Damage to the banks of a creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Today i went to Russell creek only to find some idiot dug into the bank not far from the bridge .Why can't people just do the right thing and keep to the rules ,before we know it this will be another place we cannot prospect on .

I've never even been prospecting (yet) but this boils my blood. I wonder how many places that are open to prospecting now will be closed off by the time I manage to get to them...I shudder to think.

Jinx said:
Today i went to Russell creek only to find some idiot dug into the bank not far from the bridge .Why can't people just do the right thing and keep to the rules ,before we know it this will be another place we cannot prospect on .

hi mate,
can you pls take a photo of it next time you go?

is this a designated prospecting area?...if yes I can understand totally.

im wondering why they dug into the bank, were they chasing an old wash layer and possibly a previouse direction the creek took prior to this bridge being built?

scott :cool:

Understandable!? I don't think so, it's contrary to the conditions of our Miners Right. As for the reasons why.... i observed no washdirt layer or underlying rock formation in the cut area, it 's just loose sand and silt. When i saw it it looked like the intention was to bench the area - but for what purpose?

The Tanjil Valley Landcare Group has oversite in this area. Also I'm told that the local residents do record the rego numbers of cars parked on the road.

Act responsibly and within the conditions of your Miners Right to protect our continued access.

casper

Reactions: 20x
The problem with digging banks ,unlike digging holes is it''s not only is against the rules but you can't really fill it back in.

Reactions: 20x
People look at the creek bed and think because others have been there before there's no gold in the creek bed but if they dug the creek bed they would find some gold but no they dig the bank . It all comes down to greed these people do not care about our hobby and when our hobby is banned these same people will still do what they want because they do not think the rules apply to them .

it may not have been a prospector. Unless we see them doing it we I don't think we need to take blame.
I have seen many holes made in river banks by many different things, animals, people fishing digging for worm etc.

dave14110 said:
it may not have been a prospector. Unless we see them doing it we I don't think we need to take blame.
I have seen many holes made in river banks by many different things, animals, people fishing digging for worm etc.

True! ....... but in this case the fresh spade cuts and boot prints tell the story and the only other vehicle apart from mine had recently departed.

This is one of the holes as it was a few months back when we came across it, pretty bad. Lucky its a tight nit community down there and number plates and vehicles types have been noted.
1399200199_10154654_617309208350778_356891065_n-optimized.jpg

Looks like natural erosion to me...after all it is on the outside eb where water would play force during rain

Mr Boring said:
Looks like natural erosion to me...after all it is on the outside eb where water would play force during rain
And are all those tailings natural too? Its 100% hand dug.

I would love one day just to set up in eyesight of the bank diggers and smash out some serious yellow midstream. For all the effort to dig that far up and in you would have to consider just test panning up and down to get a better result with less effort! Ah well, it takes all types. I'm sure one day in the not to distant future I'll find someone doing this and watch the results. I'm just a little perplexed what drives them to do it, most gold I've ever found is in the middle of two banks, maybe I'm just missing something, but I'll bet a dollar and my highbanker the best gold in that system isn't in that hole.

looks natural to me to and I don't see your tailings either just what could be natural river wash.

I've seen many undercut banks, I got told by another prospector that the best thing to do is to "Drop them" as when animals or people walk on top it could drop and collapse, which would cause the animal or person potential for harm. 8)

dave14110 said:
looks natural to me to and I don't see your tailings either just what could be natural river wash.
Are you seriously telling the people that have actually been there before and after the damage was done, drove past the same cars week after week, Walked along a suddenly very well worn track, Talked to the locals that have been asking about the damage that they have all got this wrong based on your opinion of a photo? This damage has been covered in other posts, one bloke told me they found an old tailing pile and ran it without luck, another local bloke told me they found a nugget and pulled a few ounces out, when a river only has one real public access point the locals are going to notice what goes on. I didnt post the pic asking for verification.

There is another hole in the bank close to the bridge with a pile of tailings near it.

Balx all I said is it looks natural. I have seen many a creek like this particularly after a storm. You showed a photo I made an opinion based on a photo. You have also been there I haven't. I have seen tiny creeks in 15-20 foot gullies down to bedrock and a year or two later no gully & full of river rocks & the tiny creek now 15 feet wide & 2 feet deep . After talking to a mate he said all the creek in the area I was in do it regularly. Nature is impressive & as stated I don't know this spot. So don't take it the wrong way, it was just a general comment on a photo. the only part of photo that I could see that looked like it may not be natural or was created by someone was the gap in the blackberries. As everyone knows they are a pest anyway. If this gap wasn't there then nobody would the undercut ground. give it 6 months nobody else will either if they don't do something. Which they won't because they can't be poisoned due to water & to expensive to control. Yeah I am serious.

dave14110 said:
Balx all I said is it looks natural. I have seen many a creek like this particularly after a storm. You showed a photo I made an opinion based on a photo. You have also been there I haven't. I have seen tiny creeks in 15-20 foot gullies down to bedrock and a year or two later no gully & full of river rocks & the tiny creek now 15 feet wide & 2 feet deep . After talking to a mate he said all the creek in the area I was in do it regularly. Nature is impressive & as stated I don't know this spot. So don't take it the wrong way, it was just a general comment on a photo. the only part of photo that I could see that looked like it may not be natural or was created by someone was the gap in the blackberries. As everyone knows they are a pest anyway. If this gap wasn't there then nobody would the undercut ground. give it 6 months nobody else will either if they don't do something. Which they won't because they can't be poisoned due to water & to expensive to control. Yeah I am serious.
My bad, I assumed your serious opinion was based on the entire thread not just the picture. My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts