
Our coins would be just as cool for them ,as theirs for us :p

Sandta said:
Nice hunt :Y:
Thats a good idea , swap a few different coins with each other
Our coins would be just as cool for them ,as theirs for us :p

I am getting together some detected coins to send to him. :) Hopefully he will send me a Silver Dollar. :) :Y: