Gold Detecting, Fossicking and Prospecting in NSW. Information and questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's either laugh or cry Jaros,... and I have always preferred to laugh when I can, as long as it doesn't rub anyone up the wrong way(ha).
Will only cry if I'm cutting up onions(hee hee sob).

Hey Andyndan,

Its tough work to spend 10 hours a day digging for a couple of flakes of gold, if your lucky! It took me months and hours and hours of reading, research and field time before I found my first nugget but that's the name of the game. What we all are searching for is a nugget that some 30 odd years of detecting and detectorists have some how missed! Also there is only so much public land we all have access to.

Now when the stars align and you find that first one its a fulfilling experience but I will not give you that exact spot and nor will you to the forum when you find your first, I suspect.

I can tell by just asking for a spot the frustration of spending all that money on detectors and not finding any gold. I wanted to sell up at one stage after 3 days digging trash, very frustrating. But perseverance paid off. Now when I am sorting dirt on top of the coil I actually see gold but more often than not its lead or iron. But I now believe that gold will show up in due course and when I think that signal is rubbish and choose not to dig it, its time to stop for a break! I ve found a nugget that was surrounded by iron fragments, I would have dug up 5 iron fragments before the 6th was a nugget. Others with discrimination capabilities or too lazy to dig everything missed it! That's where we are going to find it that others before us have missed.

I suspect that the big gold seems to be in WA or far Nth QLD in remote areas. In NSW we are fighting for scraps of what's left?

Keep at it, its a tough yet rewarding hobby.

RS

Retirement Stone said:
Hey Andyndan,

Its tough work to spend 10 hours a day digging for a couple of flakes of gold, if your lucky! It took me months and hours and hours of reading, research and field time before I found my first nugget but that's the name of the game. What we all are searching for is a nugget that some 30 odd years of detecting and detectorists have some how missed! Also there is only so much public land we all have access to.

Now when the stars align and you find that first one its a fulfilling experience but I will not give you that exact spot and nor will you to the forum when you find your first, I suspect.

I can tell by just asking for a spot the frustration of spending all that money on detectors and not finding any gold. I wanted to sell up at one stage after 3 days digging trash, very frustrating. But perseverance paid off. Now when I am sorting dirt on top of the coil I actually see gold but more often than not its lead or iron. But I now believe that gold will show up in due course and when I think that signal is rubbish and choose not to dig it, its time to stop for a break! I ve found a nugget that was surrounded by iron fragments, I would have dug up 5 iron fragments before the 6th was a nugget. Others with discrimination capabilities or too lazy to dig everything missed it! That's where we are going to find it that others before us have missed.

I suspect that the big gold seems to be in WA or far Nth QLD in remote areas. In NSW we are fighting for scraps of what's left?

Keep at it, its a tough yet rewarding hobby.

RS
Hey there RS. Thanks so much . Your advice and info was such a great read just then . It's made me feel a lot more confident . I guess I decided to get into detecting as it's been a dream of mine since I was a little fella and I can now afford it . I love being out in the bush and if there's possible gold with that well what a bonus. One day I'll look at going to WA and QLD. But I put it like this . Learn to fly a plane before you jump in and try and fly it . So for the time being I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I go on the big trips . Thanks again RS . :) :D

If I can find gold at Hill End, then so can you.

I know a lot more is there, I know it is hard work digging lots of fuggets and I know the value of research and listening to the advice I have been lucky enough to receive from PA members out in the field (thanks guys, you know who you are).

You certainly have the best tools for the job but the little tips on how to use them effectively can be found by searching through the forum or spending some time out in the bush with some of the guys/gals on this forum.

As mbasko indicated a few of us are heading to Hill End late this week, if you can make it up there I am happy to show you where gold was found to help you read the ground, but if i knew where it was, i would be digging a hole. ;)

Wally69 said:
If I can find gold at Hill End, then so can you.

I know a lot more is there, I know it is hard work digging lots of fuggets and I know the value of research and listening to the advice I have been lucky enough to receive from PA members out in the field (thanks guys, you know who you are).

You certainly have the best tools for the job but the little tips on how to use them effectively can be found by searching through the forum or spending some time out in the bush with some of the guys/gals on this forum.

As mbasko indicated a few of us are heading to Hill End late this week, if you can make it up there I am happy to show you where gold was found to help you read the ground, but if i knew where it was, i would be digging a hole. ;)

I'm only available on weekends. Would that be when you guys would be up at hill end . I'm very interested fellas. Cheers

Yes, a few are getting there Friday but most are coming for the weekend. And a few are hanging on for a couple of extra days.

We will camp at the campground in town, there is also a NAPFA meeting on the Saturday so there will be quite a few prospectors around.

We use UHF25 when bushbashing.

