Garmin Montana 700/750i and inReach Range

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Garmin 700/750 models, or any utilising Garmin inReach sat comms? Looking to treat myself to a new unit and this one is on the list.
Prerequisites - large screen, inReach
Cheers
Troy

Touch screen devices don't fair well with detecting, screens become scratched up pretty quick.

Thank GS, I'm happy with the inReach tech, and as that post eludes to, it will basically replace my EPIRB with the extra benefits of 2 ways comms for a small cost the months I use it.
That's why we put screen protectors on when it gets unboxed, when it gets scratched too much just put another one on.
Spot on GH, exactly what I do with all my screen tech. I've already found a molle pouch and screen protector for it should I end up going ahead with the purchase.

Cheers all

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Garmin 700/750 models, or any utilising Garmin inReach sat comms? Looking to treat myself to a new unit and this one is on the list.
Cheers
Troy
I've owned the Montana 750i for years
The software absolutely sucks I sent them an email once outlining serious flaws and in true American form they did nothing. Example : everytime you use it the track is archived whilst that shouldn't be a problem because it will hold 10,000 of them. The problem is there's no option when looking up previous tracks to search by date so when searching for a specific dated track you have to go down the list by clicking down once every 5 tracks if the date you're looking for is 2 years ago that's 730 tracks ago that's 146 clicks away BUT this software 8s so bad the unit will freeze after about 300 clicks and you'll have to take the battery out to close it, you will never get to the date you're after.
The unit loses satellite reception often & never seems to find it again unless you restart the unit so you better save the position of your car in the bush and not rely on the tracking line or you'll get lost in the bush!
Sometimes this thing doesn't seem to know where it is or where you want to go leaving you in the bush wondering which way to go to get to the point you're navigating to, so I have to walk in one direction and see how many metres away it is if metres are increasing I know I'm going the wrong way pick another direction until the metre count counts down now I'm going the right way.
I had a Garmin 450 previously and the body material isn't UV stabalised and it perished so the on_off button fell out leaving a sticky plastic hole, chunks of the body could be picked off hole was big enough to stick your thumb in and a finger nail scrape would peel the surface under your nails (I'm sure you've had perished plastics before-not pretty) I'm waiting for the same from the Montana as it's made of the same material
USA product = Unprofessional Standards Applied
There's a few good days when you first get it but. The. Longer you own it the worse the software performs. Do yourself a favour and don't treat yourself to this $900 piece of garbage

It has more issues than I've mentioned & if you ignore my warning you can inform on what they are in your forthcoming post.
Cheers

Cheers
Troy
You owe me a
🍺 Cheers 🍻

No sorry mine is the 680t
Never the less the software issues will be there they were in the 450 and never fixed for the 680t
Check the past tracks on that unit and see if you can search for tracks by date, if not then the leopard hasn't changed its spots. Garmin should easily be able to offer updates to their software but they don't because they don't give a sh

When you load enough points or maps in, it can take up to 5 min to load after switching on (which is great when you have to remove the battery after it freezes several km from the car whilst out prospecting. Garmin sucks I won't get another one. I tell a lie I have an etrac 10 too (the worst ever) that I now mark my car in the bush, switch it off and put in Camelbak as a standby because I don't trust this $900 piece of junk to get me back to the car.

Think carefully and look at alternatives, consider yourself warned.
Cheers

Just remembered another thing I have marked waypoints in the past and they don't show on the map @ my location, then gone to check waypoints to see if it logged, only to see it is displaying several km from the spot I'm standing so have to select it and move to current location WTF. Have returned to prospecting waypoints only to find I can up to 100 metres away and on a couple of occasions never actually found the location again.

This forum is driving me nuts too I think the administration have got Garmin to write their code its clunky & freezing all the time Ahhhh!

Thanks for the info Gold1hunter, but that review site seems to be about their watches...Fenix, Vivo, etc with no mention of the new, or old, version of the Montana 750i.

Been using Garmin products for a long time without any real issues, and still currently use a GPSMap 76CS and an Oregon 200, and have experience with several aviation units. Other internet reviews with usage don't report nor display the lag you describe, which I have though seen and experienced in other older Garmin units.

Was really just hoping to get an Aussie hands on opinion, preferably from members here, because there doesn't seem to be any in depth Australian based reviews.

This forum is driving me nuts too I think the administration have got Garmin to write their code its clunky & freezing all the time Ahhhh!
😂😂😂

I have a GPSMap 66i and love it. It's not fun to type on due to the lack of a touch screen or QWERTY-style keyboard, but I've never had issues with satellite connection or messaging. It has the superior Garmin software (instead of the whatever software inReach initially used before being bought by Garmin). It feels a bit retro but works really well.

