Garrett ATX vs Minelab SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the main benefits the SDC has imo is its ability to be basically slid across the ground without falsing giving a true depth not represented well in air testing. In addition I particularly like the knuckle style coil assembly which can be pushed beneath undergrowth easily which has found me gold others have missed , I have never used an ATX so can not confirm the reports posted elsewhere that this may not be the case (falsing when knocked )with the Garrett so a days hire of both machines may be money well spent. The ATX was the machine I was considering against the SDC for they both appeal with their versatility and I went with the SDC after reading just about every report on this and other forums.

Good luck which ever way you go , but for me very happy SDC owner

Cheers

Well thank you all for the excellent comments and input. Some very interesting variations and considerations to make. I can tell from all your experience that this probably won't be the last detector I will purchase so I think I'll just have to enjoy whichever detector I choose.
I'm thinking the sdc is on the cards.

Redfin said:
Best to mention first the poster of that video is a Garrett Dealer.
Hadn't really noticed that so sorry and good point, but still the question still sits regardless of who's design it is, im after any infi on the dual pulse signal etc. I'm more asking on the systems differences and what they are mentioning or is this sort of talk not allowed?

I'd choose aussie over us detector anyday, just so that's clear :) atx signal noise sounds horrible like a squeeking swing

Youtube at it's best again :rolleyes:
All pulse machines have "holes" in their timings
The SDC is MPF (Multi Period Fast) running a single special class timing likened to Fine Gold/Enhance
The ATX for the most part has been a flop in Australia while the SDC speaks for itself. This would be in no small way due to the higher mineralisation we have on our goldfields here
In mineralised ground the results of that test would reverse
Bearkat is a Garrett dealer
Bearkat has also said the following:
Bearkat said:
"the ATX looses sensitivity and depth when the ground gets hotter, where the SDC 2300 does better in this dirt and retains more of its sensitivity"

I am 99% sure I wouldn't miss that piece in our Australian conditions with my SDC although I do run a booster.

Cheers mbasko for the info, I know nothing of the atx and little about how PI machines work. So yes in a way I'm right its just the ground and also the fact that bothbdetectors are made for only that certain ground in each country.

This is the first Bearkat vid I've ever watched..didn't know about the flaws..soz

And oh I know the sdc would scream at a aussie nugget that size on our fields..its much bigger than the fly legs that scream through it too :)

What are holes in pi? Is this between the transmit and recieve?

Yes he does clearly state he's had many finds and enjoys the sdc, which I guess is good for us if we were to ever travel to the u.s and detect knowing ( obviously ) it will still pick up gold there. I'm sure if he were on aussie ground his choices and tests would be very different