Finding the old Cobb and Co pubs.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro said:
The cactus was used to keep a population of Cocheneal (spelling) grubs for use in sarsperalla (spelling) brewing :eek: or so I was told many moons ago.
Cochineal is a food dye made from an insect, probably why my grandpa called all cordials bug juice.

Upside said:
This applies to country NSW , can't say it goes for any other states or territories.

Back in the days of unsealed bush tracks that Cobb and Co ran along in country NSW were old pubs every 10 miles. These pubs were not only for getting a beer in , they also served water for the thirsty horses of Cobb and Co , slugging it out in the Aussie heat, and also the drovers on nearby stock routes.

These days you'd be lucky to find many people still alive that remember where these old pubs were. Usually just bits of old red bricks and broken old glass are all thats left. Nearly impossible to find , but there is one major clue to look for that still exists alive and well all these years later.

Here it is....

https://holidaylettingsinfo.wordpress.com/2014/07/12/buangor-cobb-co-changing-station/

Computer crashed as I was writing that. Was going to say that 10-15 km apart in Victoria, and were commonly places to rapidly change tired horses for fresh ones to keep the coaches moving (as well as to serve the needs of passengers). One perfectly preserved at Buangor between Ararat and Beaufort on the Western Highway. My great-uncle, who I knew as a child, was a Cobb and Co, driver.

Here it is....
https://holidaylettingsinfo.wordpress.c g-station/

^^great links thanks.

What I've discovered is only through knowing country locals who've lived out in this part of NSW much longer than me.

One of my favourite places to visit is on an old Cobb and co route which is a town that once had over 800 people living there. The town was called Canonba. This town once had 4 pubs , a bank , police station etc. Overnight it became a ghost town once the new railway was built in nearby Nyngan.

All that's left of Canonba and another town next to it called Browntown these days is rubble and a few foundations and an old graveyard.

http://www.bogan.nsw.gov.au/your-shire/our-history

https://www.cobbandco.net.au/trails/area-trails/104-bogan-shire-area-trail

The mansion Mr Brown built is long gone but a local farmer knew exactly where it was on his neighbors farm. He said he wouldn't mind us detecting the area but the gate was locked so I didn't feel right jumping the fence even though it was tempting. One day I'll go back and knock on his door to ask permission.

There's a Cobb & Co station not very far outside Nowra, if you weren't shown where it was you would never find it. It's on the Braidwood road and besides passengers they used to carry wool from Braidwood to Huskisson where it was loaded onto ships for transport to Sydney to be put on a larger boat and carried off to mother England.

The inn (for want of a better word) was on one side of the road and the stables and paddocks were opposite on the other side of the road. There used to be fruit trees as mentioned but now they are all gone, either died or burnt in bush fires.

Tomorrow mornings detecting site

American Aloe and a massive peppercorn tree.

Unfortunately in eyesight of a central NSW campground, but hopefully no one has swung a NoX over it 8)

1530953422_image.jpg

After I thawed out, I went for a quick walk while the coffee was brewing.

Lots of trash but managed to cherry pick a few high tones before the coo-eee came across the fence.

Not confident the travel plans can forgo a return swing, but will contemplate revised travel plans over a cuppa.

1531004936_image.jpg

Hey Wally, pardon my ignorance,but ,am I right in thinking that you found the bottle stopper because of the ......... in the glass? I was going to say lead but".......
Mackka

Good question Mackka, the glass probably would have a high lead content.

The bottle stop popped out of a hole that contained some brass pipe and is a great indicator of the age of the site. Definitely older than the extracted 1928 penny.

I have included it in my treasures photo because I consider it one :D

Upside said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9866/1529409828_2018-06-19_22.03.21.jpg

This pic was taken next to the 2nd cactus pic. Another clue to finding these old pubs is how far off todays bitumen roads most of them are. The road in this pic is right back where the tree line behind my car is. There's usually no fences because they were stock routes for droving cattle.

Another clue is notice the big tree behind my car? It's a peppercorn tree. For some reason people planted them back then. No idea why but they stick out like a sore thumb. Every pub site I've hit has them.
I ve been working on a farm that is apparently the site for the original homestead from the early 1880's and it has peppercorns every ware we have been cutting them down. I think i ve found the old tip i can't wait to dig it. I reckon i ve seen those cactus out bush too thanks for this post man will keep an eye out for this stuff.

Latest posts