Do i need a four wheel drive?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do i need a four wheel drive to go gold detecting in Western Australia? Around sandstone and the pilbara area. The plan was to fly to WA and hire a 4x4 but with the coronavirus wrecking havoc I'm thinking of hitching the small ultra light van onto the 2 wheel drive hilux and driving to WA with the wife and detecting on pending ground around sandstone and the pilbara. Having a 4x4 doesn't mean you can't get into trouble and because we will be one vehicle even having a 4x4 we would still have to be careful where we went. I'll take recovery tracks ,a high lift jack and shovel and a few other things to assist in getting out of the shit. I love my 2wd hilux and I'm not real impressed with the new 4x4 s on the market. I know I'll have to get a new 4x4 eventually but for this first trip I'm hoping to go with a car i know well and trust. Any suggestions?

As Grubstake said, ground clearance and suspension durability are the main thing, more important than 4x4.

A bit of rain in WA will pull up a 4x4 just as easily as it will a 2 wheel drive. When it rains stay put and definitely don't drive on pastoral lease tracks in the wet.
Where 4x4 has a big edge is when navigating rock strewn fields and bush bashing through mulga etc, throw it in 4x4 low and just idle through without stalling or having to be heavy on the clutch

I had a little all wheel drive vehicle with center dif lock. It was awesome and went most everywhere. But It could not go up rough hills without cooking the clutch. So I got a Sierra ... needed the low range.

If you stay on established tracks, avoid soft sandy crossings, don't go across country, don't drive on salt lakes, you'll be ok.

As madtuna said if it rains stay put.

Thanks for all the input fellas, yes i did read last night that a few doctors want to close the WA border. I think they're over reacting a bit. The virus will run its course in the end ,that's how it is in my opinion.

Snapperhappy said:
Thanks for all the input fellas, yes i did read last night that a few doctors want to close the WA border. I think they're over reacting a bit. The virus will run its course in the end ,that's how it is in my opinion.

Not an over reaction if it involves travel through indigenous lands and communities and IMO this should have been done already in all states.
It seriously could decimate communities that are rife with diabetes, heart disease and a multitude of other health related problems that put them in the most vulnerable bracket plus very limited access to decent health care or resources.

Same as here in the NT, the remote co.munities have restricted access.
With the health problems that already exist there, and an immune system several thousand years isolated from western bugs, combined with different hygeine standards, these commu ities are particularly vulnerable.

As said. I don't think any healthy 2wd Hilux will have any major issues standard.
You must prep for a sit in after rain reguardless of what you drive out there.
Two tyre cases without wheels fitted way bigger all.
I recommend taking at least one + the spare.
If it's an older Hilux, you should have no trouble finding a 2nd hand bull bar cheap for it to accommodate a winch.
One Skippy going there can ruin the whole trip!
Be prepared to replace upgrade front springs to accomadate the weight of a steel bar and winch but.
Pushing 80 -> 100kg.
Dobinson's springs in QLD are great for dealing with.
They will calculate lift needed to compensate weight/ ride height etc.
Aussie made springs.
Rear springs are best best thrown .
Reshaping radius is a waste of money unless re-temperered.
So might as well just get new!
Ask for standard pack plus an extra leaf under the 2nd main leaf, an inch shorter than the 2nd
Stick with rubber in the springs, nolathane rides way to hard. And they get squeaky as hell.
Plenty of good info in the camping 4wd threads here .

I traveled a lot in WA with an early Transit van with good ground clearance, later model engine, 5 speed box and locker diff. Towed a diesel ATV to get into really tough areas. When it rained I stayed put until it dried out. Lots of fuel, water and food. A good tool kit and spare wheels. Never had a problem.
Oh, a GPS and spare batteries, always logged in waypoints.

Want to go a bit further,
Fit them with brass bush's and carry
a grease gun.
And lube with Molly grease.
Problem solved.
Just grease them every 2,000 K's.

wish I could...

mudgee hunter said:
As said. I don't think any healthy 2wd Hilux will have any major issues standard.
You must prep for a sit in after rain reguardless of what you drive out there.
Two tyre cases without wheels fitted way bigger all.
I recommend taking at least one + the spare.
If it's an older Hilux, you should have no trouble finding a 2nd hand bull bar cheap for it to accommodate a winch.
One Skippy going there can ruin the whole trip!
Be prepared to replace upgrade front springs to accomadate the weight of a steel bar and winch but.
Pushing 80 -> 100kg.
Dobinson's springs in QLD are great for dealing with.
They will calculate lift needed to compensate weight/ ride height etc.
Aussie made springs.
Rear springs are best best thrown .
Reshaping radius is a waste of money unless re-temperered.
So might as well just get new!
Ask for standard pack plus an extra leaf under the 2nd main leaf, an inch shorter than the 2nd
Stick with rubber in the springs, nolathane rides way to hard. And they get squeaky as hell.
Plenty of good info in the camping 4wd threads here .

Latest posts