General National Weather advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold snap!!!! Yah kidding!!!!! I thought it had come and gone, nearly froze the jewels off last week in a creek bed 2 hours from somewhere.

Bazz

Climate change...not. I actually thought it might snow here in Maitland S.A. couple of days ago which it has never done as far as I'm aware. Can't wait till my missus and I start traveling around Oz next year al being good and get to soak up some sun.

Was at Tuena last weekend , met Gunter another member , a little chilly at night but Sunday was around 20 odd degrees daytime , his son trod on a six foot snake on the creek bank.

Woke up in Sydney this morning, drizzle, but no where near as cold as I expected, I would call it fresh, nice change for me and the family, heading to canberra to visist my sister tomorrow.
Tonight, my wife and I are spoiling our selves with some fine dinning, usually do once a year, going to Tesuyas for digisation, (could put a deposit on a 7000 for that $) but she loves it, soooo......inlaws with us from Indonesia, 1st taste of cold, and they think its not too bad....havnt got to canberra yet! Will do a day trip to the snow while we are in the ACT, maybe mt selwyn. (That way I can tease my self at kiandra looking at the creek, and try to spot some gold looking bends!)

Living the lush life, there Dave! I ate at Tetsuya's place a few times when he started out in Rozelle many years ago, but haven't been to his joint in the City. It used to be an upmarket Japanese restaurant called Suntory. You are right about it being expensive, and you can really go to town on the drinks there!

Snake was probably too frozen to move, I'm sure they both would have got a fright. Bloody lucky son.

Weather is crook here today, so keen for a swing but it won't be happening. :(

An update on the system from John's Weather Channel.

**** PLEASE VERY IMPORTANT TO SHARE/TAG THIS INFORMATION WITH FRIENDS/FAMILY ****
**** WINTER STORM ON THE WAY FOR SOUTH EASTERN AUSTRALIA SUNDAY JULY 10TH - WEDNESDAY JULY 13TH ****
**** RAIN, DAMAGING WINDS, HAIL, THUNDER, SNOW TO LOW LEVELS ON THE WAY FOR TASMANIA, VICTORIA, SOUTHERN NSW AND WESTERN & SOUTHERN SA ****
One of the most powerful winter storms in several years is on the way for the south east between Sunday July 10th and Wednesday July 13th
Rain, very strong winds, snow to low levels, hail and thunder all look to strike the south eastern states between Sunday and Wednesday, it will initially start with wind and rain on Sunday and gradually get colder.
75-80% of Tasmania likely to be covered in snow by Tuesday evening as we expect snow levels down to 100-200 metres and possibly down to sea level in the south west! In Victoria snow will fall as low as 400 metres, 500 metres southern highlands of NSW and 600-700 metres in SE SA. 40-60cms is likely for snow resorts.
Check how deep the low will be associated with this cold outbreak south of the state on Tuesday by the models.. ACCESS - G has pressures falling down to 966hPa by Tuesday evening while EC/Euro model 959hPa!!
So not only we expect very cold bitter temps with low level snow for Tasmania and Victoria but very strong winds which are likely to cause damage. The strong winds will begin Sunday with the first of the fronts and continue until at least Wednesday before conditions ease, some parts may see wind gusts of 110-120km/h in both Victoria and Tasmania.
Rain will also be an issue especially for saturated soils of northern and western Tasmania as well as parts of Victoria, northern slopes and north east in particular. Good falls of rain also expected in western and southern South Australia especially southern agricultural areas.
We will continue to keep you updated on this big system next day or two as more data comes in.

Niice. Need this kind of weather coming through sa. Ground is soaked now and primed ready for some runoff to get some very sad looking dams filled up.

Hmmmm, will be in Canberra sunday......might be chilly then?
Tetsuya, s changed to Benelong for tonight, no problem, and I had a small, win, she who is always right, mdecided to take me on a bet. I said, mif Im wrong, I would roll around in the snow wearing only my undies, mshe said, she would streak if she was wrong! She was wrong lol! Now she has decided that the definition ofmstreakmidmjust the boobs out......but I won anyway! A rare win, so very satisfying.

Thanks for the heads up Dr Duck!

Latest posts