Finding the old Cobb and Co pubs.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This applies to country NSW , can't say it goes for any other states or territories.

Back in the days of unsealed bush tracks that Cobb and Co ran along in country NSW were old pubs every 10 miles. These pubs were not only for getting a beer in , they also served water for the thirsty horses of Cobb and Co , slugging it out in the Aussie heat, and also the drovers on nearby stock routes.

These days you'd be lucky to find many people still alive that remember where these old pubs were. Usually just bits of old red bricks and broken old glass are all thats left. Nearly impossible to find , but there is one major clue to look for that still exists alive and well all these years later.

Here it is.....

1529408562_2018-06-19_21.25.36.jpg

If you come across this cactus type plant , there once stood a Cobb and Co route pub. Why that cactus ? I've got no idea.

Not long ago I had a look around 1 pub and came across this little object.

1529408913_2018-06-19_21.45.49.jpg

It's about the size of a cigarette lighter. I'm gonna guess it's possibly off old furniture perhaps.

Another clue to help find these old pubs is they usually sat close to water. Creeks etc.

7.62marksman said:
If i remember correctly the jell can be used on wounds both animal and human
I could be wrong

Di you mean aloe vera? Not sure if thats aloe in the pic or not?

1529409828_2018-06-19_22.03.21.jpg

This pic was taken next to the 2nd cactus pic. Another clue to finding these old pubs is how far off todays bitumen roads most of them are. The road in this pic is right back where the tree line behind my car is. There's usually no fences because they were stock routes for droving cattle.

Another clue is notice the big tree behind my car? It's a peppercorn tree. For some reason people planted them back then. No idea why but they stick out like a sore thumb. Every pub site I've hit has them.

yeah, I've noticed a lot of old cactus and peppercorn trees around old European settlements in WA. God knows why but they seemed to love em

I was of the understanding that cacti, like prickly pear, were used in brewing beer to add the bitter taste. May be an old wives tale, though.

Dave79 said:
yeah, I've noticed a lot of old cactus and peppercorn trees around old European settlements in WA. God knows why but they seemed to love em

I've got a feeling perhaps they were planted out of necessity over aesthetics? Maybe I'm wrong dunno but they aren't nice looking plant life particularly.

I always go straight for the old peppercorns for a swing under. Usually find a few bits and pieces where people sat under once upon a time.

Fnx50 said:
I was of the understanding that cacti, like prickly pear, were used in brewing beer to add the bitter taste. May be an old wives tale, though.

Possibly. Its used in tequila so why not beer?

Who could I ring to find out what the link is? Historical society perhaps?

Latest posts