What I think of our detectors.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Last year we were at Six Mile Creek on the Tanami road trying to pan for gold when I decided we needed a metal detector. I discussed it briefly with Mrs M and before she changed her mind I was standing on top of a mullock heap with the iPhone for the modem and the laptop trying to weave through the assortment of machines likely to suit us.

Minelabs new SDC2300 seemed like the obvious choice. It was small enough to fit into our already cramped storage space and could easily accompany us on a hike somewhere. I was straight on the phone and ordered one from Ray in Karratha to be delivered directly to us from Minelab. It never happened. Ray called me back to say that the machine was not going to be available for at least another week.

Who can wait a week when spending $4000 we didnt have? It took me about 10 minutes to come up with the next option, the Garrett ATX deep seeker pack. It had all the features of the SDC plus a few and it was cheaper too. Within a few days we were at the Toll depot in Broome collecting our new machine. The size of the package nearly blew us away. By the time you add the heavy water and dust proof protective case, the carry bag, extra coils, earmuffs, spare batteries, sling and whatever else this was no longer a compact detector.

We played for a while on the beach in Broome picking up lots of small junk before an elderly onlooker asked if he could take a look at the ATX. He said hed spent many years swinging a metal detector and overall had found more than 8kg in gold. He suggested we make our way down to Nichol River near Karratha and try the salt flats there. We never found gold on our own but with the help of a local Mrs M dug and came away with a little 0.2g nugget. It was found with the GPX5000 where the ATX would hardly indicate a change in tone.

Well I have to say we were quite disappointed in the ATX. It seemed attracted to lead shotgun pellets where others were finding gold. We visited Ray the Minelab agent just to say hello to the guy we attempted to buy a detector from. He was obviously biased towards the Minelab machines and was nothing but critical of the ATX. However he generously lent us a little Minelab Eureka detector and suggested a spot for us to try. Unfortunately we never found the place and are quite sure he gave us a bum steer and I think the little Eureka was useless in these conditions.

With a little research we made our way to Burnies Patch where we met a nice couple with the ATX and a 5000. I told them we had this little nugget that the ATX didnt want to know about and he said The 5000 would find that ok so he called his wife over. Well theres something about our little nugget because the 5000 ignored it just lying there in a zip bag. That made me a little happier but I was still disappointed that the other 5000 found it 30mm under the muddy salt flat and the ATX couldnt.

Since then weve learned a bit more and we got Mrs M a great little Whites GMT. Now that we know a little more and weve learned the machines that little 0.2g nugget is our test piece. We carry it in a small tube and make sure each machine finds it before we head out to find more.

Our trip to the DWAG Muster at Niagara, WA was a learning curve. We were given a few clues on what ground to look for in the Niagara area and given a few tips on where to start. It really made all the difference to go with a group to get started. Thanks to the DEWAG guys we came home with 44g even though we had to listen to all the negative comments about the ATX from guys whod never held one and Mrs m was told that she wouldnt find anything with the Whites GMT in WA.

Before we headed off to Hawaii I decided this was the original reason I wanted the SDC2300. It was compact enough to fit into our baggage and reportedly good enough to find gold anywhere. We grabbed one in Bunbury on the way to the airport and never turned it on until we got to a Hawaiian beach.

My opinion so far

Ergonomics
Well the Garrett ATX wins here. It just feels good in the hand. Its balanced nicely with a comfortable armrest and great control panel that can be reached with the fingers as you detect. The standard DD coil balances nicely but the little 8 mono changes the overall weight significantly. I find it too heavy when the 20 mono coil is fitted.

The SDC2300 just feels awkward to me. It starts out feeling lighter than the ATX but doesnt feel comfortable. It doesnt come with a bungee but really needs one. The control panel seems to be missing a lot of control and I find it difficult to understand and use.

Ill add the little Whites GMT because we have it too. It doesnt win too many points on ergonomics but its light weight and such fun to use that that doesnt seem to matter. All the controls have a little arrow in the ideal position to get you started and you can adjust it from there. Those settings seem suitable for most conditions. The earphones dont have any coils in the long lead so that can be a little annoying in bushy conditions.

Batteries
Well the GMT wins hands down. They say the batteries last for about 40 hours but even though Mrs M was out swinging every day they went on for weeks without a recharge. I think they just rejuvenated overnight.

