EBay seller (USA) : Garrett will not allow me to sell to you.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggerts

Peter
Reaction score
Howdy all I was wondering if anyone had heard about Garrett not allowing international sales, as I went to buy an At pro from EBay only to find out from the seller "Garrett will not allow me to sell to you" as of Oct 1st. I have sent of an email to Garrett USA to find out what the go is, if anyone has any info regarding this it would be appreciated.

I did have the same discussion with an Australian dealer. He was saying that Garrett only wants you to buy via an authorised dealer. Dealers here would like to buy & sell at the US prices but minimum orders & import taxes etc. mean that they just can't compete with the OS prices...

On the other hand, if you buy local then you got a warranty to fall back on & advice.
Like any local business, if they see you being a regular, then you will get looked after price wise.

Maybe contact one of this site's sponsors & see if they can do you a deal.
I asked & did receive :D
By the time you'd ad postage from US, there was bugger all difference in price & felt good about keeping an Aussie business & site sponsor in business

I have found this also with motorcycle parts.
I used to buy KTM parts direct from dealers in the US for about 3/4 of the local prices including shipping but they have stopped selling to Australia and now I have to buy my spares at the inflated local price.
Ripped off again!

There are a few companies around that will help you get around this. They let you ship it to there address in the US then they transfer it to you. I know a few people who have used it with no problems. I can't remember the name of them but google should find it.
I'm all for supporting local but not when we are smacked with huge mark ups because they can only afford to buy one or two and therefor don't get the discounts.
I have seen the deep seeker package in the US for $2699 the cheapest I have seen here is $3999. Freight, taxes etc still don't justify a $1300 price difference.

DD

Thanks for the reply guys its frustrating i just save up enough to get myself a At pro pack with pro point, shoulder bag, detector bag, digging tool etc for $750 but over here lowest ive seen $975 for the unit only. Seems like everytime i have to pull out my wallet these days i need to touch my toes & Dont forget the loob.

Aussie Aussie Aussie.... we getting ripped off.

I am all for Aussie Made but I will be buggered if I'm going to get ripped off because this is exactly what it is. Almost everything is cheaper in the States but when we sell the same product over here, it's marked up high enough to reach heaven itself. Garret can ensure that we pay the same or similar prices over here plus postage of course but to be charged so much more, no sireeee. If Garret wants to play this way then we are fools to continue to support them I say.

Unfortunately we are a small market and a long way away.
Similar in other hobbies.
A popular kettle BBQ co starting with Weber has similar policies.
To make it worse we can't even buy products from OS that are not available thru OZ dealers.
A few have used the option of forwarding companies. Get it sent to a USA address and for a fee they ship it to you.

US prices are part of the economy of scale... The more units you sell the cheaper each can be.
An example of how small a market we are. India buys 14 Million motor bikes a year.
Australia 115000 or so. We are just to small a market.

Very true Rod, so I suppose the best way is to use a forwarding company. I will definitely look into this. The thing is that we're supposed to be good trading partners, just how good is the question. It really pees on one's fire when you go through the trouble to eventually sort out finances only to be hard done with a policy like that.

The way I see it with the internet, globalisation and free trade agreements that having a small market was the old excuse they are still trying to push, in todays economy why should it matter where a product is sold. Even software and music you download is much more expensive.

Makes you feel "special" being an Aussie.

I never buy in Australia anymore, im always purchasing things overseas.
If i could afford to support local businuess i would, but unfortunately the price descrepancy is to much.
My money goes to all corners of the globe instead of locally, and funnily enough i dont feel guilty whatsoever.

Heatho said:
The way I see it with the internet, globalisation and free trade agreements that having a small market was the old excuse they are still trying to push, in todays economy why should it matter where a product is sold. Even software and music you download is much more expensive.

Makes you feel "special" being an Aussie.

Great point Heatho.
I like to support Aussie companies but maybe those days are ending quickly.
Internet, modern communication has shrunk the world we live in.

Fellas don't get me wrong, I still support Aussie companies 100% but I think the importers hands are tied also, they don't get much say on pricing here in Aus. It seems to me the manufacturers work out the "special Aussie pricing" and the dealers here just have to suck it up and make some margin, not just on detectors but all products.

15 years ago a certain audio eq was $3000USD, special Aussie price was $11,000AUD, dunno how that worked. :mad:

I feel sorry for most Aussie retailers, they can't compete and it's not fair. I've done the same thing buying overseas but still try to buy locally.

Software companies are some of the worst offenders.

aggerts said:
Thanks for the reply guys its frustrating i just save up enough to get myself a At pro pack with pro point, shoulder bag, detector bag, digging tool etc for $750 but over here lowest ive seen $975 for the unit only. Seems like everytime i have to pull out my wallet these days i need to touch my toes & Dont forget the loob.

Aussie Aussie Aussie.... we getting ripped off.

Got the ebay link?

Local Garret prices are up more than the recent decline in the exchange rate would warrant, this ghettoisation of the market may explain it. (Locally my fairly recent Garrett AT Pro leapt from $800 to $1099, but I bought it lower).

Hay pete I cant link atm need 10 posts but you can see under txpremium on Ebay the Package Includes : Garrett Camo Detector Bag, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Edge Digger with Sheath, 8.5x11 Coil Cover, Garrett Land Headphones, Garrett Pro Pointer.

Price has gone down from late Sep.

Think you'll find he is not chucking in a pro pointer now though!
The cheapest At-pro with a pro pointer chucked in and the other bits i can see at the moment is US $764.

By the time you've added shipping and the possibility of customs fees and made the us to au $$$ conversion,you're looking at $1000 au.
My advice is to hang on just a bit longer.... it's getting near christmas and i wouldn't put it past Garrett to start making the usual chistmas bonus packages. (free pointer & digger etc) and put that in for the USA mrp of $637.45

On the subject of hanging on, check out a comment i made in the garrett ATX sticky.
That may well be too long away for you though, but...... (no postage & no customs) ;-)

Minelab also have conditions in place with their dealers in the USA not to sell back to Australia. Apparently if they do, they risk their distribution agreement with Minelab. Tough call! But when you can buy one of their products in the US and save any where between $300 to $1000 on the Australian price, and that's from a licenced minelab dealer! If you know any one going to the States, get them to buy what you want and send it home!

Latest posts