Gold Detecting, Fossicking and Prospecting in NSW. Information and questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get back to Hill End go on a panning tour with Ted Abbott - Phone 02 - 6337 8251. He charges $5 per person per hour & has been teaching people how to pan for 30 years & reckons 1-1.5 hours is all most people need. He's also a great character with plenty of Hill End knowledge & will share a few spots to try.
One tip - don't turn up with a plastic pan as he'll tell ya the best place for them is the local tip. He only uses metal pans.

Nothing in the Wollongong area. Have done a little work but mainly just to test my gear as I built it. Pieces are few and far between.

ok i have just been advised we have been invited to a wedding at Balranald NSW,
not being one to let an opportunity pass by is there any thing up that way worth taking the detector for
if anyone knows the area any help would be appreciated, i have until November to do my research

thanks Ron

Try a search on trove and get old parish maps to get the location of long gone buildings along the waterline etc,
shearers quaters could prove interesting.

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the gold fossicking scene, wanting to know your thoughts on where is a good place to go for a pan i was thinking perhaps Nundle, Hanging Rock or Tuena. I am from Maitland, NSW any advice would be much appreciated as me and my wife wanted to try gold panning for our anniversary. If there is any other places to suggest please feel free and any tips where i should be looking would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Hi renji232, a lot of the forum member are currently away on a PA group get together at Nundle. There are a few members who are from the Maitland area who would be more than happy to assist you. You will just have to wait for them to get back, which should be around Monday or Tuesday.
Jason.

Thanks for you help Jason i will await for there reply, currently i am planning to go but it wont be until mid February we intend to go. Thanks again. :)

Hi renji232.
Welcome to PA. There are quite a few members around Maitland and the lower hunter.
As willo said, there is a large group up at Nundle this weekend.
Nundle is probably tge closest to us for gold panning.
Also some detecting areas around Hanging Rock, crystals can be found as well.

here is the link to tge Nundle gathering....
It will give you some general info on the area.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3547

Cheers

Ramjet

Thanks Ramjet for the heads up, at this stage we are just looking at going to a pan and to have a scratch in the dirt as we don't have a gold detector yet. Any info on where abouts at nundle should i be looking at for some colors would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

If you look at the map in the link I posted, you can get access to the river in many places along the road highlighted in purple.

Were tht 'B' is on the map is Swamp Creek camp. Toilets but no shower.

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if there are any prospecting locations that hold weekend "courses" for panning etc that you know of? Im a visual learner so in the meanwhile will be watching youtube but its just not the same as being on location

Im in Yass NSW

Cheers

Ted Abbott - runs panning lessons at Hill End. He's a great character, very experienced (about 80 years young) & charges $5 an hour. He reckons he can teach most people in about 1.5hrs although one of Teds hours could be two of ours. He's in no rush :lol: Only uses metal pans but if you learn to keep gold in those I reckon something like a Garrett super sluice pan would be easy afterwards.
If you spend an hour or two with Ted you could then explore the Tambaroora fossicking area for the rest of the weekend. Ted would be around - he lives down there & he might even point out a good spot or two.

Ted Abbott - Phone (02) 6337 8251

Thanks mbasko! not sure about the metal pans thing when there are obvious developments making a panners life easier with bowls that have riffles (hope im using the right lingo lol). But still I think the kids would have a ball and I can make a weekend of it!

He'd be good with the kids. Does the school tours out there so handles a bus full some days. Great bloke to have a yarn to - full of local knowledge. He's fairly old school & swears by using metal pans.

Latest posts