el compadre

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
GREETINGS fellow dirt fishers. I have got out and about the last few days hunting with the compadre. tried an old country school but didn't turn up much. plenty of iffy ignals, but I didn't follow up. even solid signals don't allows produce. I had a few false readings in damp,mulchy type ground,even with discrim. around 2 o'clock mark.hmmmm,dunno.
managed $20 mostly from parks/playgrounds. it hits hard and clear on 20c upwards. 22 cases and zip part were 6 inches plus,and hard to see-retrieve. found a few magnets too, I was -attracted- to them. :lol: I find the holes I dig are bigger,deeper, trying to find tiny pieces. I am not sure if a pin pointer would help,whether it will be powerful for these targets. I prefer to save for a cibola or vaquero. it sure is a learning curve tho. light and easy to swing all day,battery life seems really good,one 9volt battery.
all good.
1402194976_photo0480.jpg

1402195006_photo0481.jpg

Not bad considering you are still getting used to the compadre, don't lose faith, as it will take a decent number of hours to become one with your machine. Upgrading straight away won't necessarily be the answer, as you will just end up digging even deeper targets, and making larger holes.

I'm pretty sure the Compadre has an internal pot for adjusting the sensitivity, it may be set too high for our ground from the factory, and require it to be wound back a bit.

Another thing I noted from the Compadre instruction manual, if you have it in discrimination mode, some strong junk signals may still be heard if close to the surface, even with the discrimination turned up (within 1" of the coil). In this case, run the coil an inch or so above those targets, and they should disappear, but good targets should still register.

A pinpointer is a must for coin/relic detecting, it will save time, and prevent you from having to dig such large holes. Once you get one, you will wonder how the heck you managed to detect without one. :)

Nice finds.

Don't open the detector and fiddle with
the internals.

Its not worth it. Leave it as is.

Its a good detector and i found a
wedding band With mine.

Keep it up.

the duck said:
And not a spoon amongst it, well done we will have you converted to the dark side of tesoro soon, once they talk to you they are hard to put down but you know when there is a coin under one

HAHAHA ducky, damn spoons.best one was a german gold plated christening table spoon, found next to my oldest coin find,1867 penny in good nick. the whole thing was pure ass. I firmly believe that we don't find things,they find us. my best finds were pure luck,bizzare even.
many I would have missed by inches otherwise. [ play twilight zone sound track]. :D

Goldpick said:
Not bad considering you are still getting used to the compadre, don't lose faith, as it will take a decent number of hours to become one with your machine. Upgrading straight away won't necessarily be the answer, as you will just end up digging even deeper targets, and making larger holes.

I'm pretty sure the Compadre has an internal pot for adjusting the sensitivity, it may be set too high for our ground from the factory, and require it to be wound back a bit.

Another thing I noted from the Compadre instruction manual, if you have it in discrimination mode, some strong junk signals may still be heard if close to the surface, even with the discrimination turned up (within 1" of the coil). In this case, run the coil an inch or so above those targets, and they should disappear, but good targets should still register.

A pinpointer is a must for coin/relic detecting, it will save time, and prevent you from having to dig such large holes. Once you get one, you will wonder how the heck you managed to detect without one. :)

Thanx GP. read about fiddling with the pot,me, I would prob. $$%^ it up, my luck. got $10.90 today in areas that have been hunted. again, they seem to be sweet picking.good for me eh. compadre sure runs hot,even turning up descrim. flat out,can;t get closer than 30 cm from playground equipment. going real slow helps somewhat. still dunno if even the whites p/p will find tiny targets at 6 inches plus. around $200 to find out eh. never had a prob. with the 305,always spot on. damn good unit for the $s. :)

Wolfau said:
Nice finds.

Don't open the detector and fiddle with
the internals.

Its not worth it. Leave it as is.

Its a good detector and i found a
wedding band With mine.

Keep it up.

Thanx W. yes no doubt. as a learner, I tend to run at 2 o'clock descrim. keepers as DUCKY says. not sure about it's ground balance capabilities tho. dig for miles and nothing,mbe falsing.if I ran it at 10 o'clock, I would be digging all the time it seems. ground I am hunting in should'nt be too hot.
I turn it on and pump it at the site,whether that helps, dunno. Tesoro manual tells ya nothing. recovery is the prob. persevere :cool: eh.

I would suggest the discriminator to be set at 12 oclock.

You could be missing small bits of gold jewelery.

Wolfau said:
Do some depth tests related to the discriminator.

I would suggest the discriminator to be set at 12 oclock.

You could be missing small bits of gold jewelery.

THANX again W. I have tried depth tests with coins. I have nearly given up a few times at 6 inches plus, only to force myself to check,and found coins.
I have read that good targets,coins etc will generally be around the 3-4 inches mark. there will be variables of course. even roman coins in the UK seem to be about 4-6 inches. I figure that if the target in our ''modern soil'' is deeper than 6 inches, give up.i guess it comes down to dig all iffy targets to get experience. cheers.

As you say it depends where your hunting if its really trashy i run at 2 oclock which still will pick up the occasional pull tab the cleaner the ground the more you can move it back to 10 oclock or even 9 should still rule out crown seals and if its clean you can run it right back
It depends on how you want to use the detector and this varies more with the owner than the detector, some people dig most things others dont and yes they will miss out on stuff for sure
I have a grassed area that i work that must have thousands of crown seals and ring pulls and if i did dig them all, id spend hours for very little return so i have high discrimination and if the pinpointer cant find it on the surface and i cant probe and screwdriver it out it stays there
on the other hand i have a beach thats as clean as a whistle i run it in all metal mode as you will not pick up a fine gold chain in discriminate mode, and i dig everything

Latest posts