Finding the old Cobb and Co pubs.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When in flower, they are easier to see

1531105706_image.jpg

Upside said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9866/1529409828_2018-06-19_22.03.21.jpg

This pic was taken next to the 2nd cactus pic. Another clue to finding these old pubs is how far off todays bitumen roads most of them are. The road in this pic is right back where the tree line behind my car is. There's usually no fences because they were stock routes for droving cattle.

Another clue is notice the big tree behind my car? It's a peppercorn tree. For some reason people planted them back then. No idea why but they stick out like a sore thumb. Every pub site I've hit has them.
Peppercorn trees were used to hang meat as flys dont like peppercorn trees

most old shearing sheds around here have peppercorn trees around them too.
johno

narra said:
Upside said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9866/1529409828_2018-06-19_22.03.21.jpg

This pic was taken next to the 2nd cactus pic. Another clue to finding these old pubs is how far off todays bitumen roads most of them are. The road in this pic is right back where the tree line behind my car is. There's usually no fences because they were stock routes for droving cattle.

Another clue is notice the big tree behind my car? It's a peppercorn tree. For some reason people planted them back then. No idea why but they stick out like a sore thumb. Every pub site I've hit has them.
Peppercorn trees were used to hang meat as flys dont like peppercorn trees

Ahh that's the reason!! :Y:

I knew these trees weren't planted for the looks. I bet these cactuses or cacti also served a purpose.

Don't forget to keep an eye out for bulbs sprouting at certain times of the year, sometimes these give away long gone house sites or areas of previous activity.

Whether they are are specific to rest stops or stage coach routes or not, not really sure, though still worth keeping an eye out for on road verges.

Imagine living out in these places back then , always a possibility of bushrangers robbing you.

Where would you hide your valuables?

what a fascinating topic, my initial thoughts was something that was buggerd , so its cactus , but reflecting on my travels , there are cactus bushes every where , looks like I will have to have gander at some near my place, but yet again a lot where planted for the cactus flower , its edible , perhaps thats why they were used around the coach stops, very hardy plant and provides some nourishment , now the last one I saw out west was next to the old house I camped in , I cut the guts out of those long stems that were up in the power lines , saved the property owner a job , and it was not a cobb and co stop

My parents place has one of those cacti out the front and peppercorns out the back. It was an old slaughter house site back in the day.
I think i know of one old cob and co site ill try to get to one day but ill have my eyes peeled for cactus plants from now on.

For those with a bit more travel time at hand and wishing to swing a coil over the site in the photograph on the previous page.......there should be enough info posted in this thread to track it down. 8)

X marks the spot ;)

1531456509_f72a5884-db5e-4db2-9207-89697e6fca1f.jpg

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
what a fascinating topic, my initial thoughts was something that was buggerd , so its cactus , but reflecting on my travels , there are cactus bushes every where , looks like I will have to have gander at some near my place, but yet again a lot where planted for the cactus flower , its edible , perhaps thats why they were used around the coach stops, very hardy plant and provides some nourishment , now the last one I saw out west was next to the old house I camped in , I cut the guts out of those long stems that were up in the power lines , saved the property owner a job , and it was not a cobb and co stop

I went over to the Mudgee field days with the folks today, we saw a fair few of these plants, and Mum seemed to recall that you could get very fine fibres from the leaves of the them, and they used to use them as a type of dissolving suture. I'm not to sure on the accuracy of this information but sounds plausible to me.

A pretty versatile plant, known by a few names,
Agave Americana,Century plant & American Aloe.
One crafty fella makes didges out of them,calls
them ODDGERIDOOS, he plays them,sells heaps, so there
is not too many around the new england area
that have the long stems on them.

Only looked at se qld so havent got info on them south of the border . Mainly been checking the route between noosa and Gympie trying to locate their stop over pionts . Destroyed my minelab ( ran over it ) so have not found much . The two i have checked i pulled about 6 old coins but in poor condition a snuff tin ( silver) and so me gear too stuffed to reconize .
Good news l am on to one only 10 min from home so going to borrow mates detector next weekend and check it out

Latest posts