Finding the old Cobb and Co pubs.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Fred said:
Only looked at se qld so havent got info on them south of the border . Mainly been checking the route between noosa and Gympie trying to locate their stop over pionts . Destroyed my minelab ( ran over it ) so have not found much . The two i have checked i pulled about 6 old coins but in poor condition a snuff tin ( silver) and so me gear too stuffed to reconize .
Good news l am on to one only 10 min from home so going to borrow mates detector next weekend and check it out

Ran over the Minelab :(

Hope it was a go find?

narra said:
Upside said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9866/1529409828_2018-06-19_22.03.21.jpg

This pic was taken next to the 2nd cactus pic. Another clue to finding these old pubs is how far off todays bitumen roads most of them are. The road in this pic is right back where the tree line behind my car is. There's usually no fences because they were stock routes for droving cattle.

Another clue is notice the big tree behind my car? It's a peppercorn tree. For some reason people planted them back then. No idea why but they stick out like a sore thumb. Every pub site I've hit has them.
Peppercorn trees were used to hang meat as flys dont like peppercorn trees
Ah i didnt know that. Ill tell the bees love m

G'day

Large cacti plants similar to those are very common here in the west as well, found a lot around the old goldfields towns and often seen along many country roadsides, I always associated them with where an old house or building may have stood in the early years, for that matter any type of tree or shrub that I see off the road that is not native to here is a good indicator of some sort of structure being there many years ago, also I often see tall palm tress and also as mentioned peppercorn trees as well, interesting to know that the cobb and co coach stops were about ten miles apart, as I know where there is a plinth off the side of the road that states that a cobb and co coach stop once stood on that spot so I will look for likely spots further along that road as well.

I have tried to find out what those cacti were used for and have heard many stories, they must have had quite a few uses as they are very common, I have heard of the beer and alcohol brewing, also for medicinal use, and also that they were planted outside windows mainly to stop people easily climbing in as they are pretty vicious, back in the day robbery was common and they still had issues with the wild aborigines so I would think that if you wanted to be able to leave a window open on a hot night so you could get some sleep, anyone who tried to climb through the cactus to get in the window would have to be very tough to get through them without waking you up in the process.

https://www.bushlandperth.org.au/weeds/century-plant/

cheers

stayyerAU

Some farms in remote areas off the main roads also where used as exchange points for mail etc.
Trove dose have a few great articles of hold ups of the Cob!
Wealth of information. And some very amusing and funny ones too!

It's more like succulents. I would like to visit such an institution. Does anyone know if there are any restored or just in good condition?

StayyerAU said:
G'day

Large cacti plants similar to those are very common here in the west as well, found a lot around the old goldfields towns and often seen along many country roadsides, I always associated them with where an old house or building may have stood in the early years, for that matter any type of tree or shrub that I see off the road that is not native to here is a good indicator of some sort of structure being there many years ago, also I often see tall palm tress and also as mentioned peppercorn trees as well, interesting to know that the cobb and co coach stops were about ten miles apart, as I know where there is a plinth off the side of the road that states that a cobb and co coach stop once stood on that spot so I will look for likely spots further along that road as well.

I have tried to find out what those cacti were used for and have heard many stories, they must have had quite a few uses as they are very common, I have heard of the beer and alcohol brewing, also for medicinal use, and also that they were planted outside windows mainly to stop people easily climbing in as they are pretty vicious, back in the day robbery was common and they still had issues with the wild aborigines so I would think that if you wanted to be able to leave a window open on a hot night so you could get some sleep, anyone who tried to climb through the cactus to get in the window would have to be very tough to get through them without waking you up in the process.

https://www.bushlandperth.org.au/weeds/century-plant/

cheers

stayyerAU

A mate of mine makes didgeridoos out of the tubular growth from those cacti.... :Y:

I am only taking a guess but you can get a lot of moisture from them so they may have been an emergency source to help keep you alive in drought.
Jim
Ps great post by the way

I notice CTX Kidd hasn't replied again in this thread.......he must still be out searching for cacti! :)

Latest posts