Wally69 said:
Yes, a few are getting there Friday but most are coming for the weekend. And a few are hanging on for a couple of extra days.

We will camp at the campground in town, there is also a NAPFA meeting on the Saturday so there will be quite a few prospectors around.

We use UHF25 when bushbashing.

Copy that wally69 I shall put a call out over that channel . Is that the best way to contact do you think. Cheers mate . Really appreciate it .

Phone reception is non-existent so best thing is to head for the campground and say g'day to whoever is there. We generally come and go several times during the day.

People will generally post when they intend to arrive a couple of days out. I'll let you know when I intend to arrive later in the week.

Wally69 said:
Phone reception is non-existent so best thing is to head for the campground and say g'day to whoever is there. We generally come and go several times during the day.

People will generally post when they intend to arrive a couple of days out. I'll let you know when I intend to arrive later in the week.
Awesome . Thanks wally.

Chanel 25....lol
Its the channel i picked to use all those years ago when a group of us would met up there on a regular basis., and its still being used there today.
The only reason i used 25 was because on my old Phillips UHF, it was to darn hard to change channels on. :D :D It was my home channel from when i lived out of Mudgee.

Tell me, have they improved the cell phone coverage, or do you still have to park in front of the Police station for the best reception.? Or drive to the lookout.?

Most still drive up to Kissing Point to use their mobiles.
I'm with Optus & it comes in/out in different spots. Get some service out at Tambaroora. Nearly shat myself one day - didn't think there was any service but had my phone in my top pocket. Missus rang when I was pretty zoned out concentrating. Took me a bit to work out was the hell was happening & why my left tit was vibrating :lol:

CORRECTION - looks like I have some wild turkeys flapping around in my forehead and may have confused things.

Friday week - a number of PA members will be at Hill End from Friday 13th to Tuesday 17th

I was camped out at Tamba with a small group for training one weekend, when during a stormy night, one of the clients, an elderly gent took a bad turn. Heart problems.....i drove up and down that road looking for reception before realizing ...you dont need cell rx to make an emergency call. Embo's met them near Hargreaves as his driver said to let them know we will meet them along the way...just tell them to have their lights on.....all was good.

You would think that tower out there would be updated by now. :rolleyes:

Have to get back out there for a weekend....kinda miss the place.

i have a coupla bars 3g service i most of hillend

just a tip !

dig every target, ya find lots of shit , but then there is the cool things to, an hey we are cleaning the environment

Doctor said:
i have a coupla bars 3g service i most of hillend

just a tip !

dig every target, ya find lots of shite , but then there is the cool things to, an hey we are cleaning the environment
That's a really great way to look at it . Cleaning the environment .

I had pretty good Telstra service most places weekend before last . Enough to send a txt at the least .

To mbasko and wally69 . I will be unable to attend hill end this weekend as I forgot I have reservations on Saturday night . Id like to thank you for offering your help fellas . Will have to make another date down the track . Thanks again guys .

Andyndan said:
To mbasko and wally69 . I will be unable to attend hill end this weekend as I forgot I have reservations on Saturday night . Id like to thank you for offering your help fellas . Will have to make another date down the track . Thanks again guys .

Hey Andyndan, the gold is elusive in NSW but don't give up. Each session out is priceless whether u find gold or not. Cant say it will be an easy task and cant say you wont have those moments where you look up to the sky, the sweat drips from your forehead into your stinging eyes and you look back down and say to yourself what the F#$k am I doing here! I've been there and seen others with the same look on their face.

But the harder it is to find, the bigger the challenge and with the right tools and attitude you will start to find it and realise how important research helps....gold isn't usually in random spots that no ones ever found it. It takes quite a few outings even to the same areas to start to know them better. More importantly you are also getting out into our beautiful bush so rejoice the whole experience whether you hit a nugget or not. Give it a bit of time and do try to meet up with guys that have been doing it for a lot longer than you, you will lean a lot!

Twapster said:
Andyndan said:

Hey Andyndan, the gold is elusive in NSW but don't give up. Each session out is priceless whether u find gold or not. Cant say it will be an easy task and cant say you wont have those moments where you look up to the sky, the sweat drips from your forehead into your stinging eyes and you look back down and say to yourself what the F#$k am I doing here! I've been there and seen others with the same look on their face.

But the harder it is to find, the bigger the challenge and with the right tools and attitude you will start to find it and realise how important research helps....gold isn't usually in random spots that no ones ever found it. It takes quite a few outings even to the same areas to start to know them better. More importantly you are also getting out into our beautiful bush so rejoice the whole experience whether you hit a nugget or not. Give it a bit of time and do try to meet up with guys that have been doing it for a lot longer than you, you will lean a lot!

Awesome message . And yes . I've had that feeling of what the ...... Am I doing hahaha . But I plod on :)

Latest posts