The ATX does ok as well. It comes with 8 AA rechargeable and 8 alkaline batteries each housed in a neat 4 battery cartridge. If the rechargeable batteries run flat during the day you simply slide the two other cartridges in and carry on. Ive rarely used the alkaline batteries because as the machine is turned on it indicates the amount of battery charge. Then when the batteries run down it gives off an annoying little intermittent jingle and flashes the battery light at least an hour before the batteries die.

The SDC. Well what can I say, Minelab have done a lousy job here. Firstly the batteries dont fit the holder so each needs a bandaid just to keep it in constant contact. Then they fitted 4 C-cell batteries. I thought these went out with transistor radios and those old torches we used before rechargeable LEDs took over. Every other thing we use has AA batteries so its no problem having a few more hanging around pre-charged. The C-cell batteries just dont last. They almost make it through the day but worst of all when they go flat everything stops. The alarm sounds and it all drops dead. If you happen to be a kilometre from the car and you dont carry around a pocket full of batteries then you just start walking.

Signal
Once again the GMT wins here. It has a beautiful little Quack that sounds right on the target. It changes its tone depending on the type of metal and it gives a clear grunt when it thinks the target is iron. The LCD display gives a variety of signals that work well with the sound to give the operator a good indication of the type of target detected.

I guess Ive got used to the ATX now but I still cant easily differentiate between the changes in tone. It gives a long signal that is confusing because the sound continues along with the swing making it difficult to easily determine t position of the target. It also has a nice iron check that can be of assistance but cant always be trusted. The pinpointing is fantastic. It will indicate by audio and a full set of LEDs when the centre of the coil is directly over the target. It can trick you sometimes when there are multiple targets but overall it saves a lot of time. Sometimes the coil is so touch sensitive that it will give a false signal even on a green plant. From a noise point of view in almost all conditions the detector can be operated silently. It has infinite adjustments for all conditions allowing to operator to swing along without a sound until a target is found.

Our first experience with the SDC was all bad. It kicked up so much noise every time it was turned on in Hawaii Mrs M just threw it back in the boot and we used the ATX. Since we bought the Sun Ray earphones and adapter (an extra $300) and used it here in Australia its been a lot better. Its still badly missing enough adjustments to control the EMI and effects of bad ground to be able to run the machine quietly most of the time. At least the earphones have volume control. The signal is like the ATX. It drags on through the swing not clearly indicating the position of the target. It has no pinpointer either but the coil is quite small so that helps.

Performance
Unfortunately I cant give a very good comparison yet. The ATX loves rusty steel down to the tiniest fragments and lead and copper bullet fragments. Fortunately it knows how to find gold as well. Weve not found much in the way of small gold yet but until we get something with the SDC I have no way to compare them.

The GMT loves foil. If theres aluminium foil anywhere it seems to find it all. Its a joy to use anyway and finds other tiny targets as well. Its only found 3g of gold so far but Im quite sure that theres lots more to come.

I really expected something special from the SDC on this trip. We went right to the area where we previously pulled out several nuggets with the ATX and the GMT but this time we got nothing with any of them. Mrs M spent a lot of time in the area where she had success with the GMT previously but the ground seemed clean. It too finds lots of small junk so I guess the gold will come.

Ill try to keep you posted on my personal opinion on our first three metal detectors.

I have the atx and hit the beaches around perth quite often ,, I have a few hundred hours on it now ,, batteries are important and get top quality rechargables , I use delkin aa 1.2v with 2900 mHa ,,, also have you tried the ground track , I find I can crank the sensitivity up more , but loose a little depth on hot ground , the atx pinpoints extremely well ,

look forward to your next outing with the sdc and atx side by test ,,

I bet this thread is going to SPARK some interest, good onya Moneybox for throwing your opinions out in the open, I can't comment on any of the other brands except the Minelabs, I don't own a SDC, but I have witnessed it in action many a time in the hands of a expierenced detectorist, if it wasn't making a sound on gold that would be because there was none at its detectable depth, this I'm sure you would already know mate.
I have seen the SDC find gold in areas that have been gridded by a couple of 5000's running Sadie coils, the little SDC just kept on brining home the bacon on the small gold, I have also seen a picture of a 39gram piece that was found with a SDC at a depth of 13 inches or next to 350mm, I wasn't there when it was found, but the guy who found it has no reason to stretch the truth on the matter. :)
best of luck to you and Mrs M, :D

