Garrett Extreme

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the dates of the Gold Coast Convention, any chance of getting a sample to the Nundle gathering?

Thanks, it will be interesting to call in at a dealer next week and see what information is available.

Hey KleinMan,
Thanks for the info on the ATX. I have been researching the ATX and the other top shelf detectors to see which I will purchase soon too. I will read the book and compare it with the other I have, At Pro, At Gold, 4800, 5000, Whites. I, too will have to wait a little while to purchase because of funds

Wow, just watched the DVD of the ATX seems really easy to use. Cant wait to get my hands on it. The ASX has to improve first!!!!!!!

Spoke to the local dealer today, the basic kit will be around $3300 the deluxe set up will set you back 4k..

He was at the Garrett convention on the weekend and says it will be a very good detector for our conditions.

Should start arriving at your local dealer in a few weeks.

I paid around $3400 for the full deepseeker package preordered. Just waiting on delivery now

I like it John, wil be interested to see how it compares to gpx

I read about a field test done at the gonna muster last weekend, the ATX could not detect a 3 ounce nugget any deeper than 250mm!
I like the rugged construction and how easy it looks to use, but that test result was very disappointing to see. I have detected 1/2 ounce nuggets at 500mm with my gpx and standard coil, this thing seems about on par with a SD2000 which are only $1000.

DD

Have been some ATX's starting to filter out to dealer's for demo day's etc. but to date have only been sent out with the DD coil - no mono's yet? Delivery for pre-order's etc. is this Friday I believe?
Have seen one write up on a recent independant "air" test where the ATX beat the GPX5000 on depth at detecting a small nugget but the GPX5000 then beat the ATX considerably on depth on a 3 ounce nugget. The GPX5000 had a 11" DD coil on in fairness to the ATX which was supplied for demo with only a DD coil. A few onlooker's & the tester commented that the ATX seemed much happier with the nearby EMI than the GPX5000 also.
Like I say "air" tests only but if the ATX struggles for depth on larger nuggets it may also struggle to attract too many Minelab PI user's especially as the GPX5000 will get the small stuff too with a mono on. All seemed to agree it will be a good mid price entry level type detector though & like the concept but none said they would swap their current GPX series for one.
Time will tell & can't wait to see some "real" testing & results come in i.e. use of them side by side in the field & finds made.
I think the hype about it being better or rivalling the GPX has been built up by ourselves. The ATX to me is a different type of detector aimed at people who may use it for gold but may also go to the beach, relic hunting etc. It will just make people looking for a new detector or first detector decision making a bit harder, by adding another choice depending on what they want to do, but for dedicated gold detectorist's not much will change - Minelab will still be the first choice for most.

p.s sorry DD - noticed your post after I put this up. Not directed at your comment.

I read the the same thing too fellas, the 3oz nugget test had me scratching my head wondering. It seems to run very very smooth though, but so can the gpx in cancel mode with a DD and it's still very sensitive just the depth is way reduced. Will be keen to see how the ATX runs with a mono in severe mineralisation.

Maybe the ATX missed the 3oz nug because it runs in a cancel type mode with the DD coil......? Might be great with the mono, might be just as prone to EMI as a GPX with a mono. Time will tell.

Another thing I havn't seen mentioned is coil covers for it????? Don't look they would last long without one.

I'm happy with my GPX, though always interested in new gear. So many different coils and combinations both machines are probably great for any detecting, wish the GPX was waterproof though.

I bagged a 50c piece at around 60cm with the 11in DD on a beach. Not sure if you could ever run a mono in coin/relic mode but it would detect deeper than I'd want to dig for a coin.

Hey Everyone, Dave From the USA. Have Pre-Ordered my ATX PI its going to be my first Real Metal Detector. I ordered with the additional Hard Case and 20 Inch Coil. Hope to share my hunting videos and will be able to compair my detector with my Neighbors GPX 5000, I will be intrested to see if the deep seeker will be able to find a 3 ounce nugget and how deep it will be able to pick stuff up.

Good luck Dave, you might get yours before I get mine so give us some good news on finds please

Thanks John, I hope to post a lot of videos. I started a site called Gold Prospecting In Arizona. I do web design by trade, and Search Engine Optimzation. Hope to use my skills to pay for my Hobby :lol:

We get our hands on the ATX this week.

Will be interesting to see how they go.

Now where can I get my hands on
a 3 ounce nugget to test with.

I only use 1g n 2g nuggets to test with normally.
Needs some large lead sinkers me thinks to do some testing.

Note to all, first deliveries of ATX has sold out.
We are now taking orders for the next delivery.

Latest posts