Ctx Madness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
silver said:
Heatho said:
I'm happy with the scraps fellas, just wonder what type of hoard the other bloke got. :D
He got NUTHIN,....your getting it all,....whoever was there before you was just a cleaner for modern shallow rubbish, with a one to two inch depth(max) on their machine, and a needle guage that gave them little or no I formation to go on,...so they only ever would have dug the screaming targets on the near surface area, not ever realizing the potential that still lay beneath their feet. ;)

Yeah you're probably right mate. Or mbasko could be right, lol. Would be nice if there was a Sov there somewhere......

Been out detecting each day for the last few days with nothing really interesting to report, been averaging about $45 a session, got a Shilling and Sixpence today as well but they were in rotten condition due to being in a beach for the last half a century.

Though one thing I'm wondering is if I've found a Cartwheel Penny, there is a rim around this piece of copper and I can almost make out an outline of a head on one side but it's very very hard to tell. Anyway, may never know but I sort of get the feeling it is one. Hard to see the rim in the pics but there is one there that I can see.....

1439284018_20150811_185349.jpg

1439284018_20150811_185438.jpg

rocketaroo said:
get the measurements of a cartwheel penny, and compare :)

Hmmmm just did that mate and it's 36mm, doesn't weigh 28.3g though....... I'm wondering if a few grams has corroded off?

Diameter is right for one but the weight isn't

That's the way mate. Not going to find many coins sitting on the lounge. Gotta put the hours in.
Yesterday on my way home I hit 5 tot lots. First one I got $1.25. Last one $2 8.( Then spied a $5 note on the ground walking back to the car. Now I know why I avoid tot lots.

Ramjet said:
That's the way mate. Not going to find many coins sitting on the lounge. Gotta put the hours in.
Yesterday on my way home I hit 5 tot lots. First one I got $1.25. Last one $2 8.( Then spied a $5 note on the ground walking back to the car. Now I know why I avoid tot lots.

I avoid them too mate, I've never done any good at them either...... Speccing a fiver is always good. :)

rocketaroo said:
if its the right diameter, and looks the right age/material......

I know, pretty odd it's exactly the right size for one.

I reckon corrosion could eat a certain persentage, the object is 24.4g should be 28.3g for a Cartwheel, that's I think 13.73% of the weight missing. I guess it's possible, at least a third of the Shilling I found today had become corroded.

You would have to say it is a cartwheel if the size is correct, the tell tale rim is definitely a give away, even though it is heavily worn. The excessive wear would most likely account the missing 3.9 grams considering how thick they are. Nice score. :)

Cheers GP, pity it's so badly worn but still happy to have found it. Was on an oval which was once a land fill, there is so much junk in the groud there the CTX was nearly useless, this was the only good target I could find in the 20 mins I was there.

Wish I knew where the soil came from that they top dressed it with...... :)

Some of those sites are a real pain to detect. I found a few parks and ovals that had been built over old industrial sites, or with modern rubbish laden fill in Adelaide. Most are simply not worth the effort, no matter what detector you are using. Though in your particular instance, the fill may have originated from somewhere half interesting for a change. ;)

Got out today for a few hours, what's left of the gold watch gave me a heart start, almost though it was a gold ring at first but it's just plated junk, oh well, hopefully next hunt. Thought I'd post the junk I dug too this time, even the CTX gets it's fair share of junk.......

1439455911_20150813_170113.jpg

1439455911_20150813_170132.jpg

1439455911_20150813_170216.jpg

1439455911_20150813_170313.jpg

Latest posts