Reading between the lines I think that you may need some further instruction from an experienced detectorist. Not being too critical but some things stand out from your "report".
Firstly using 3 different machines as a novice isn't ideal. I doubt you have mastered even 1 machine & worked out ideal settings, swing speed etc. etc. let alone for each different machine?
Secondly wanting to run "silent"! Doing this is exactly that - running silent. Without a good steady threshold you will not pick up faint signals which could either be small gold, like your 0.2 gram bit, or larger, deeper gold. I believe this is why you have a large number of relics & no gold. Getting used to listening to small threshold breaks that can turn out to be gold takes time & will be different on different machines.
Thirdly you appear to think that each of these machines will "find" you gold. Sorry but that's up to you! What you have is three good tools to help you in the search. I can vouch for both the GMT & SDC. You put them in the correct spot, use a good technique, have your settings right for the area & learn to pick up the small, faint threshold breaks - you will find gold. Running silent - I'm not a fan. Turning the "noise" down or off doesn't mean that the machine isn't being affected & also kills feedback to the operator. Maintaining a smooth as possible threshold is much better in my opinion.
Also surprised you only get less than one day from the SDC batteries - mine last up to 1.5 days - both sets?
Get used to threshold "noise" - it talks to you!

mbasko said:
Reading between the lines I think that you may need some further instruction from an experienced detectorist. Not being too critical but some things stand out from your "report".
Firstly using 3 different machines as a novice isn't ideal. I doubt you have mastered even 1 machine & worked out ideal settings, swing speed etc. etc. let alone for each different machine?
Secondly wanting to run "silent"! Doing this is exactly that - running silent. Without a good steady threshold you will not pick up faint signals which could either be small gold, like your 0.2 gram bit, or larger, deeper gold. I believe this is why you have a large number of relics & no gold. Getting used to listening to small threshold breaks that can turn out to be gold takes time & will be different on different machines.
Thirdly you appear to think that each of these machines will "find" you gold. Sorry but that's up to you! What you have is three good tools to help you in the search. I can vouch for both the GMT & SDC. You put them in the correct spot, use a good technique, have your settings right for the area & learn to pick up the small, faint threshold breaks - you will find gold. Running silent - I'm not a fan. Turning the "noise" down or off doesn't mean that the machine isn't being affected & also kills feedback to the operator. Maintaining a smooth as possible threshold is much better in my opinion.
Also surprised you only get less than one day from the SDC batteries - mine last up to 1.5 days - both sets?
Get used to threshold "noise" - it talks to you!
Thanks mbasco. Yes we are certainly novices with a lot to learn.
I take the ATX threshold up to 7.5 where I hear a faint sound then drop it to 7. I've tried faint signals on both and I find it easier to notice the intrusion of noise more than the change in noise. I realise I have a lot to learn but we'll just keep on trying. The previous time out we had warm dry conditions. This time it was mostly very wet or muddy. I don't now the brand of the SDC batteries but they are the ones supplied by The Prospectors Pick when we purchased the machine.

Doctor said:
is it ,was it raining ?? :lol:

comprehensive report :cool:
Yes Doc we started out in the rain after waiting three days for it to stop but then we just enjoyed the red mud...

stalker said:
I have the atx and hit the beaches around perth quite often ,, I have a few hundred hours on it now ,, batteries are important and get top quality rechargables , I use delkin aa 1.2v with 2900 mHa ,,, also have you tried the ground track , I find I can crank the sensitivity up more , but loose a little depth on hot ground , the atx pinpoints extremely well ,

look forward to your next outing with the sdc and atx side by test ,,
Hi stalker. I tried the ground track the other day in SA where I was on and off mullock heaps continually moving from one to the next. I can't comment on how it affected it's performance because I didn't find anything but it seemed to make a difference in keeping it running smoothly.

Moneybox said:
Last year we were at Six Mile Creek on the Tanami road trying to pan for gold when I decided we needed a metal detector. I discussed it briefly with Mrs M and before she changed her mind I was standing on top of a mullock heap with the iPhone for the modem and the laptop trying to weave through the assortment of machines likely to suit us.

Minelabs new SDC2300 seemed like the obvious choice. It was small enough to fit into our already cramped storage space and could easily accompany us on a hike somewhere. I was straight on the phone and ordered one from Ray in Karratha to be delivered directly to us from Minelab. It never happened. Ray called me back to say that the machine was not going to be available for at least another week.

Who can wait a week when spending $4000 we didnt have? It took me about 10 minutes to come up with the next option, the Garrett ATX deep seeker pack. It had all the features of the SDC plus a few and it was cheaper too. Within a few days we were at the Toll depot in Broome collecting our new machine. The size of the package nearly blew us away. By the time you add the heavy water and dust proof protective case, the carry bag, extra coils, earmuffs, spare batteries, sling and whatever else this was no longer a compact detector.

