General National Weather advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat wave at the moment here at Creswick 3.4 degrees,and not a frost just cold, just as well we have global warming coming to save us.

Regards Frank

Just got back here at home.
Brilliant flights home and only a bit of rough stuff just before
landing at Merimbulla.
Pilot did warn us though there could be a bit of chop on the way.

Sounds like you had a great break, Doug.

Here is the latest update from JWC

*** WEATHER MAIN HEADLINES FOR TODAY SUNDAY AUGUST 21ST ***

- WIDESPREAD RAIN TO IMPACT MOST OF QLD, LARGE PARTS OF NSW, NORTHERN PARTS OF SA, EASTERN/ SOUTH EASTERN PARTS OF NT, HEAVY FALLS IN PARTS (SUNDAY TO WEDNESDAY)

- LOW TO DEVELOP OFF NSW COAST

- COLD AND SHOWERY SOUTHERN WA (SUNDAY NIGHT TIL TUESDAY)

- RAIN AND SOME THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY FOR SE SA AND PARTS OF VICTORIA (SUNDAY & MONDAY)

- A STATIONARY LOW SOUTH OF TASMANIA WILL CONTINUE TO DRIVE SHOWERS

- A cold front and upper level trough to impact southern WA tonight, tomorrow and into Tuesday with colder southerlies, local hail and thunder also likely. Perth will also see this weather.

- Scattered showers and few storms impacting central oz today through parts of the NT into northern SA thanks to a trough system, part of this system will thicken and produce showers/rain and few storms across south western QLD, southern QLD, northern and central NSW Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday morning. Good falls in parts especially northern inland NSW.

- New upper trough thanks to the southern WA system will follow this which will allow for another large rainband with embedded storms Tuesday across western, south western and southern QLD, locally heavy falls in parts of the southern inland. The rain will move further east with the best of the falls south of a line from Mt Isa to Richmond and south of Townsville.

- This trough will also produce instability across western parts of SA with hit and miss showers and few storms however widespread showers or rain will accumulate across eastern and south eastern NT and Pastoral regions of South Australia next two-three days with good falls in particular over the north eastern Pastoral district.

- The widespread rain over Qld and NSW will allow for a low to develop off the NSW coast between Sydney and Wollongong stronger winds likely in and around the low and possibly heavy falls near the South and Illawarra coasts of NSW. Some of this rain will spill into far eastern Victoria.

- A stationary low south of Tasmania will continue to drive cold sw winds and showers over western and southern parts of the apple isle over the coming days, This will push into southern Victoria Wednesday and Thursday. Some parts about the west coast, south east and Central Plateau saw 10-25mm yesterday and overnight.

- In Vic and SA showers/rain and few storms from a separate system Lower south east district of SA and large parts of Victoria mainly southern and mountain regions, good falls overnight around the Lower SE SA/SW VIC .. Robe and Cape Jaffa recorded 34mm overnight, Naracoorte AP 25mm, in Victoria Mt Buller recorded 51mm followed by Cape Otway 17mm. This will continue to impact these regions for next 24-36 hrs before the system weakens.

Plenty of weather around next few days!

Image: Latest satellite image as we point out the systems and what they will do over the coming days.

- JWC

Just got smashed here this arvo had about 40mm in 20 minutes south of Seymour. The ground was already saturated, dams full and overflowing. A neighbours dam overflowed so much the road on a down hill gradient had nearly a foot of water coming over it, never seen that before around here (14 years). My boys kayaked the paddocks and froze themselves to the bone. Ah to be young and (dumb) free, boys will be boys

I should have said again, last few months crikey I'm really over this wet windy and cold weather. But what do you do. I suppose next I will will start to complain about this hot dusty dry Summer. I must travel around Oz and find a nice average temperature weather place by a nice little fresh water stream with a nice amount of Barramundy a few wabbits and or goats near a nice mountain with lots of nice quartz reefs and s#*t loads of nice gold nuggets...mmm that would be nice plus a nice little out of the way pub 15 kays up the road, maybe a tad bit closer. I don't ask for much really.

Weather in Dunolly looks ok to me, I leave in 2 hours for the week. :p

1471903573_capture.jpg

Yep Redfin

It looks like the big system in the next few days will be focused on S. Queensland and Northern NSW, as well as down the NSW Coast, so Dunolly should be OK.

Outback areas in Queensland have had some very welcome rain.

Wishfull said:
I should have said again, last few months crikey I'm really over this wet windy and cold weather. But what do you do. I suppose next I will will start to complain about this hot dusty dry Summer. I must travel around Oz and find a nice average temperature weather place by a nice little fresh water stream with a nice amount of Barramundy a few wabbits and or goats near a nice mountain with lots of nice quartz reefs and s#*t loads of nice gold nuggets...mmm that would be nice plus a nice little out of the way pub 15 kays up the road, maybe a tad bit closer. I don't ask for much really.

Sounds like Tassie would be right up your street. Wouldn't mind having a gander around there myself.

Mike.

