CTX addiction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Silver - makes sense to me now.
Duck - I'm not hitting pockets of coins anymore but you are right there's still acres to search, I'll just have to get creative.

went wading at Altona last night. Usually spot yielded bugger all except a good looking ring no markings though :(

However I found a nice deep cut a fair way out. Most of the coins are very crusty so this stuff has been there a long time.
Got a good signal which looked like a penny but I've never found pre-decimals at Altona before, decided to dig it anyway. First scoop left the signal in the hole.
Something heavy was jumping around in the scoop, at first it looked like a chunk of glass... lucky I checked more carefully in the moon light. Turned out to be a decent chunk of crystal. At the beach????
Anyway got the penny. So crusty I had no idea what it was until I got it home and carefully chipped off the crud.

Will be heading back to Altona soon to see what else is there.
1451017730_24_dec_15_altona_cut.jpg

Great lil haul mate :) amazing how much crust was on the penny b4 clean

That crystal seems a bit different.. mabey upload some more angles mate? Seems like quartz..but not completely positive...it nearly resembles calcite I dig crystals down the beach a fair bit mate..they will be with all your heavies in gutters

Atomrat, it's interesting that you get crystals, I've been using the CTX at the beach alot and I've never found a crystal. My wife wondered if someone had thrown it into the sea?
Will post more pics if I can get a chance tomorrow. Wouldn't mind finding some more...very interesting.

I think AR might mean that you lucked on one that could usually be found in the deeper gutters because of the target you were chasing being in the same geographical type location. :D

Yes, I meant digging crystals. Easy access to crystals are rock bars along the beach, usually volcanics are close sometimes. I think there is some whites detector that supposibly can detect crystals..and there supposibly are 'crystal detectors' ...but my eyes, shovel n sieve do the finding of beach gems for me :)

thanks Silver, maybe I've never hit many deep gutters & hence no crystals before?

Atomrat - here's a closer photo of the crystal. I'd be curious to know what it's made of if possible?
The photo makes it appear more smoky than it is to the eye. I can see my finger clearly through it.
1451182532_altona_crystal_2015.jpg

I don't know if I'm gonna get yelled at for this...haha ..but it looks frightfully like a massive topaz.
To do a calcite test, put it on a magazine with writing or anything with words. When you look at the crystal and look at the words, turning the crystal while its on the paper / words, will make them 'double vision' or split ..

I'd do a specific gravity test mate. It will give you your best answer. I like it :D A LOT

Coukd possibly help if you post it in the gems and mineral section somewhere too for help identifying it, but s.g test is the way. If its topaz.. wow.

Latest posts