New "flogged" grounds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Took a drive today to seek out a new spot or two, the hunts are getting further from home month by month.
Was swinging in a park (2nd for the day) and ran into a guy interested in my shooting. He opened up and was wondering if I'd hit on anything decent. Oddly I hadn't and he revealed I'd be second to the place to himself and at least one other shooter. I'd picked up a 5c so obviously I was reluctant to say I'd gotten anything. Any how he was a nice guy and told me about some of his finds and I instantly became more interested. I like a challenge so after a ten minute chat he left and I went back to it.

My first choice of spots was packed with people and he had mentioned he had worked that also. But I do love a challenge! Over the next 40 mins I slowed down and dug any solid iffy signals. Popped out 5c and 10c pieces all over a 10mx10m area. Then I got two great digs in a row. Up first a deep 1c and then a 1914 penny. The junk was pretty heavy but the f75 proved it's worth yet again finding goodies left behind. I knew then I still had hunting grounds despite the competition.

Headed to another park and a young guy made a bee line. Getting my attention he launched into all manner of questions. From this I could tell he was a shooter and asked him outright. He smiled and proudly showed me his phone full of pics of the coins he had pulled from the park we were in with his 3030. My first reaction internally was defeat, my next was let's see what I can get. He wished my luck and I went to detecting.

Now I'm no expert, but I can find coins. I started in all the most likely spots. The guy must have been busy, there was metres of tone less ground and little surface junk. After 20 mins I was wondering if I had been truly bested. But I had to find one! I cranked everything up in my favour and doubled down.

I methodically searched EVERY edge in that park. As surface hunters we get tired, lazy and like easy most of the time. I went where I thought was least likely to be hit and BANG, a solid 68. Before I dug it I knew it was a 1c. Out popped a little BB about 7 inches down. Now we're talking!

I combed the entire edges, and 1 by 1 they came out. And they were beautiful. I scored a threepence (1911), sixpence (1942), half penny(1953), shilling(1943) , and (gouged by the lesche ouch!) Florin(1951). A silver flush! A few BBs and modern silvers to round the two hours out. I went home with the wind in my sails and not much in my pocket, I'll put that right up there with my best hunt in a long while, and thus proved no hunt need be unsuccessful no matter the odds. I'll get a pic up.
1435402534_img_20150627_205435.jpg

Welldone :) Pretty lucky here, rarely see other turf detectorists, and never any that are detecting. Beaches are different though.

Great story and a great win there GT, congrats on the hard won silver flush.

Nice finds & Great read

good to know that even when a spot has been thought to of been done, there is all ways something left behind somewhere :D

Cheers guys, just waiting to get back to the original spot, forgot it was school holidays there was families galore, can't work under that scrutiny.
It's funny I've picked up nearly 40 silvers in the last 6 months but these really felt good. I've stopped posting for various reasons but I had to share with you guys as this one was a great one. I'm afraid to put up just how well I'm doing overall to avoid encouragement of activity, I've noticed some really poor form in the locality lately, and could do without the competition. In the last 6 weeks (wet ground) I have truly been smashing it. I'd like to upgrade but can't justify the cost for a few extra potential finds. The old f75 loves the goldies and deep silvers despite opinions out there that hate the Fisher, would love the newest version less emi and boost, I'd stop going to work haha.

Latest posts