My only beef with it is the plastic screen, I've got a lot of scratches and dings on it. Looks like there is a screen protector available in Australia now but at the time I got it you had to import one from Germany (ridiculous I know). I guess I'd prefer to have a user-replaceable battery as well - not sure what I'll do when the battery dies eventually.

For little screens i buy a suitably sized mobile phone screen protector-works well-cuppla bucks or so. Try Ebay or a pop up phone shop in your local area shopping centre.

That's why we put screen protectors on when it gets unboxed, when it gets scratched too much just put another one on.
Damn a screen saver now why didn't i think of that ? Perhaps because it doesn't fix the issue maybe? :rolleyes: You obviously have all the answers so your good to go then 🤣

Last edited:
I have had an InReach Mini for 3 years and use it weekly from Apr to Oct each year when prospecting inc a trip up CQ/FNQ each year. If you want it as a satellite SMS service & ultra basic backup point-me-home-GPS then it works perfectly fine and I would recommend it.

Cost $450 + $25/month. I suspend the service Oct-Apr as I dont go prospecting then. InReach Mini 2 just released has a proper fluxgate compass rather than delta GPS position but as long as you keep walking in a straightish line the InReach 1 delta posn compass works ok. I use the Find Waypoint 3-4x each year to get back to the car just to keep myself familiarised with using different features on device but you would never buy it as a primary nav device as no map at all just distance ,bearing and heading.

It has a tiny screen but big writing. You can get a glass screen saver, which I have, but I still added a hard plastic cover over the screen held on with 3mm bungy cord. The unit itself is robust but you can get a rubberised cover ,which I got but didnt like as it doubles the devices volume & makes it stick in your pocket. I like the Inreach Mini as it is small enough to live in my pocket, which is handy when I dont take my backpack.

I have had plenty of overpriced GPS units in the past & these days I just use my phone as primary nav - why wouldnt you?- Even if you bought a $50 phone with no SIM just for navving and paid full price for software & maps ( which in QLD & Vic are free), you would have a device far cheaper & far nicer to use than a flash GPS. It would probably have a fluxgate compass too:) Plenty of cheap waterproof phone cases. Sure it is still more breakable but you handle your phone 50x a day without breaking it & you have the backup GPS & all your data is on your phone SD card so if phone breaks you just get home using the inReach / backup gps & buy another $50 phone. Good to go & you wont have to pay again for software & maps.

Attachments

• 20220409_154431.jpg
    20220409_154431.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Look up ZOMBIE finger regards touch screens explains why a screen saver won't rectify the issue and hence why touch screen devices are not really the best choice of device for prospecting use. Give someone like Johnny Appleseed GPS a call as they will give you the HONEST pros and cons of units not based on a sale buck. 👍
At the end of the day it's buyers / your choice, but just don't see the sense in purchasing an item when there are better alternatives available to suit the particular task it's being purchased for ? Anyways the suns arising and I have to beat the wave of Easter scratchers :oops: so I'm off to get my hands dirty for the day, as some nuggets have been patiently waiting thousands of years for me to get my grubby hands on them 😉
Excerpt
There are a few things you can do to prevent zombie fingers, one of which is to make sure your hands are clean. If there’s a significant amount of dust, dirt other debris on your fingers, it may prevent the electrical contact from occurring. Also, consider using a stylus if you are having trouble getting your touchscreen to register.

Last edited:
Damn a screen saver now why didn't i think of that ? Perhaps because it doesn't fix the issue maybe? :rolleyes: You obviously have all the answers so your good to go then 🤣
Come on mate, no one has all the answers not even me. But some have more answers than others. Once you use a touchscreen GPS you'll never stand there for 5 mins clicking 1 letter at a time (after scrolling up and down and across several times just to spell one word) again or clicking to the left right up and down to get to the bit you want. I've owned both and can assure you touchscreen is 100 times better. Being able to just touch a marker on the screen and then touch go and you're on your way! As apposed to scrolling looking on a list for the right marker to click on, it's tedious and becomes tiresome by the end of a long day!
Changed my "scratched" screen protector a few weeks ago (after 3 years) and the original screen beneath was and still is like brand new (screen protector was put on on day of purchase) Probably good for another 3 years now but the rest of the body/shell is in well used beaten up condition, don't have any answers on how to protect the shell as it gets pretty rough out there prospecting from sun up to sundown several km away from where a 4x4 won't go.

I don't know it all mate & don't appreciate being sledged. I'm talking from personal experience ARE YOU!

Outback Jack hey ? I get your ego may be bruised, but hey have a couple of valium and relax? Bit presumptuous re experience also but hey I just tried to help answer a question asked, the rest just doesn't interest me. As for where a 4x4 won't go ? Your probably just not driving it hard enough and odds on my house is probably more remote than where you camp 🤣🤣 Cheers Barry from Point Piper ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts