DD coils and the SPP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received a pot today but will not fit.Have ordered a different type today finger crossed this one will work .
Karl sounds like you had a good time a your sisters place was it gold regards john :)

In had look inside of SPP to see how difficult it would be to add fine tuning pot. As Reg posted, GB pot is 10K . Adding 1K pot would extend GB to about 12 and alow fine tuning. One full turn of 1K would cover one division of existing GB pot. But, there is no room inside of SPP for extra pot. And if I do diode mod, I need to find placie where to put switch. I may have to put small Jiffy box on the side to accommodate all those extras.
Also I have done C42 mod, but not much testing. But it seems to stop detector from squealing when you lay it down.
John, I crushed that quartz this morning, no gold. It must been pyrite.
Karl

Sorry to here that Karl next time I am not into electronics so I think my SPP will be staying standard once the new pot arrive I will try it regards john

HI just pick up a parcel from the post office its what I have been waiting for opened it up and it has a bent shaft what a bugger regards john :)

1412805711_p1040356.jpg
1412805729_p1040361.jpg
1412805752_p1040358.jpg
Managed to get it working just gave it a quick go out the back seemed OK .I will try it on some mineralized ground today that will tell me if it fixes the hiccups or not using a 14x7 advantage N/F regards john :)

Just got back from a hours detecting on a bit of red ground and diggings the detector only hiccupped once I ground balanced on the spot and it was OK. I cannot say at this stage its a fix but I am very happy with the results so fare
1412812995_p1040362.jpg

Found this testing to day I am going to order a better vernier made in Japan regards john :)

The mod sounds real good so far Oldhand and a nice little nugget as well. Oldhand did you replace the hole pot or just place a vernier control on top of the original? :)

Now don't get to complicated ,it just sit on top of the original pot if you have a look the Philips screw is screwed in to the original spindle shaft just take the plastics knob of ,when I set it up I had the ground balance turned to max and the vernier to the end of its rotation ,I do not know if it will turn the ground balance off but that does not matter to me on the mineralized ground .I have just ordered a new vernier it should be a lot better than the one I am using its made in japan regards john :) yes that bit of gold was a suprise

Ronnie i'm sure a mate used a DD on a whites ok will check with him when he comes home (in NZ at the moment) and let you know Flaxton ;)

Hi. Flaxton. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll have loads of useful information for the forum when your mate returns. Ronnie. :lol:

A while back I mentioned I had an idea of how we could use a DD coil on the SPP. Well, Luke took on the task of building the box I figured we would need and has began some initial testing.

Well, at first it looked like all was a failure but after discussing just what was happening, I think the DD is useable providing people understand what is happening and how the detector has to be set up.

Using the initial suggestions didn't seem to work, especially if one tried to turn the gain up. However, with the gain much lower, it did seem to work but didn't do well on small gold. However, on larger objects like a copper penny, it did quite well, meaning the depth was impressive on the coin even at the low gain.

After giving the information I got from Luke some thought, I think I have figured out what is happening and most likely why it doesn't seem to work. There are still a couple of things I haven't figured out, but I think I will in time.

The problem lies in the wire used in the ML coils and how it affects the decay curve of the signal. For a coil to work right on the SPP, it has to decay properly to a suitable level before the 10 usec sampling. That isn't happening on the ML compatible DD coils. However, they are within range that the circuitry still does work. So, instead of acting normally, they act totally odd with, among other things, not being able to ground balance.

What isn't known is the coil sort of acts hypersensitive. This can happen when a coil is at the edge of working. When a coil is acting this way, it can have considerably greater gain, meaning what happens at a gain of 10 on a normal coil could happen at a gain of 3 or 4 or even less on a hypersensitive one. Turning the gain to max simply over powers all circuitry.

To make matters worse, the design of the overlap zone on a DD coil makes a big difference as to how small gold is detected.

So, in simple terms, this little project and the solution are more complex than initially thought. I am fairly certain people wanting the DD to find bigger objects will find it can be done. Small gold is a different story. The coil physical layout of the windings is what influences the small gold detection as much as anything. I am not sure just how much of an influence the idea of using a piece of lead tape might help after adding other parts in the form of a black box between the coil and the detector.

So, in simple terms, the problem isn't solved but the coil could be useable on coins, etc but still needs more done to use on small gold. We are working on it still. Well, the truth is Luke is doing all the work.

In the mean time, you might try the DD but set the gain at minimum and see if it GB's and if it does, then turn the gain up until it no longer GB's and then back it back down to just where it does. It might need the black box to even work at minimum gain. That is something I don't know just yet. My SPP is down for repairs, so I can't check.

Reg

Reg, What you said sounds exactly right about DD coils and how they respond on the SPP. Do you think Miner john from razorback coils could make a compatible DD coil for the SPP?

Hi Roscoe,

I can say the ML DD coils don't work right here on the SPP but mine do, so I am guessing that Miner John's DD coils would work there since he will be using a lot of my techniques and I am guessing mine would work there.

I have been waiting for Miner John to get back home so I can talk to him about making a few test coils. Hopefully, he will be back soon.

Did you get the email from Luke about my needing your video again. If you can send me a link and make it available to me and who I send it to, it would help greatly. My hands are tied on saying more.

Getting back to DD coils, I am learning more and more about them and what happens when they are built. I never saw the failure of the DD because I used to cheat on Eric's machines and changed the delay. This took care of the problem.

Well, we can't do that with the SPP.

Reg

Latest posts