Wishfull said:

Sounds like the South Coast of NSW apart from the Barra but plenty of other species... :) :)

Looks like we are in for another interesting week, weatherwise:

***** MAJOR RAIN EVENT TO COME IN TWO PARTS TO IMPACT MOST STATES THIS WEEK ******

***** SHOWERS, RAIN AND STORMS TO IMPACT TROPICAL PARTS OF WA THROUGH CENTRAL AUSTRALIA DOWN THROUGH EASTERN AND SOUTH EASTERN AUSTRALIA *****

***** BIG FALLS WITH POSSIBLE FLOODING THROUGH RURAL NSW, SOUTHERN INLAND QUEENSLAND, REMOTE PARTS OF SA/NT AND NORTH EASTERN VICTORIA *****

***** MURRAY-DARLING BASIN PRIMED FOR BIG FALLS *****

***** PLEASE SHARE THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION WITH FRIENDS & FAMILY OR ANYONE YOU KNOW THROUGH THESE REGIONS *****

Good evening afternoon/evening everyone, this week is starting to shape up as a very wet one for many parts of Australia with rain of some sort to impact most regions and heavy falls possible through remote regions of central Australia and eastern Australia.

A two part rain event will unfold across many regions between now and next weekend.

We will break this down in where and how both systems will impact

*** SYSTEM NO ONE (Sunday night til Wednesday) ****

*** WESTERN AUSTRALIA - Best of the falls ***

- Kimberley
- South coastal and south east coastal districts
- Northern Interior

General 10-25mm in these areas however any storms that develop may produce heavier falls.

*** SOUTH AUSTRALIA ***

Bar the west coast and southern parts of the North west Pastoral ALL districts should see at least 8-10mm, some parts of the interior could see widespread 15 to 30mm. Adelaide and hills should see 8 to 15mm with local 20mm falls. Any thunderstorms that develop may produce locally heavier falls.

*** VICTORIA ***

- Most of areas on and north of the ranges will see solid falls (8-25mm)

- Lighter falls in the south including Melbourne (5-15mm)

- North east Victoria may see 20-60mm (this may renew riverine flooding)

Any thunderstorm that develops may produce locally heavier falls.

*** TASMANIA ***

The best of the falls will be about the west and north with 5 to 20mm expected at this stage, lighter falls in the east and south including Hobart. Isolated thunderstorms may produce locally heavier falls.

*** NEW SOUTH WALES ***

- Most inland regions on and west of the ranges should see 10 to 30mm with this system

- The Northern Rivers and coastal regions in general will see lighter falls (2-10mm) this includes Sydney.

- ACT should see 10 to 25mm from this first system.

Local thunderstorms may produce higher falls.

*** QUEENSLAND ***

South western QLD Channel country will see the best of this system local falls around 10mm. Storms may produce higher totals.

*** NORTHERN TERRITORY ***

Areas west of Alice Springs will see the best of the falls with this first system widespread 8 to 20mm. Gusty storms may produce higher totals.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** THE SECOND SYSTEM PART TWO (Wednesday August 31st til Saturday September 3rd) ****

SOUTH AUSTRALIA - Inland South Australia likely to see substantial falls especially North east Pastoral district. Thunderstorms will also be very active especially Thursday, some storms may become severe. Flooding may become an issue remote parts of SA cutting roads.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA - Showery most of southern WA Wednesday, small hail and isolated thunderstorms also likely, Perth included 5 to 20mm general falls, isolated heavier falls.

NORTHERN TERRITORY - Big falls widespread 15 to 40mm possible about southern and south eastern parts including Alice Springs regions, thunderstorms very active starting later on Wednesday through Thursday. Some storms may become severe. Flooding may become an issue remote parts of NT cutting roads.

QUEENSLAND - Most of the state will see substantial falls with the heaviest falls likely about the south west Channel country region, this region could see 30-80mm. The rest of the southern and central parts of the state should see 20-50mm. Only the Cape York Peninsula may miss out. Flooding may become an issue remote parts of QLD cutting roads, riverine flooding may also become a problem.

NEW SOUTH WALES - Most of the state will see a drink from this system with perhaps the Lower western district seeing little from this, heavy falls in parts. Widespread 20 to 50mm but spot falls close to 100mm is possible especially about the ranges and Snowy mountains, it may turn to snow on the higher peaks. Sydney and the ACT likely to see substantial falls from this system.

VICTORIA - Heavily dependant on the development and movement of this second system however odds are growing the east and north east of the state is likely to see rain with decent falls about the ranges in particular, rain may tend to snow on the higher alps. At this stage western half of Victoria is expected to little from this system but this may change with any subtle movement of the low. We will keep you up to date with this.

TASMANIA - Will largely miss out on this rain event HOWEVER if there is any subtle changes in the models which brings the heavier rain closer to Tasmania we will let you guys know. At this stage scattered showers will impact

Winds will also be strong with both systems so keep an eye out for that as well.

More to come tomorrow or Tuesday...

Image one: First system tracking through southern states Monday night (3 hours rainfall precipitation shown here by the EC/Euro model) we can see the second system tracking towards WA.

Image two: The first system tracking through south eastern Australia delivering rain and some storms activity for Tuesday night. (3 hours rainfall precipitation shown here by the EC/Euro model).

Images three to five this is the second system which is stronger than the first and will deliver more rain in the regions it moves through than the first system. These are 24 hour rainfall accumulations through Thursday September 1st and Friday September 2nd. Big falls expected over inland regions of QLD and NSW as well as remote regions of SA and NT, some of it may move into eastern Victoria. These images are supplied by the EC/Euro model.

- JWC

Latest posts