Garrett Extreme

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good and unbiased report. Good to see he also reports the falsing on stones etc, weight issue requiring bungee for extended use, coil design catching / snagging twigs etc, coil config in relation to twist/tweek to keep it in correct position to ground. Very similar to what i experienced.

Seems like an honest report and highlights the good as well as the bad points of the machine. Need to see more reports like this which are not sponsored reports.

The ATX will prove a very capable machine. Can't wait to get a hold of the mono coils to form my own opinion.

Cheers Wal.

Hi All !

Here is a vid of some guys in Calif who are hunting with some GPXs and an ATX using 8in monos....just thought you might want to take a peek....

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/yyyVMhMC8WM[/video]

Wal....can't wait to hear about your tests when you've completed them...

Cheers,

Tye

Finally received my Garrett ATX today although the extreme pack is on back order. Looking forward to getting down the beach for a swing in the next few days. My yard is way too noisy, even the Ace 250 had troubles.
I am a bit disappointed that Garrett did not ship Australian plugpacks for the battery charger.

I have been looking at the harness for the ATX and I think I may have an idea of modifying a camel back by adding a D ring for left and right handed use and making up a clip on bungee line for any detector really. I have a few different types of camel backs so I will check them out. Hopefully two birds with one stone. :)

Well I just got back from Calala beach for a quick swing with the ATX and found a 10c at about 25cm, a toy car at about 10cm, and a whole heap of bottle caps. Used non motion mode at times and it is quite handy.
I used it in the shallows but had a problem digging targets with my little pvc scoop. I couldnt dig fast enough to find the targets as the waves kept filling the holes.
I bought a big green plastic shovel today and will modify it in the next few days.
So far the ATX is great but it is finding targets that are too deep. The big shovel will fix that.

Hey John! I signed up! Great to see you and you wife the other day hope you have been doing well with that beast of a machine!

Good on ya Josh and welcome. The ATX truly is a great machine but it is really sensitive to deep junk targets. I dont like digging down 80cm for bobby pins. It does run very sweet in the salt water and ground balances really well. We definitely need coil covers.

Until the coil covers show up it may pay to get some flat plastic or Perspex , cut down to the outer shape of the coil and drill a few hole and zip tie it to the bottom of the coil.

I forgot my coil cover one day and done the above with some heavy cardboard, surprised me how long it lasted and worked a treat..

Sounds like great detector so far, and simple to use, though still unbelievable for the price that they don't come supplied with skid plates, bizzare. Bit like buying a new car with tyres not included! :D

Still, even if they are already paid for and for something so basic, it was certainly on oversight by garrett to make detectors available before making skid plates available, am I the only one to think this is a bit strange? A bit embarrassing for garrett to have a flagship model out with people using cardboard and plastic as skidplates. I'm not aligned to any certain brand, by the way, I also own a garrett. :)

Hey sparra, yep that's the word. If you buy an ATX even though the covers are not yet available, my guy said they'd be sent when they came. I haven't got either yet but man am I hangin' out for it. Cant wait. Keep swingin'

Hey K98,
What do you mean by the thing below.

"I am a bit disappointed that Garrett did not ship Australian plugpacks for the battery charger."

TD

I think he means adapters so the charger can plug into Australian power points.

1386297613_capture.jpg

There was no Australian plugpack or adaptor supplied in the pack. This may be an oversight and I have emailed my supplier about it. I am still waiting for the Deep Seeker pack.

Purchased through Prospecting Australia - Sponsor (thank you Jason)

I got my "L" plates out till I graduate with with first nugget :)
1387186913_image.jpg

Latest posts