Garrett ATX vs Minelab SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Me Personally, I would Go for the SDC because I have machines that cover everything else and the SDC would fill that Gap,

John

Its a no brainer the SDC 2300 its deadly on small gold. Found 9 pieces the day I tried one. Willo

If I was to to choose one detector around the price of the SDC and ATX, i would refrain from going to the PUB for a few weeks, and with the savings I would get a 4500.....You won't look back. That would be my "primary" starting detector, and with some more savings and the gold you find I would get a 2300 as a "backup" machine. ;)

Wal.

My take on this is it depends on the size of the Gold in the areas you prospect, or the size of the Gold that is left. If there is quite chunky Gold then go a 4500, if the Gold is small you'll find way more with an SDC.

Myself and mate Shauno wandered all over a certain patch with our 5000's and got nothing (except that chunky bit you got Matt, lucky bugger), then when the SDC came out we cleaned out plenty from the same patch, well Shauno did, I got quite a few bits also.

So the type and size of Gold you expect to find will make a difference to finds. Just my opinion of course.

4500's are cheap and it's a big toss up between the 2 now, 2300 2nd hand could be bought for under $3000 though.

Retirement Stone said:
I will be doing the same Wal but in reverse. 4500 later on in the year.

Probably end up going the same way RS

Feel like I can't part with SDC because it gives back so much for the time invested , but just wouldn't feel right walking around the WA outback without a bigger hitter so to speak. If my wife detected , no brainer get a 4500 or 5000 , 2 machines have all bases covered , but having to go solo the benefit of a 7 k is appealing and is confusing matters for me anyway. Look forward to those members currently doing GPX with different coils v GPZ comparisons to post a bit more info to help with descision

Cheers

WalnLiz said:
If I was to to choose one detector around the price of the SDC and ATX, i would refrain from going to the PUB for a few weeks, and with the savings I would get a 4500.....You won't look back. That would be my "primary" starting detector, and with some more savings and the gold you find I would get a 2300 as a "backup" machine. ;)

Wal.

This is what i have done Wal. I picked up a 5000 for just a
Tad over 4k.

I have 14" NF, 14x7 NF and might buy a sadie later on.

Its now a matter of finding some good ground to detect.

As a pro once told me no one gets it all because the
Days are all different, not all machines are identical and
Everyone prospects differently which includes settings,
Swing speed and coil choices.

Heatho said:
My take on this is it depends on the size of the Gold in the areas you prospect, or the size of the Gold that is left. If there is quite chunky Gold then go a 4500, if the Gold is small you'll find way more with an SDC.

Myself and mate Shauno wandered all over a certain patch with our 5000's and got nothing (except that chunky bit you got Matt, lucky bugger), then when the SDC came out we cleaned out plenty from the same patch, well Shauno did, I got quite a few bits also.

So the type and size of Gold you expect to find will make a difference to finds. Just my opinion of course.

4500's are cheap and it's a big toss up between the 2 now, 2300 2nd hand could be bought for under $3000 though.

I'd still like to get back there with a bigger coil & give that spot a run again or see Shauno or yourself do it with the 5000's. Very nice quartz/ironstone wash through there down 6" or so - just too much modern camping junk to remain sane for too long. Maybe a DD & some iron reject but still a lot of lead, aluminium etc. about.

Bacchus said:
Retirement Stone said:
I will be doing the same Wal but in reverse. 4500 later on in the year.

Probably end up going the same way RS

Feel like I can't part with SDC because it gives back so much for the time invested , but just wouldn't feel right walking around the WA outback without a bigger hitter so to speak. If my wife detected , no brainer get a 4500 or 5000 , 2 machines have all bases covered , but having to go solo the benefit of a 7 k is appealing and is confusing matters for me anyway. Look forward to those members currently doing GPX with different coils v GPZ comparisons to post a bit more info to help with descision

Cheers

Same boat mate. 7000 should be a one machine capable of all.

Sell up and get a 7000?

Get a 4500?

Would be nice to have 2 capable detectors though if my one of my boys come with me.

Too many decisions, not enough $$$$$ :lol:

mbasko said:
Heatho said:

I'd still like to get back there with a bigger coil & give that spot a run again or see Shauno or yourself do it with the 5000's. Very nice quartz/ironstone wash through there down 6" or so - just too much modern camping junk to remain sane for too long. Maybe a DD & some iron reject but still a lot of lead, aluminium etc. about.

Yeah was thinking the same thing mate, I'm heading there most likely next week for a few days, I'll probably take the 5k and do just that with the DD for a day, the junk is thick and it will be hard going but maybe worth it, that bit you got gives me hope. Might try normal or sens extra timing and see how I go, not too many hotrocks there but that shale is a bit noisy, quiet audio could be the go also in Sens/extra or a reduced Rx gain.

Will be keen to get a few bits so will run the SDC mostly. Will probably head there Sunday or Monday if you or Steveo want to catch up, will just be on the main spot. I think Shauno is keen for a swing in a few weeks there also, I'll be keen for that too and will almost certainly make it.

Sorry for drifting off topic everyone.

You dont see many atx come up for sale often ,

I have quite a few hundred hours on my atx , i can gold prospect and beach hunt with it , its a good all rounder ,, but if i was just after tiny wee bits of shallow of gold and nothing else I'd grab the sdc ,, the 45 and atx with the 8" mono pretty closely matched " slight edge to the 45 " , but the sdc will ping smaller gold better ,, the atx handles emi better imo on those bad days ,, but all In all it dont matter what you swing its about being out there and enjoying it ,,

best to hire one or both or go out with someone who swings both detectors , imo ,

I'd buy the SDC. Do a search for SDC gold finds here and on google and you'll get an idea which detector people are finding more gold with.

stalker said:
but if i was just after tiny wee bits of shallow of gold and nothing else I'd grab the sdc

The SDC will detect larger gold at reasonable depth, the main limiting factor being the coil size.

If you want to find gold but only small gold get the SDC (look at 90% of the finds so far).
If you want a detector to find gold, coins, relics or just treasure in general go hire a ATX first as there heavy.

Zuke, I'm not saying either is better I'm just saying the SDC will give good depth on larger Gold for an 8 inch coil, 95% of the Gold left in most Goldfields are small bits. It's implying that it will only detect small pieces of metal as though it filters larger pieces and will not detect them, wave an SDC over a coke can and see how far it will detect it from, about 3 feet.

I just believe the "f you only want small gold buy an SDC comment" is not really true and is misleading for someone who is new to the hobby. There have been larger finds at decent depths.

The comment should be "f you want to find Gold the other detectors miss in heavilly mineralised ground, buy an SDC". That's why there are so many small pices being found, other detectors have cleaned up the big bits and could not detect the bits that are being found with it.

I like my Aldi detector and it does just as well as Minelabs or Garrets some days on coins around parks and ovals.

Latest posts