We played for a while on the beach in Broome picking up lots of small junk before an elderly onlooker asked if he could take a look at the ATX. He said hed spent many years swinging a metal detector and overall had found more than 8kg in gold. He suggested we make our way down to Nichol River near Karratha and try the salt flats there. We never found gold on our own but with the help of a local Mrs M dug and came away with a little 0.2g nugget. It was found with the GPX5000 where the ATX would hardly indicate a change in tone.

Well I have to say we were quite disappointed in the ATX. It seemed attracted to lead shotgun pellets where others were finding gold. We visited Ray the Minelab agent just to say hello to the guy we attempted to buy a detector from. He was obviously biased towards the Minelab machines and was nothing but critical of the ATX. However he generously lent us a little Minelab Eureka detector and suggested a spot for us to try. Unfortunately we never found the place and are quite sure he gave us a bum steer and I think the little Eureka was useless in these conditions.

With a little research we made our way to Burnies Patch where we met a nice couple with the ATX and a 5000. I told them we had this little nugget that the ATX didnt want to know about and he said The 5000 would find that ok so he called his wife over. Well theres something about our little nugget because the 5000 ignored it just lying there in a zip bag. That made me a little happier but I was still disappointed that the other 5000 found it 30mm under the muddy salt flat and the ATX couldnt.

Since then weve learned a bit more and we got Mrs M a great little Whites GMT. Now that we know a little more and weve learned the machines that little 0.2g nugget is our test piece. We carry it in a small tube and make sure each machine finds it before we head out to find more.

Our trip to the DWAG Muster at Niagara, WA was a learning curve. We were given a few clues on what ground to look for in the Niagara area and given a few tips on where to start. It really made all the difference to go with a group to get started. Thanks to the DEWAG guys we came home with 44g even though we had to listen to all the negative comments about the ATX from guys whod never held one and Mrs m was told that she wouldnt find anything with the Whites GMT in WA.

Before we headed off to Hawaii I decided this was the original reason I wanted the SDC2300. It was compact enough to fit into our baggage and reportedly good enough to find gold anywhere. We grabbed one in Bunbury on the way to the airport and never turned it on until we got to a Hawaiian beach.

My opinion so far

Ergonomics
Well the Garrett ATX wins here. It just feels good in the hand. Its balanced nicely with a comfortable armrest and great control panel that can be reached with the fingers as you detect. The standard DD coil balances nicely but the little 8 mono changes the overall weight significantly. I find it too heavy when the 20 mono coil is fitted.

The SDC2300 just feels awkward to me. It starts out feeling lighter than the ATX but doesnt feel comfortable. It doesnt come with a bungee but really needs one. The control panel seems to be missing a lot of control and I find it difficult to understand and use.

Ill add the little Whites GMT because we have it too. It doesnt win too many points on ergonomics but its light weight and such fun to use that that doesnt seem to matter. All the controls have a little arrow in the ideal position to get you started and you can adjust it from there. Those settings seem suitable for most conditions. The earphones dont have any coils in the long lead so that can be a little annoying in bushy conditions.

Batteries
Well the GMT wins hands down. They say the batteries last for about 40 hours but even though Mrs M was out swinging every day they went on for weeks without a recharge. I think they just rejuvenated overnight.

The ATX does ok as well. It comes with 8 AA rechargeable and 8 alkaline batteries each housed in a neat 4 battery cartridge. If the rechargeable batteries run flat during the day you simply slide the two other cartridges in and carry on. Ive rarely used the alkaline batteries because as the machine is turned on it indicates the amount of battery charge. Then when the batteries run down it gives off an annoying little intermittent jingle and flashes the battery light at least an hour before the batteries die.

The SDC. Well what can I say, Minelab have done a lousy job here. Firstly the batteries dont fit the holder so each needs a bandaid just to keep it in constant contact. Then they fitted 4 C-cell batteries. I thought these went out with transistor radios and those old torches we used before rechargeable LEDs took over. Every other thing we use has AA batteries so its no problem having a few more hanging around pre-charged. The C-cell batteries just dont last. They almost make it through the day but worst of all when they go flat everything stops. The alarm sounds and it all drops dead. If you happen to be a kilometre from the car and you dont carry around a pocket full of batteries then you just start walking.

Signal
Once again the GMT wins here. It has a beautiful little Quack that sounds right on the target. It changes its tone depending on the type of metal and it gives a clear grunt when it thinks the target is iron. The LCD display gives a variety of signals that work well with the sound to give the operator a good indication of the type of target detected.

