Gold assay

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the purpose of the assay, and what type of material do you want to assay?

goldierocks said:
What is the purpose of the assay, and what type of material do you want to assay?
Hi Mate, I have a perth mint gold bar i kneed to know weather its real or forgery, cheers.

Im no expert, but...
An xrf gun will only tell u what the surface is made of, same with the chemical tests. Would need to do a specific gravity test to know if it's real, but even then the Tungsten rods put in solid blocks went undetected for who knows how long by professionals in major gold depositories.
As far as l know the only way to be 100% sure is very high powered x-rays. Still a specific gravity test should give u a decent idea if it's real. Best part is you should be able to do the test yourself.

Matt80 said:
Im no expert, but...
An xrf gun will only tell u what the surface is made of, same with the chemical tests. Would need to do a specific gravity test to know if it's real, but even then the Tungsten rods put in solid blocks went undetected for who knows how long by professionals in major gold depositories.
As far as l know the only way to be 100% sure is very high powered x-rays. Still a specific gravity test should give u a decent idea if it's real. Best part is you should be able to do the test yourself.
Hi Folk thanks for the help i will do a gravity test and see what happens i know the formula is here some wear i just to have to find it, Thanks again.

:cool: Hi fellers, Just done a gravity test 31.11 gram on the scales the same in a bucket of water, so i guess it mite be the real thing,the only thing is i dont have it in on paper, Thanks for the help, Cheers, Ron.

Simple specific gravity test such as this one in the link below works very well, I use it all the time. Pure gold has a specific gravity of 19.3, just follow the directions and it should work out right. My mate got scammed with a fake gold bar on ebay, the bloke refunded him when he reported it and even let him keep the fake bar. Do a scratch test as well as it may be gold plated tungsten, it would be very easy to scratch through the gold plate surface layer if it's a fake. Tungsten has a very very similar specific gravity at 19.22 so a scratch test and SG test are needed to test suspected fake gold bars.

http://johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/articles/specific_gravity.htm

Article I read in the paper yesterday regarding fakes.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/fak...b/news-story/0038f83141b26e66c57f9246af143770

Easy fakes are not hard to spot, but if it's a well done fake it's very hard to know without serious examination. A scratch test will show the cheap fakes, but not the good ones.

Old story but it shows how careful you have to be.
https://www.abcbullion.com.au/investor-centre/blog/Tungsten-filled-Gold-bars

Oh and even people that have purchased bars from reputable dealers have been stung by this. Only way to be 100% sure would be either expensive testing or to buy from a smelter or refiner that made the bar themselves.

Latest posts