I guess Ive got used to the ATX now but I still cant easily differentiate between the changes in tone. It gives a long signal that is confusing because the sound continues along with the swing making it difficult to easily determine t position of the target. It also has a nice iron check that can be of assistance but cant always be trusted. The pinpointing is fantastic. It will indicate by audio and a full set of LEDs when the centre of the coil is directly over the target. It can trick you sometimes when there are multiple targets but overall it saves a lot of time. Sometimes the coil is so touch sensitive that it will give a false signal even on a green plant. From a noise point of view in almost all conditions the detector can be operated silently. It has infinite adjustments for all conditions allowing to operator to swing along without a sound until a target is found.

Our first experience with the SDC was all bad. It kicked up so much noise every time it was turned on in Hawaii Mrs M just threw it back in the boot and we used the ATX. Since we bought the Sun Ray earphones and adapter (an extra $300) and used it here in Australia its been a lot better. Its still badly missing enough adjustments to control the EMI and effects of bad ground to be able to run the machine quietly most of the time. At least the earphones have volume control. The signal is like the ATX. It drags on through the swing not clearly indicating the position of the target. It has no pinpointer either but the coil is quite small so that helps.

Performance
Unfortunately I cant give a very good comparison yet. The ATX loves rusty steel down to the tiniest fragments and lead and copper bullet fragments. Fortunately it knows how to find gold as well. Weve not found much in the way of small gold yet but until we get something with the SDC I have no way to compare them.

The GMT loves foil. If theres aluminium foil anywhere it seems to find it all. Its a joy to use anyway and finds other tiny targets as well. Its only found 3g of gold so far but Im quite sure that theres lots more to come.

I really expected something special from the SDC on this trip. We went right to the area where we previously pulled out several nuggets with the ATX and the GMT but this time we got nothing with any of them. Mrs M spent a lot of time in the area where she had success with the GMT previously but the ground seemed clean. It too finds lots of small junk so I guess the gold will come.

Ill try to keep you posted on my personal opinion on our first three metal detectors.

G'day MB, well you certainly have A few bucks tied up in machines, I am running A few Whites Machines. Regarding the GMT, It is about the best Small Gold Machine because of the Meter and being the only machine with an adjustable SAT Speed, as you know the GMT runs at 48 kHz but In Very hot Ground the MXT works A little Better because it runs at 13.887/9 kHz (14khz) and wont pick up so much Ground noise and it will Disc out the Junk in the Relic Mode, And Both Machines have been Known to find Gold up to 18 to 24 inches Deep, I know Jimmy Sierra did find A Huge Nugget at about 32 inches deep with one.

As for the SDC I am Surprized you are not happy with it Because most people swear by them all in all it is A Great Machine, So maybe it is the design that you don't feel Good About, Like you I prefer the Style of the GMT hence why I use Whites Machines, I am sure people here will get you on the right track with it,

As for the ATX That's A Great machine, Steve H, Really Rates it for Beach Hunting, In fact he Took it to Hawaii and cleaned up in the Black Volcanic Sand and Rocks in an area that was bad with EMI, But he just dropped the Gain down A Touch once it was Balance and Done A Scan to help cancel the EMI,

Maybe you should sell the one you like the Leased and Check out the Whites TDI Pro or the SSP and the SL, No Disrespect But I don't think you should go for the 5000 because you seem a Little Eager to start Detecting and find Gold, Instead of Taking A few months/100+ hours to Learn the Machine,
The Trouble with having to Learn A Machine means you won't be Learning how to read the Ground or do research all at the same time, Either You Will Get there in the end,

Good Luck and don't forget to give us an Up Date,, John

Ridge Runner said:
Regarding the GMT, It is about the best Small Gold Machine because of the Meter and being the only machine with an adjustable SAT Speed

In Prospecting mode, the MXT Pro also has adjustable SAT speed, using the Dual Control discrimination/SAT Speed knob.

grubstake said:
Ridge Runner said:
Regarding the GMT, It is about the best Small Gold Machine because of the Meter and being the only machine with an adjustable SAT Speed

In Prospecting mode, the MXT Pro also has adjustable SAT speed, using the Dual Control discrimination/SAT Speed knob.

Yes sorry, I was referring to 100% Prospecting Machines, If you were to tell me I could Pick any Machine in the World for Free, Then I would Pick the MXT, And the GMT was based on the Research that went into the MXT,

John

Latest posts